Selling inside (into) California

PDA

drjconley
November 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
I live in California. I have seen a few sellers state that they wont sell to a person in California. Is it a major hassle to sell inside this state? What is the process of an out of state person selling a gun to a California resident?

Thank You,

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling inside (into) California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
November 17, 2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.novarata.net/0.gif

Librarian
November 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
I live in California. I have seen a few sellers state that they wont sell to a person in California. Is it a major hassle to sell inside this state? What is the process of an out of state person selling a gun to a California resident?

There are two major considerations: political and practical.

Politically, there are strong feelings that California deserves ostracism for the idiotic laws its legislature inflicts on us.

That overflows into the practical: our 'assault weapon' law makes it difficult to determine what is legal to send into CA, our Roster of Handguns limits the handguns that can be sent here, and the CFLC program (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php) adds an intrusive hoop to jump through for an FFL.

Aside from that, it's all rainbows and unicorns, just like everything else in CA.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page).

Sir Aardvark
November 17, 2010, 11:24 PM
Bunch of rules to follow!

Hold on to your hat for this one, it will make your head spin!!!

To ship a gun into California you need special permission to do it. Just read the following...

First off, if it's a handgun, it needs to be on California's approved handgun list:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Then, the person (FFL Holder) shipping the gun must obtain a "Firearms Shipment Approval Number" from CADOJ Bureau of Firearms prior to shipping a firearm. A new number is needed for every shipment:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php

And, if you receive firearms in California, you must be listed on the Centralized List of firearms dealers, or, in other words, be an FFL Licensed gun dealer.

When I sold guns in California, I needed 7 seperate licenses, permits, and certificates in order to do business.

I'm sure there is something I missed - California's laws are so nutty and everchanging that I can no longer keep track of everything, but, in short - YES! - it is a pain in the butt to do firearms business in California!

And just wait until 2012 when California bans mail-order sales of ammunition.

dogtown tom
November 17, 2010, 11:34 PM
It took me less than ten minutes to register with CDOJ so I could ship guns to California.

It adds all of ONE minute on the computer to print out a transaction number for each shipment.

Small price to pay to stick it to the anti's.

natman
November 18, 2010, 04:34 AM

First, the seller must confirm that the gun is legal in CA, i.e., on the CA approved list of handguns, not an assault rifle, etc.

From a private party: The seller ships to an FFL in the buyer's state (CA), just like in every other state.

From an FFL: The FFL has to register with the CA CFLC program. This is about as complicated as registering with this forum.
Then for each transaction, the FFL has to get a number from CFLC. This is about as complicated as posting a message in this forum.

Shadow 7D
November 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
Dude, I can buy stuff from Russia easier than dealing with that BS

natman
November 18, 2010, 12:22 PM
Dude, I can buy stuff from Russia easier than dealing with that BS
Point 1) I doubt that you can buy a firearm and have it shipped from Russia with less paperwork than shipping a firearm to CA.

Point 2) I'm just the messenger. I don't agree with or support any of CA's extra layers of bureaucracy. I just follow them and wanted to give a realistic summation of how much extra effort is involved.

If you don't want to ship firearms to CA because of it, that's your prerogative.

You'll make the people who wrote the laws very happy.

jhansman
November 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
What Natman said. Those who refuse to sell to Calif. buyers because of the idiotic laws are only playing into the hands of the antis, both in and not in the legislature. They may think they are registering some kind of protest, but all they are really doing is helping to keep guns out of the hands of legally qualified owners. We all understand the problem (at least, I think we do), but not selling in Calif. is not sending a message to the lawmakers. The two vendors I continue to buy from online (Bud's and R&R Arms) both made sure they were compliant as soon as the newest requirements were stupidly put into place.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling inside (into) California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!