Poster caption needed

PDA

Oleg Volk
January 23, 2003, 06:50 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/then-now_s.jpg

Here's my situation: I have this image which I like a great deal. I'd like to pick a caption which carries one of the following messages:

1. complying with gun control is more dangerous than resisting

OR

2. gun control put kids in danger back then, and does now

OR

3. times haven't changed all that much, governments still can't be trusted

OR

...maybe something else entirely. I feel that the current captions are too didactic and waste the potential of the image. I got about tewnty different captions and like none of them. Ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Poster caption needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drizzt
January 23, 2003, 06:53 PM
2. gun control put kids in danger back then, and does now

I think this is the better of the three.

kalibear45
January 23, 2003, 06:55 PM
Knowledge is Power, Educate your Children

Freedom has no age limit

Diesle
January 23, 2003, 07:00 PM
Ive seen some of your last efforts... I think your posters can speak for themselves... What I mean is, you seem to spell out what it is the viewer is looking at in the caption at the top in your posters. Often times, the image already says it all. So, all you really end up needing is some simple hook phrase. My opionion only of course....

In this one, if you put the Jewish arm band around the girls left arm, everyone will know she is a German Jew of WW2 times.

Then just a simple hook like...

This tool saved my life...or,

My gun, my freedom....

Again, just my opionion... Thanks for your effort though!!!

Diesle

CZ-75
January 23, 2003, 07:03 PM
I think you should paraphrase Santayana: those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

I think overtly drawing attention to "children" is a negative. Let them draw that inference from the image themselves, so choices 1 or 3 for me please.

Hell, there are people afraid of brass casings when it comes to the "children."

HS/LD
January 23, 2003, 07:04 PM
Nazis tried to disarm this girl and her family in 1938...

Luckily for her Great Grand Daughter they didn't succeed!

...Learning from History!

Just a thought.

Regards,
HS/LD

spacemanspiff
January 23, 2003, 07:12 PM
"Family values include protecting your home.
Share this task with all members of your family."

4570Rick
January 23, 2003, 07:24 PM
Tried to think of some catchy line, then came to Diesle's post.
I'm not a Jew but got an instant lump in my throat.
Keep up the good work.:)

Ed Brunner
January 23, 2003, 07:26 PM
Teach the children well.

Their lives might depend on it.

Bainx
January 23, 2003, 07:28 PM
I'm with HS/LD's caption.

citizen
January 23, 2003, 07:34 PM
Let me be negatively positive; offer some constructive criticism.

As a viewer, I am denied a complete image. What, these girls have no feet? An image cropped has a similar effect on the concept; incomplete. In this case, the crediblity of the message lacks "grounding" in reality; becomes illusory.

May be much easier to complete caption with an entire image.
Complete the human subjects and it will complete the concept.
Especially with the "period" clothing they're wearing.

(Not claiming to know better; just HTH.)

Safety First
January 23, 2003, 07:37 PM
That could'nt happen in the U.S.A....could it?

CZ-75
January 23, 2003, 07:38 PM
Nazis tried to disarm this girl and her family in 1938..Luckily for her Great Grand Daughter they didn't succeed!.

I like this one too. Though grand-daughter seems more in keeping with timeframe.

May I suggest, as the final hook phrase, "Learn from history...or repeat it"

BerettaNut92
January 23, 2003, 07:43 PM
Maybe have one of the girls wear some Jewish paraphernalia just to make it a little more obvious?

How about saying if it can't happen in America, point out how Jewish immigrants were turned around (I think?)

OF
January 23, 2003, 07:51 PM
"With this suppressed HK I can whack bad guys and still hear the phone ring!"

:)

- Gabe

Col. Mustard
January 23, 2003, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see "Nazis" in the opener replaced by "Hitler"; I think the name focuses the evil more clearly. Perhaps change "didn't" to "disobeyed"...

Then I'd like to see the Santayana quote, attributed, as the "punchline."

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Oleg Volk
January 23, 2003, 09:32 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/predict2_s.jpg (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/predict2.jpg)
I wanted to use both images for contrast, but the single old-timey photo seems to work better. Relies on some knowledge of history by the viewer though...

DeltaElite
January 23, 2003, 09:39 PM
Homework?

I didn't do it, got a problem with that? :evil:

King
January 23, 2003, 09:40 PM
I like this last picture Oleg. What if it said "our kids" instead of "your kids"?

It's a powerful image.........Those who see it will understand.

Blackhawk
January 23, 2003, 10:34 PM
IN 1938, NO ONE KNEW
THAT IN FIVE YEARS
THIS GIRL WOULD
HAVE TO FIGHT
FOR HER LIFE.

SHE KNEW HOW TO USE
THE TOOLS SHE NEEDED.

WOULD YOU?

I like the second poster with the one girl better. It has more impact.

Freedom in theSkies
January 23, 2003, 10:48 PM
THIS COUNTRY BROUGHT IN
GUN CONTROL

(background of your poster)

AND OVER 6 MILLION
PEOPLE PAID THE PRICE FOR IT...

Freedom in theSkies
January 23, 2003, 11:07 PM
Oleg,
I was talking about gun control in Canada with a customer yesterday and he related a story to me...

Seems he was living in the Ukraine when the Nazis invaded. The Ukraine goverment had imposed a mandatory registration a couple of years earlier, presumably to help the gov't prepare to organize a peasant army. When the Nazis rolled in to town, they went to the magistrates office and found out who owned guns. They then went around the town and searched every house.
There was this elderly gentleman who had an old gun that was not registered and they gathered he and all of his family that lived there, which was 3 generations of women & children (the men were off fighting in the Red Army) and brought them to the town square. The rest of the town was ordered to attend as well.
They lined up all 20 or so family members and machine-gunned them in front of the townsfolk.
- As the elderly gentleman explained this, the next part still brought a tear to his tired eyes...
After the family was mowed down, a Stormtooper went over to the corpse of a small boy, grabbed a leg, stepped on the other and ripped the tiny body in half. - It was his cousin and playmate...3 years old...

Shortly thereafter, his family managed to immigrate to Canada. He refuses to register his guns and says that he will never give them up.
I deeply respect his sentiments and his reasons for feeling this strongly...

Joe America
January 24, 2003, 01:05 AM
How about ... just dropping the Stay armed part and leave the -----
"Teach your children" part.

Marshall
January 24, 2003, 01:44 AM
That image turns me off and I am pro gun! :scrutiny:

Guyon
January 24, 2003, 02:42 AM
How about "Proud Parent of an Honors Sniper at Glenwood Elementary." :D

Honestly, I like the second one better. Adds some historical perspective while not as inflammatory as the girl with the Evil Black Rifle.

Travis McGee
January 24, 2003, 03:11 AM
Hi Oleg,

IMHO the double image and captions at the top are best. I only question the choice of the suppressed MP-5 for the contemporary girl; what is she, the daughter of a jack booted BATF thug today?? Taking daddy's suppressed MP-5 to school because the other kids are calling her names? That weapon just says "FED".

The weapon of choice for the rifle armed civilian of today, to draw the comparison to the WW2 image, would have to be a shorty AR-15, or perhaps a Mini-14. It needs to be a non commie bloc (no AKs, that confuses the issues) rifle made in the Land of the Free.

Just my $0.02.

Matt Bracken

Greg L
January 24, 2003, 09:12 AM
:(

Here I was, coming late to the conversation and getting all excited because nobody had pointed out one major flaw that I noticed. Then I turn to page 2 and find that Travis had explained my misgivings perfectly. :D

If you do go with the two image poster then give the modern girl a weapon that would be readily available to most everyone out there. I agree with the American made vs the Com Block also. If you give her an AK people might think Balkans. If you give her an AR people might think US.

Greg

geekWithA.45
January 24, 2003, 09:55 AM
Poster 1:

I agree, give the modern girl an AR.

Captions:

-In 1938, Hitler's civilian disarmament killed her dad. What about 2038?

-It was true in 1938, and it's still true now. Gun Control Kills.

-Grandma learned how to shoot the hard way.

-1938: From grandpa's cold dead hands, to moms.

-In 1938, Grandma learned how to shoot the hard way. In 1998, she taught me.

-Monster Repellant. Then, Now, and Forever.

Poster 2:

-Her dad didn't register this rifle in 1938. She lived to tell about him.

-In 1938, her dad refused to register his rifle. It saved her in 1940.

seeker_two
January 24, 2003, 10:21 AM
Our guns----their freedom...

Oleg Volk
January 24, 2003, 10:55 AM
Grandma learned how to shoot the hard way.

Something catchy about teaching lifesaving skills before they are urgently needed.

I'll see what I can do. I have several images of the same 9y.o. kid with a 20" HBAR and 16" HBAR but she had a hard time holding them in any kind of ready position and even the A1 stock was too long. An MP5 with a half-collapsed stock or a P90 would be perfect for her...and I am torn between using a readily available weapon and a gov-only gun to make it a little more commonly see in civilian hands (even as an Airsoft prop). Probably go with realism.

KMKeller
January 24, 2003, 11:16 AM
IN 1938, GERMAN CITIZENS
OVERWHELMINGLY SUPPORTED
COMPREHENSIVE GUN CONTROL

(background of your poster)

AND FROM 1938 TO
1945, OVER 6 MILLION
SUBJECTS PAID THE PRICE FOR IT...
THEIR LIVES.

Boats
January 24, 2003, 11:34 AM
Sometimes the absence of a weapon would be a more powerful image.

If I had the talent for this sort of thing perhaps I would "arm" your yesteryear model with the Nazi star of David and no weapon at all.

"In 1938 this girl's father dutifully turned in the family rifle after the Nazis passed a new gun control law. She was murdered at Treblinka six years later."

"Gun control kills now as surely as it did then. Refuse to be a victim."

spacemanspiff
January 24, 2003, 12:27 PM
is there any way to adjust the figure of 6 million killed so that the number of those killed in concentration camps is shown versus those who died while resisting being sent to them, or those who were executed in the streets as an intimidation factor so others wouldnt try to resist?

for example, if it was say, 300,000 who died while resisting that number could be contrasted against those who didnt resist.

Bostonterrier97
January 24, 2003, 01:27 PM
Would Columbine have happened if all the children were armed?

Travis McGee
January 24, 2003, 02:09 PM
Greg L

Good point, an AK would imply she was in the Balkans today, and to extend that, an UZI would make her a contemporary Israeli.

The poster could be altered to an Israeli one by giving the 1938 girl no weapon, and the 2003 girl an UZI, and saying simply:

"HER GRANDMOTHER'S FAMILY WAS DISARMED BY THE NAZIS IN 1938. NEVER AGAIN!"

wingnutx
January 24, 2003, 06:43 PM
Travis McGee-

Welcome aboard, freeper :)

Jeeper
January 24, 2003, 07:02 PM
I really like the idea of the pictures. How about using a then and now approach with a picture of someone who would be that kid if they were alive now(ie girl 12 then and 74 year old woman now) Captions that are something to the effect. Hitler tried to disarm her then. Daschle tries to now. You get the idea.

Owen
January 24, 2003, 08:05 PM
The problem with the whole pic, is that people tend to shoot the messenger that brings up the Holocaust.

However, a star of David armband would definately clarify the image.

Safety First
January 24, 2003, 09:04 PM
Oleg, I have to agree with Marshall, there is just something unsettling about the image. For me it seems for lack of a better term Depressing...I dont mean any criticism at all about what you are doing,but the image of the two very young girls who appear very sad and carrying rifles is a bit,well...unsettling...just my opinion and as Marshall said..I'm very pro gun as well..Hope you and the other members do not take it personal..It's just that when I read Marshalls post, I realized when I saw it for the first time it gave a negative impression to the point that I could almost envision the anti-gun crowd using it in some way...So anyway that's my .02 worth

Kobun
January 24, 2003, 09:23 PM
Oleg,
Is the selector/safety missing from the MP-5SD?
Look here. (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/then-now.jpg)
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

Waitone
January 24, 2003, 09:59 PM
Regarding the second image:

>>>Gun Control--Don't do it for the children

>>>Gun Control--Your grandchildren beg you not to do it.

>>>Gun control: brought to you by totalitarian governments

>>>Gun control: some things never change

>>>When governments control guns, who controls governments.

labgrade
January 25, 2003, 01:28 AM
Might need something a bit more (mumble) explanatory, but a simple:

"Do, or die" seems to tickle my fancy 'bout now. Maybe stuff a bit of meat in it ....

Kobun
January 25, 2003, 09:10 AM
1938 - Present

Who knows what tomorrow brings

I like the first photo best. Make people think about today.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

Sheslinger
January 25, 2003, 09:37 AM
Gun Control=Control of your Children's Freedom=Control of your Children's Lives

If you enjoyed reading about "Poster caption needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!