My opening day

PDA

chains1240
November 18, 2010, 08:32 AM
Was a heart pounder for sure. On my walk to my spot I almost got trampled by a stampede of about 8 deer. They got spooked by me walking down the road and ran at me instead of away from me. When they got to the other field one made a 180 turn and came back at me. They were about six feet from me the whole time. Then 20 minutes before shooting hours I see the silhouette of a huge buck about 25 feet from me. Darn thing snuck up on me in the dark. Away he goes. Thought my heart was gonna explode. I was able to harvest a doe at about 75 yards away on a dead run later that day. I tell ya' those Nosler Ballistic Tips are dynamite out of my .308. Another friend on my buddy's land harvested a big 10 point the next day. Hope everyone is safe and successful by whatever measure you use.

If you enjoyed reading about "My opening day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ultradoc
November 18, 2010, 09:01 AM
congrats on your kill!

Alex23
November 18, 2010, 08:45 PM
What's with all the shooting of does?

snakeman
November 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
There is a surplus of does this year as has been the case for the past few years. People just want to shoot bucks and pass on does but that doesn't help keep the balance.

kyle1974
November 18, 2010, 09:18 PM
what's wrong with shooting does?

countertop
November 18, 2010, 09:45 PM
Does taste better. And need to be killed. Deer are like rats around here.

I, of course, missed a shot on a 10 pointer this morning. Kicking myself - didn't see a branch and when the smoke cleared the deer was high tailing it out and a branch I hadnt' seen was swaying - with a nice bullet hole in it. I was even able to find where it had deflected my bullet to.

chains1240
November 19, 2010, 03:22 PM
I shoot does because of a few things. I have only "seen" the big buck on my friends property when I couldn't shoot it. Other than that I have never seen a buck out on his property. But I see at least a dozen does every day. I would like to get a buck, but there are so many does out here the farmers and the DNR want the herd thinned. If it is old enough, I shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "My opening day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!