When to introduce firearm discretion to children

PDA

Wedge
November 18, 2010, 08:43 AM
The thought crossed my mind as I was changing my infant son and wearing my carry piece. When is a good time to introduce the concept of firearms specifically not talking about family business to everyone who will listen.

If you enjoyed reading about "When to introduce firearm discretion to children" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mikecu
November 18, 2010, 08:48 AM
I took my son to the range at 9 years old. We went over the rules many times.

Sock Puppet
November 18, 2010, 09:28 AM
It really depends on your child. My 6 year old somewhat understands the concept, my 4 year old is too young.

devildave31
November 18, 2010, 10:09 AM
Started taking my boyys between 2-3 yrs old. Highly supervised, I hold the gun, they pull the trigger. Not old enough to start memorizing safety rules, but old enough to ge them interested and to remove the curiosity about guns. Without going into detail, I think it has already paid off with my oldest (4).

Wedge
November 18, 2010, 10:27 AM
Not exactly what I was asking. When do you introduce firearms AND how to do you stress/prevent them from talking about "daddy's carry piece" to everyone who will listen?

I would prefer to not have to CCW in my house to keep the kid from knowing, but at the same time I don't want to OC and have him blabbing to everyone who will listen either.

Sam1911
November 18, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hmmm... not sure how exactly to answer that.

My kids have all seen guns since birth and have probably seen them on my hip multiple times in any given week. I've never heard them discuss them as any kind of curiosity, even among themselves, though the middle boy did spend one year wearing a holster of his own everywhere he went. :)

I've not had a "don't tell" conversation with them because the've never made a bigger issue out of it than they do my car keys or cell phone.

I can see how a kid could easily say something at the wrong time or to the wrong person, but I decided way back when that I'd cross that bridge when I came to it ... and I've never come to it.

HOWARD J
November 18, 2010, 10:44 AM
I started my kids & grandkids at the rifle range when they were 7.
First time out the ranger did not like it--one day he needed help on a project & we were there----he never said another word after that////////////// :)

Wedge
November 18, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks Sam, I appreciate the feedback.

My current thought is that if my son sees it as something normal, he will assume it is normal and leave it at that. He's already getting a rifle for Christmas (though my wife thinks he'll have to wait until he can at least sit up before he can use it...) so it will be part of the normal for him. I guess that's something to cross when it happens and not really worry about it. All the extra concerns of a new parent...

docnyt
November 18, 2010, 02:24 PM
Kids will be kids. Practically speaking, it would be hard to admonish a child younger than 5 to not talk about Daddy carrying a gun. I have advised my older girls (then 9 and 11) to not discuss it among their friends and at school that I carry concealed.

I'm not sure if my 5 year old understands not to tell but I haven't heard from her preschool or other people that she's been talking about guns. She knows the basic gun safety rules and has actually tried shooting a Buckmark and my AR15.

My 3 year old boy can blabber all he wants about guns. I don't think anyone will take him seriously. ;)

Wedge
November 18, 2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Docnyt.

Corporal K
November 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
We've been discussing this with our kids, especially my son since they were about 3 (we have twins). We've told them that our guns are our family's business and that some people don't understand guns and can get scared of them. So if we're going to talk about guns, we do so in private. This approach has worked well especially as my wife and I are both concealed permit holders.

JoeMal
November 18, 2010, 03:19 PM
Lots of good advice here IMO

I was introduced at a young age with proper communication and knowledge of firearms. My father made me aware that our guns are for our family only, and that friends and school peers do not need to know about them. There was no point in me going around talking about what my dad had. It's like anything else...start it early and it will become 'normal' like everyone says and it takes the curiosity and 'coolness' out of it as a kid. I didn't need to go blabbing about my guns because it's none of their business

chupacabrah
November 19, 2010, 06:56 AM
my kids (3 and 2) have seen and been around guns their whole lives. When my daughter turned 2, I started telling her about how guns are dangerous, don't touch unless mommy and daddy say its ok, run and tell mommy or daddy (or adult) if you see one, etc etc.

Now she tells her little brother the whole spiel, and I just started working with him too.

I haven't let them shoot or anything, will probably wait a couple more years for that. But I may start with safety type stuff soon. I'd definitely rather them know than NOT know!

Gouranga
November 19, 2010, 09:54 AM
At my house

birth to 3 - Touch a gun and you will be in a lot of trouble
3-6 - teaching basics of guns, function, firearm safety rules etc depending on kid maybe a couple sessions with the pellet guns (under HEAVY supervision)

6-8 - depending on the maturity level in this range a extremely supervised trip with a 22lr.

The standing rule regarding CCW in my house, we do NOT talk about my carry weapon outside the home. Also, nobody goes near a firearm without Daddy. It is a delicate balance of teaching them the proper respect without building fear.

CoRoMo
November 19, 2010, 11:11 AM
I have to echo what devildave31 and Sam1911 have posted. My kids were never "formally introduced", but rather just grew up with a gun on Daddy's hip from their birth. My oldest used to come around and arbitrarily find the kydex hooks on my belt and say, "Daddy's gun", but I'm not in an environment that makes it an issue. He stopped doing that after a little while and it's all normal to him.

I definitely don't think I'm going to have to ever have the "don't discuss this" talk with him, and probably any of the other kids. He started going to the range with me when he was 2-years old, and he still loves to be right beside me when I swing open the door of my safe. He's a gunnie for sure.

788Ham
November 19, 2010, 11:25 AM
We were into'd about guns at an early age, probably 3 or 4 yrs old. Pop always had them around, never CCW tho, just rifles/shotguns. I'd suggest never telling them "not" to talk about them, just at home only, no one else's business. As they get older, more instruction, telling about safety every time questions arise. With my brothers and I, we told never to touch or look at them when not supervised, it took hold at that early age, good luck!

FlyboyJS
November 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm definitely learning some stuff here...I have a 3 year old and another child on the way. I'm in the process of getting my CCW as well, so this is all great information. Thanks for starting this thread Wedge

mcdonl
November 19, 2010, 12:08 PM
Does anyone remember the song "Kids say the darndest Things?" well it's true!

My youngest, 11 y/o female likes to reload. She actually will ask me to setup a job so she can reload. She talks about this at school.

Last week (As told to me by my kid....) the subject of Justin Beaver came up. He is coming to a nearby stadium. She said she would like front row tickets so she could shoot him.

Ok, innocent enough... BUT... I had to sit down and have a talk with her because her friends, and probably teachers knows she likes reloading and shooting. Therefor, she cannot say the same things that others can say. They carry more weight with her.

This darned parenting thing has more twists and turns...

If you enjoyed reading about "When to introduce firearm discretion to children" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!