Ruger Sense of Humor

PDA

svtruth
November 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
Just picked up my new (to me) Super Redhawk in .454 Casull at the LGS.
It came in the original box with Ruger's name on it, and even a nice little cable lock also labled Ruger. The case has a hole through which to thread the lock. Unfortunately the hole is 7/32nds of an inch and the terminal on teh lock cable is 11/32nds. It won't fit through the hole!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Sense of Humor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
November 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
I think, somewhere deep in the bowels of my basement, I have a box full of those things.

Unloved, neglected, and still in the wrapper.

Jamesk
November 19, 2010, 12:29 PM
I belive the cable lock is for the gun. You have to furnish your own for the box!

bigfatdave
November 19, 2010, 01:42 PM
The cable lock is for the gun.

Actually, gunlocks are for sitting in the box and gathering dust, more than anything. There isn't anything a gun lock does that taking important parts out of the gun won't do.

My Ruger mkIIIs and 10/22s came with nice padlocks, though ... I could use those locks to lock up a shed or locker, I suppose.

You should see the silly little lock that comes with NAA guns, or KelTec's idea of a "locking device", those are really funny.

WoofersInc
November 19, 2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah I've got a shelf full of these locks gathering dust in the garage. All still in the wrapper.

45Fan
November 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
And all this time I thought I was getting a free gun with the purchase of a new lock!

awgrizzly
November 19, 2010, 02:19 PM
I like how Ruger deals with this lock thing. Their revolvers have an internal lock inside the grip frame. But their grips don't have a hole to insert the key. They leave it up to the buyer to drill a hole in the grip if they have a need to lock it. That's very considerate of Ruger I think.

A friend collects those locks (our police department hands out free locks to people applying for a buyer permit). He puts them on his table at guns shows as a freebee.

CoRoMo
November 19, 2010, 02:27 PM
I keep cash, my gun money, in a plastic Ruger box. They are good for that.

The gun locks? They are good for nothing.

jimmyraythomason
November 19, 2010, 03:14 PM
The police department of a nearby city(Blountsville,Al.) gave away cable locks for guns as a "public service". The former police chief of said city told me that the only locks that were taken were by cattle farmers who used them on their gates.

SharpsDressedMan
November 19, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'm thinking of giving my unused gunlocks, various firearms brands, to all of my liberal, anti-gun relatives and friends for Christmas. Perhaps they can find some use for them. :evil:

John Wayne
November 19, 2010, 03:24 PM
I like how Ruger deals with this lock thing. Their revolvers have an internal lock inside the grip frame. But their grips don't have a hole to insert the key. They leave it up to the buyer to drill a hole in the grip if they have a need to lock it. That's very considerate of Ruger I think.

I think the idea is to make the gun look cleaner by not having a lock hole. Most people would probably remove the grip, rather than drill a hole through it.

Giving the gun clean lines is kind of a moot point with their trademark "billboard" warning along the barrel.

Russ Jackson
November 19, 2010, 03:26 PM
They make great toys for tots gifts....Russ

armoredman
November 19, 2010, 04:43 PM
I have a cable lock on my gate. The others I gave away.

Erik M
November 19, 2010, 05:10 PM
i don't think I ever removed the lock from the case that my GP100 came in. Lock stayed in the plastic case, revolver went into the gun safe.

FROGO207
November 20, 2010, 06:52 AM
As I said in a different post, the people that should be using these gunlocks (with children--no safe) are least likely to use them IMHO.

makorunner013
November 20, 2010, 08:38 AM
It's a gun lock not a box or case lock. Snake the lock through the barrel or through the cylinder. The box lock you have to get on your own.

Onmilo
November 20, 2010, 09:02 AM
SHHhhh!
OK, Listen. This is secret information I'm gonna give away here.
Free!
No charge!

Open the cylinder on the gun.
Run the cable lock through the trigger guard and then run it up through the cylinder wall of the frame.
Lock the cable lock.
Lose the key or forget the combination.
There!!,,,,
Now don't you feel safer and more enlightened!:D

burley
November 20, 2010, 09:36 AM
Easy! I think SV's messin' with us. That, or he didn't get the owner's manuel with his used gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Sense of Humor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!