"Should I Get A CCW" Advice

PDA

kmittleman
November 21, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hi All,

I wanted to see what you all thought about a CCW for my situation. I own a business where we're open until 9pm or so and we have cash on hand. Over the past several years, my car was broken into once, there was an attempted break in, and we recently have a situation where we are pressing charges on someone for passing bad checks. The latter has numerous warrants out for his arrest and when caught, I will be called into court to testify. The question is, safety. We're a music school and have lots of kids here in and out. I figured if I kept a small revolver on me, it could be ok but I don't know. Also, what's the safest carry option (ankle, pocket,etc).

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about ""Should I Get A CCW" Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Supertac45
November 21, 2010, 11:53 AM
Absolutely if it's possible in your state. I reccommend inside the waistband carry as the most secure .

glock36
November 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
+100 on what Supertac45 has said, with the economy in a spiroling downward direction it doesn't make sense not to carry. A in the waist band holster with a good belt is the ticket.
And don't forget practice, practice and practice some more. I hope things work out for you.
Good luck
God speed

Zundfolge
November 21, 2010, 12:01 PM
Like Supertac45 said, get your permit and carry IWB.

Where you at (so folk that live in the same state can post info on getting your permit)?

docnyt
November 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
No one here will dissuade you from getting a CCW. As mentioned, practice with what you've got. Attending a basic pistol course is useful as well. A good holster is essential and you may find that ankle carry is cumbersome in most circumstances.

JoelSteinbach
November 21, 2010, 12:13 PM
It is better to be alive than sorry, in todays unrest, you would be foolish not to carry, In your situation a j-frame in the pocket would be a handy, security blanket.

Frank Ettin
November 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
Getting a CCW is an excellent idea. Getting some additional training would make it an even better idea.

If an NRA certified instructor near you offers the Basic Handgun, Personal Protection in the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home classes, the three would provide a great foundation.

It's tricky and slow to draw a gun from an ankle holster. I don't think they're a good choice for a primary weapon. Many people like them for a backup gun, and that makes more sense.

Pocket carry can work well for small guns. But I think the best approach is strong side carry, on the hip using good belt and belt holster. A holster designed to be worn inside the waist band works best for concealment.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/fiddletown_2006/Arizona/IMG_0295a_2.jpg

TimM
November 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
YES

leadcounsel
November 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
I see zero drawbacks to getting the training and licensing, except being entered into yet another government database. I'm already in several so it doesn't much matter to me.

The training and continued training are important life skills.
The fees are negligible.

Take charge of your safety and security. Boggles my mind how people but the most important thing (safety of themselves and loved ones) in the hands of others (police, security, etc.) who have proven themselves unable to reliably be there or intervene.

DPris
November 21, 2010, 12:44 PM
Why are you asking strangers to make such a decision for you?
It's your situation, based on your perceived need & realistic evaluation of your own ability to use a gun in it.

Such a question on a pro-gun site will yield a not-very-surprising result, but you're the one who needs to answer it. :)
Denis

Sky
November 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
If something goes down in your situation it will likely happen in the blink of an eye. Speed of fire arm retrieval might/should be a consideration; my opinion.

CCW even if you do not carry is money well spent even if it is for educational purposes.

If you decide not to carry (even though you will probably never need a gun) it will be a sad day if by chance you needed to defend your business or loved ones. CCW gives so many options.

JoeSlomo
November 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
IMO, every law abiding citizen should carry a firearm.

Black Knight
November 21, 2010, 01:48 PM
Personally I think if you have ask the question you already know the answer. All you are doing is confirming your answer. I agree with the others, you should get the permit and the pistol of your choice. It is better to have it and never need to use it than to need it and not have it. Check to see what your state requires and try to find the highest quality training you can get. Sometimes you can find top notch instructors for decent costs. Be careful of the low cost courses as they may not be as high quality as others.

kmittleman
November 21, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'm In Maryland. I believe there are only a few instances where a CCW is legal and this is one of them.

Like Supertac45 said, get your permit and carry IWB.

Where you at (so folk that live in the same state can post info on getting your permit)?

kmittleman
November 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
Very true. However, I figured others out there might have experience with this while I do not. Also, it's very helpful to hear multiple opinions even though we're all a bit biased here.
Why are you asking strangers to make such a decision for you?
It's your situation, based on your perceived need & realistic evaluation of your own ability to use a gun in it.

Such a question on a pro-gun site will yield a not-very-surprising result, but you're the one who needs to answer it.
Denis

Frank Ettin
November 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'm In Maryland. I believe there are only a few instances where a CCW is legal and this is one of them.It's my understanding that in Maryland CCW isn't just legal under any circumstances. One must get a permit to carry a concealed weapon, at least outside his home or place of business.

And in Maryland, as far as I know, the issuance of a permit is entirely within the discretion of the issuing authority (I'm not sure what it is in Maryland, but I think it's the State Police).

If you go to this site, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ , and click on Maryland on the map on the home page, you'll get a pdf file with more detailed information.

mgkdrgn
November 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, in -theory- you can get a CCW in Maryland.

Reality is a whole nuther kettle of crab soup however ... But it can't hurt to try.

THe Dove
November 21, 2010, 04:05 PM
YES. AND EVERY OTHER LEGAL RESIDENT IN YOUR STATE!!!!

The Dove

goon
November 21, 2010, 04:12 PM
If you have a gun you can decide whether or not it's necessary to use it to defend yourself.
If you don't have a gun, your only choice is to hope it's not necessary.
So of course I think you should get a CCW if at all possible.

TNboy
November 21, 2010, 04:16 PM
Yes! But if you only desire to carry in your place of business you wi ikey not need a ccw permit. Keep it concealed and tell no one. No need in ruffling the feathers of any anti gun parents of you students.

esquare
November 21, 2010, 04:20 PM
Visit http://www.corneredcat.com/

I know it's a site primarily for women, but it has a lot of very valuable information about why you carry a gun, how to carry a gun, carrying around children, safety, if you should carry etc. Kathy Jackson has a new book out as well based on the website.

I got my CCW because I'm going to be a father soon. I realized that when I was single, I would have a decent chance of running away and I tried to be careful (I have enough experiences to know what to avoid). When I got married, I 'knew' that my wife could take care of herself. When I really thought about what life is going to be like with a child, I realized that there are just way too many situations that I'm going to be in that are defenseless without a weapon. Before my wife was pregnant, I think she really could have defended herself or run from something. Now, she can barely bend over, she can't keep a fast pace on a walk, and she's off balance quite often. When the child comes, having to put them into a car seat in a parking lot, having them in a stroller, etc, how do you defend that?

That's what pushed me over the edge - looking back on it now, I just have done this a long time ago.

Do your due diligence on what it would take to protect yourself EFFECTIVELY, and make a plan and follow through one step at a time. This isn't just about getting a CCW, it's about learning how to see and avoid confrontation, securing your home, car, business, etc - all the things prudent people should be doing.

sprice
November 21, 2010, 04:20 PM
I second supertacks 45 statement.

omegaflame
November 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
If you're going IWB, I might recommend a compact or subcompact 9mm or higher. .380 is borderline, and a small revolver only has 5-6 shots.

kayak-man
November 21, 2010, 04:43 PM
If you want to carry in waist band, I think an auto like a 9mm or a 380 might be more comfortable. If you go the revolver route, there is still absolutely nothing wrong with in the waistband, but I would recommend paying the extra cash if you can, (this goes for small autos too) and getting both an in-waist-band holster and a pocket holster. If for some reason you become unable to carry in-waist-band (Lets face it, this is real life, stuff happens: belt loops break, we get pretty fowl stuff on cover garments, the heating breaks and its 300 degrees inside...) you can transition to pocket carry.

Either way, carrying a reload might not be a bad idea. I'm not sure what is considered "normal" clothing in Marryland, but when I carry, I use an Eddie Bauer polar fleece vest as a cover garment (An actual vest, not a flyfishing or photographers vest.) It conceals my gun when I carry IWB, I can slip a small revolver in the pocket, and a speed loader is actually pretty inconspicuos in the zippered breast pocket.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope things work out for you!

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

Iam2taz
November 21, 2010, 04:45 PM
+1 Supertak45....
In the waistband - definitely. - You have asked the question; you know the answer...
Plan on practicing ALOT.
Get something that is comfortable to shoot and carry. I suggest you rent a few different types of handguns before you purchase one. Rent both semi-autos and revolvers of the size you think you want to purchase.
JMHO

Threeband
November 21, 2010, 05:35 PM
As a business owner, you can legally carry openly or concealed at your permanant place of business, without a permit. Your supervisory personnel can also, with your permission.

If you carry large sums of cash, or any other valuables (musical instruments, jewels, pharmacuticals), you'll probably be able to get a Maryland permit, but it might be "restricted" to times you're transporting the valuables. In Maryland, it is much easier to get a permit to defend your property than your life, although you may not use deadly force to defend your property.

To learn more about Maryland's , er..., unique gun laws ( e.g.,30 round magazines are perfectly legal, so long as you pay Pennsylvania or Virginia sales tax on them), come on over to MarylandShooters.com.

http://www.mdshooters.com

http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Very knowledgeable and friendly people there.

And please join Maryland Shall Issue! We are making progress here, on the front lines.

http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

-----------------

kragluver
November 21, 2010, 06:33 PM
Get your CCW - it is your right so exercise it. There need not be a question.

Gouranga
November 21, 2010, 07:39 PM
Wow. of course folks here are going to tell you go get one. LOL.

I of course am pro CCW but I will throw a couple additional thoughts your way. First and foremost, will you use it? A firearm is useless if you won't use it. Of course none of us KNOWS we will unless the day and time comes where we are forced into that situation. However, I had this discussion with a family member of mine who i advised probably does need to CCW. He is very much convinced he would not be able to shoot anyone, even if facing a lethal threat. In such a case, the gun is useless and really may be taken away and used against them.

So first, do you think you would be able to use it?

Second, will to commit to learning how to use it? Yeah legally you just need to get the permit (if required in your state). After that you need never fire another shot out of the gun. Considering the effect of stress in a lethal threat situation, being able to effectively use your weapon in such a situation at a minimum requires some range time. Ideally you would also grab some snap caps, practice your draw, maybe even get some more advanced training. Without it, yeah you still have protection, you are willing to use it and that beats throwing rocks and harsh language.

So just a couple things to consider along with your decision to CCW.

therewolf
November 22, 2010, 01:53 AM
Short answer: Y E S !

Long answer: Well, how do you want it laid out for you?

FBI statistics show that CCW and armed citizens are not only a deterrent to crime, but legal citizen gun carry laws and CCW substantially lower crime statistics in their area.

Facts: Criminals are more afraid of armed citizens than LEOs.
Armed Citizens are more accurate shots than LEOs.

The principle factor in picking a victim for predatory or theft crimes is finding as vulnerable and lucrative a victim as possible. Having a gun makes you much less tempting of a target.

I heartily recommend a CWP for all law-abiding citizens.

moonman16
November 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
If you carry, Get a firearm that fits your hand and feels well. Revolvers are better than semi-autos for a beginner as a semi-auto can jam or have failure to fire or feed takes time to learn and it takes a lot of practice in the clearing drills to make the clearing action an automatic response. Short barreled (Snubbie) revolvers are actually an experts gun. You must train and shoot alot with a snubby to shoot it well. Try to look at some 3-4 inch barreled revolvers in 38 Special caliber. Learn the law in your state. Make sure if you carry that you can handle the mental, religious, family, and civil lawsuits that you will encounter with a lethal force confrontation. This is in addition to any possible criminal charges that could be filed against you if you didn't follow the ccw rules and criminal code exactly. Private citizens are not Law Enforcement, or deputized with the CCW permit, and nor is Vigilantism allowed.

Dnaltrop
November 22, 2010, 01:23 PM
Absolutely, this isn't the country it was (insert the # of decades that make you feel wistful) ago.

IWB of a caliber that you're comfortable with, either hit a rental range or just "Trust Us" and Poll the board here with your physical dimensions and experience, and SOMEONE will suggest the "perfect" rig for you (or 100 variations thereof)

Deanimator
November 22, 2010, 01:35 PM
You could need to defend yourself with a firearm for reasons utterly unrelated to the factors you cited. Some guy you've never met could try to follow you into your house tonight. Somebody could try to carjack you at a stoplight. Somebody could accost you in a mall parking lot.

Unless there's something wrong with YOU such that you shouldn't be ALLOWED to carry, there's no good reason NOT to get the appropriate carry credential. Carrying and never needing to use your firearm harms no one. Needing a firearm and not having one when you need it could be and has been fatal.

As far as methods of carry go, that's entirely dependent upon your particular circumstances. A full sized M1911 is NOT a good pocket or ankle carry gun. On the other hand, a 2" J-Frame S&W could be carried in your pockets for twenty years, always available but never noticed. When I know I'm going to need to disarm frequently, I carry a 2" S&W Model 36 in one of my handmade leather pocket holsters. Otherwise, I carry a full sized semi-auto or K-Frame S&W in an IWB holster, either a Don Hume 715M or one of my handmade tuckable IWBs.

hso
November 22, 2010, 02:06 PM
A firearm securely carried on your person won't be subject to the kids' curiosity.

You may want to think about preventing BGs from getting into the school while anyone is there as your first course of action instead of waiting until the threat is in your face. It won't stop them from waiting outside for you, but physically keeping them out of the school will at least help keep them away from your students.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Should I Get A CCW" Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!