Magtech Ammo

PDA

Tony50ae
November 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
I went to the gun store yesterday to kill some time, and browse at all my future guns I will own one day:D Anyways since I was there I figured I should buy some new 38 special ammo for my home defense revolver. Since I have a short barrel m66 S&W, I wanted ammo designed for it. I ended up with Speers Gold Dot 38spl+p 135 GDHP. The owner also showed me some Magtech First Defense all copper hollow points. Hmmm seemed cool. But the weight seemed a little light to me. 90 grains. Velocity was high. But it wasn't designed for a short barrel so I doubted the usefullness of this product for my use.

Even in a longer barrel though, 90 grains seems a bit light for the caliber. Anybody have any thoughts? I liked the all copper design.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magtech Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
November 21, 2010, 02:58 PM
I hand load an obsolete and long discontinued light for caliber bullet made by Remington. I load for 2" barreled Colt Detective Special, S&W M10-5, S&W M37, Taurus M85, Rossi M68. All are 2" barrels. The bullet is the old 95 grain SJHP/concave base specially designed for 38 Special. I purchased a lifetime supply of them back in 1990. The light bullet is a superb performer in 2" barrel 38 Specials. I do not load +P for the little guns, its not needed. I think the Magtech First Defense would be good if you don't hand load.

smallbore
November 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
My experience with using Magtech ammo is limited to practice w/my 9mm using their fmj load. Inexpensive at the time and served it's purpose.

brandon_mcg
November 21, 2010, 11:54 PM
have fired 200 plus 9mm rounds of fmj with no problems. 100 rounds of 45 fmj also with no complaints.

MICHAEL T
November 22, 2010, 12:52 AM
Their ball is fine. I have not saw a positive test of their copper DPX copy . All I have read is fail to expand , when shot thru denim . You Speers Gold Dot 38spl+p 135 GDHP. are a good round I still carry the old 158grSWCHP +P in my model 49 .

Tony50ae
November 22, 2010, 01:56 AM
I am glad I bought the Speer ammo then. It cost more but if I ever need it, cost would be the last thing on my mind.

Deus Machina
November 22, 2010, 02:13 AM
Gold Dots are the best thing in .38, IMO. If you can get a steady supply, no need to even look at anything else.

Magtech has always functioned well in everything I have, but their hollowpoint designs never seemed impressive at all.

Tony50ae
November 22, 2010, 10:59 PM
Yep decent supply of gold dots, but at 38 bucks for a box of 20, not cheap! Still not going to complain about it too much.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magtech Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!