A pellet pistol for practice inside during winter.

PDA

clutch
November 21, 2010, 07:21 PM
Winter is coming, I need to work on my pistol shooting to become a better off hand shooter.

I want an air pistol that shoots pellets that is under say 500 bucks that has good sights, accuracy, trigger, ect.

I need recommendations. I haven't kept up on this are their spring guns, co2 guns and charged air models out there?

What should I look at? I used 500 as my upper limit but a decent pellet pistol that cost less would not upset me a bit.

I'm never going to be an Olympic shooter or competitive due to age and eyesight, I just want to get better by practice.

Thanks,

Clutch

If you enjoyed reading about "A pellet pistol for practice inside during winter." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrWesson
November 21, 2010, 07:50 PM
If you want to shoot your .22 rifle then aguila super colibri is your answer

If you want to shoot a .22 pistol then aguila colibri

I think the airgun is a good idea too.

gofastman
November 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
delete

gofastman
November 21, 2010, 08:39 PM

I think the airgun is a good idea too.
REGULAR colibris are so much fun out of a pistol! very quiet, i shoot them in my garage

btw, CCI CB Longs are almost identical in noise level to super colibris out of a rifle, but pack significantly more power.

skip the Remington CBees, too loud.

MrBorland
November 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
I can't recommend shooting either of the Colibris indoors because of the lead compounds in the primer.

As far as air pistol recommendations, you have a ton of options, and which is best for you depends on what exactly it is you're trying to work on: You might want "an air pistol that shoots pellets that is under say 500 bucks that has good sights, accuracy, trigger, ect.", but for what? USPSA practice? An airsoft clone might be the way to go. Pure target practice to work on your fundamentals? If so, single shot? Repeater?

FWIW, I have an IZH-46M - an excellent 10m air pistol for the money. I can recommend it if marksmanship fundamentals is what you're interested in.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/MiscellaneousPicsfrom08198.jpg

9mmepiphany
November 21, 2010, 09:10 PM
FWIW, I have an IZH-46M - an excellent 10m air pistol for the money. I can recommend it if marksmanship fundamentals is what you're interested in

I think this is also an excellent recommendation. Learning to shoot an air pistol well will make you a superior pistol shooter. Due to it's low muzzle velocity, nothing teaches follow through better than an air pistol

bhk
November 21, 2010, 10:44 PM
I also have a IZH-46M. It will probably group smaller at 10 meters than any cartridge firearm made. The trigger is superb and the gun is an absolute pleasure to shoot. This fine handgun costs around $375.

If you shoot revolvers, Umrex makes a CO2 copy of the 686/586 Smith and Wessons. It is licensed by Smith and Wesson and has all the Smith and Wesson markings on it. It is often considered the cadillac of CO2 sport pistols and is quite accurate. It feels like, loads, and operates just like the real thing. Price, I believe is a little less that $250.

Both are available from Pyramid Air.Com.

Pete D.
November 21, 2010, 11:04 PM
Another vote for the IZH-46M....I have one also. The best buy in quality air pistols.
Spend a winter shooting an air pistol at the standard 10m target and you will be a better pistol shot in the Spring.
My slow fire scores especially went up after a winter shooting air.
Pete

gofastman
November 21, 2010, 11:20 PM
I can't recommend shooting either of the Colibris indoors because of the lead compounds in the primer.
hmmm, didn't consider that :uhoh: , I guess i should start wearing a respirator.

Shadow 7D
November 22, 2010, 03:49 AM
A number of people have talked about making basement ranges, an idea is to drape the path with vapor barrier and just run a good exhaust fan to vent the lead.

clutch
November 22, 2010, 06:57 PM
It looks like I may want two air guns. One to practice rapid fire and another to work on basic accuracy as in deliberate fire.

I don't plan to shoot classic one hand bullseye, I'd rather shoot two handed, since that is how I normally shoot.

The spring pistol many endorsed looks like it is normally shot one handed but a bit of grip work could change that.

Is there a place for one hand shooting in a training regimen if you are a two hand shooter? If I get good with one hand will my two handed shooting be better?

Thanks,

Clutch

9mmepiphany
November 22, 2010, 07:16 PM
Is there a place for one hand shooting in a training regimen if you are a two hand shooter? If I get good with one hand will my two handed shooting be better?

Any practice that will improve your trigger control/management will make your shooting better. Trigger control is more important to accurate shooting than sight alignment, grip or stance. If the other 3 are perfect and you lack trigger control, you still won't hit your target...that's why lasers aren't a replacement as sighting devices

Clark
November 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
Wear eye protection

zoom6zoom
November 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
Heck, the one I use cost a tenth of that, under fifty bucks. Haven't seen them around lately. It's a copy of the Walther LP-53 target pistol.
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews95885.html

dewalt-2
November 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
I would look into airsoft. I have two, a WE 1911 Caspian license, and a KWA M9 (Baretta) PTP (Professional Training Pistol). Both are full metal frames, very nice fit and finish, and astoundingly accurate and powerful at 10 yards. Weight and balance are very close to the real gun. They are both a blow back action design, which emulates the slide action of the real deal. The only accessories you need are an adapter to fill your mags with propane cylinders and some pure silicone oil you add on top of the fill port to lube the action.
The only fault I find with these guns is the trigger pull is very light, but has minimal pre travel and very crisp-a delight to shoot, but doesn't have the feel of the real thing.
These can be had for $150 or less- I love mine.

Wishoot
November 22, 2010, 09:08 PM
Wear eye protection

+1 Some of the worst ricochets happen when I shoot my airguns.

dewalt-2
November 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
I also have the Crosman American Classic pump pistol, 1" groups at 25 yards and enough power to kill a squirrel. I wish I could put a scope on it.

alfack
November 22, 2010, 09:19 PM
Beeman P1 or the Weihrauch equivalent.

Same grip as a 1911, powerful accurate etc..

ABTOMAT
November 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
Single-stroke pneumatics like the IZH-46 are excellent easy-shooting airguns. Excellent for target.

The Beeman P1/Weihrauch HW45 might be a better firearm trainer. It's heavy, kicks, and actually is quite a pain in the ass to shoot repetitively. If you can put a string of 10 shots close together with a P1 you can shoot anything. The gun itself is very accurate but _really_ powerful spring pistols are incredibly sensitive to your grip.

StrawHat
November 23, 2010, 07:41 AM
I have and use a Daisy 747 air pistol. Good sights, food trigger and good fit in my hand. I mostly use it to practice sight alignment. The fact it makes it easy to hit the target is nice also.

Daisy also offers (or offered) a couple variaitons of the same basic pistol.

JTQ
November 23, 2010, 07:57 AM
AirSoft sounds like a good recommendation.

This guy has a series of videos showing himself shooting in his garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa10XT6RKOU&feature=related

zoom6zoom
November 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
The Drozd is fun (have one) but it won't do much for the OP's stated goal of improving his offhand shooting.

Justin
November 23, 2010, 04:08 PM
Airsoft guns can be useful for some force on force training, but not so useful for practicing marksmanship skills.

The Drozd is a neat toy, but still a toy.

If you're interested in refining your shooting abilities, get an IZH46M target pistol. They're the most accurate air gun short of making the leap to $1K+ Olympic-grade match guns.

The grips are kind of funky, though, so you may want to break out the Dremel to do a bit of polishing here and there.

BCRider
November 23, 2010, 05:09 PM
The accuracy is the whole thing, isn't it? Other options would be good for other modes of practice but to practice for trigger consistency and accuracy you need an accurate pellet gun. Those other things are basically just toys. The Walther PPK BB gun that I bought in a moment of idiocy is pretty much a toy since it groups like a shotgun at more than 5 feet.

Even if you're working on your IPSC or IDPA draw and first shot time you need a gun that is going to be decently accurate or you won't know if your sight picture was OK or not.

Oh, and the Walter BB gun is still with me because up here I'm not allowed to own the real thing due to restrictions. So the BB gun is the closest I'll get to having a PROPER James Bond gun... :D

Dudemeister
November 24, 2010, 01:52 AM
The idea was to shoot indoors wasn't it? Unless you live in a large barn, I would suggest that the targets would be within 25-30 feet or less.

At that distance there are plenty of airsoft guns that will cut the black out of the target. There are many gas powered pistols that are fantastic replicas of the real thing, look like, and feel like the real thing. About the only thing you don't get is the loud bang and the recoil.

For those that like semi-autos, I can recommend the Umarex Walther P99 and P99C, the KSC Glocks 23F or 18C, and any number of 1911 and Berettas from companies like Marushin, Maruzen, Tokyo Marui, Tanaka, KSC, Western Arms and others. Companies like Tanaka and Marushin license a variety of guns from the likes of Colt, S&W & Ruger and make flawless copies of famous revolvers.

A good quality Airsoft pistol can set you back a couple hundred dollars or more, but I think they're super fun and worth every penny.

Here are some of my airsoft handguns

http://digistealth.com/Public/Airsoft/Airsoft%20Sampling.jpg

cougar1717
November 24, 2010, 05:22 PM
I have a few friends that shoot ISPC who use the high quality airsoft guns to keep their skills up. They say it works.

CTPhil
November 24, 2010, 05:30 PM

Just curious, why not super colibris out of a pistol?

clutch
November 24, 2010, 06:55 PM
I would look into airsoft. I have two, a WE 1911 Caspian license, and a KWA M9 (Baretta) PTP (Professional Training Pistol). Both are full metal frames, very nice fit and finish, and astoundingly accurate and powerful at 10 yards. Weight and balance are very close to the real gun. They are both a blow back action design, which emulates the slide action of the real deal. The only accessories you need are an adapter to fill your mags with propane cylinders and some pure silicone oil you add on top of the fill port to lube the action.
The only fault I find with these guns is the trigger pull is very light, but has minimal pre travel and very crisp-a delight to shoot, but doesn't have the feel of the real thing.

Are these what is known as paint ball guns?

Thanks,

Clutch

Dudemeister
November 24, 2010, 07:18 PM
Are these what is known as paint ball guns?

Thanks,

Clutch
No they are not.

Airsoft guns shoot either a 6mm or an 8mm plastic ball propelled by either a compressed gas charge or by means of a piston driven by an electric motor. Although there exists 6mm paint ball ammo, most airsofters use them with the normal plastic "BB's", as the small paint filled balls tend to break in the gun during rapid fire and make a mess.

Airsoft as a game is very similar to the paintball, except it's played with much more realistic weapons and more real life strategies. There's even bio-degradable ammo available to make sure all this plastic doesn't end up in a landfill.

Others still use them as training devices as they more often than not resemble real steel in every respect, some can be disassembled and re-assembled like the real steel counterparts.

And some, like me, collect them and use them for indoor fun when not participating in airsoft skirmishes.

Dudemeister
November 24, 2010, 07:31 PM
Here are a couple of images of what the average paintball skirmish and airsoft teams look like.

http://www.gracesecondaryschool.com/images/photo-paintball-pop.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/3360864267_c5d580a14f.jpg?v=0

Last Knight
November 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
^+1 on this.

chicharrones
November 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
It looks like I may want two air guns. One to practice rapid fire ...
Thanks,

Clutch

A cheap way to start is with a CO2 BB gun. I find the inexpensive sub $80 airsoft guns lacking in accuracy for my usual 10 to 20 yard shooting.

I have a few CO2 pistols at the $60 to $80 dollar mark and are good rapid fire practice tools for indoors, but the best for the money (IMO) is a Umarex copy of a Makarov. It doesn't have blowback, but it is the most accurate CO2 BB repeater I've experienced. It has a typical double action trigger and the hammer can be cocked separately if you wish. It's "metal" for realistic weight and is still only $60.00.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/makarov-co2-air-pistol.shtml

My only "target" shooting air pistol is an old surplus Predom Lucznik springer, but it is only good for 7 to 10 yards since the pellet velocity is so slow.
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/05/predom-target-pistol-by-lucznik.html

chicharrones
November 25, 2010, 01:43 PM
The Walther PPK BB gun that I bought in a moment of idiocy is pretty much a toy since it groups like a shotgun at more than 5 feet.

+1 on that. I have one and the only good thing on it is the light trigger and the fact the blowback cocks the hammer each shot. It's fun, but not what I call a "shooter".

oldbanjo
November 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
I shoot a pellet Rifle three or four day a week all summer long, shooting Turtles and Snakes in the pond. A pellet pistol will help your shooting but I'd look for something that feels like the Gun that I carry and has a similar trigger pull. Why practice with a Gun with an entirely different grip and a soft trigger pull.

doc540
November 25, 2010, 04:14 PM
I use an Airsoft of the same size as my IDPA Commander.

It's effective at killing paper and provides good indoor practice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Airsoft/WE%201911%20Commander/DSCN1153-1.jpg

gofastman
November 25, 2010, 09:51 PM

MUCH louder, not too much faster.

clutch
November 25, 2010, 11:54 PM

As far as air pistol recommendations, you have a ton of options, and which is best for you depends on what exactly it is you're trying to work on: You might want "an air pistol that shoots pellets that is under say 500 bucks that has good sights, accuracy, trigger, ect.", but for what? USPSA practice? An airsoft clone might be the way to go. Pure target practice to work on your fundamentals? If so, single shot? Repeater?

FWIW, I have an IZH-46M - an excellent 10m air pistol for the money. I can recommend it if marksmanship fundamentals is what you're interested in.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/MiscellaneousPicsfrom08198.jpg

I'm leaning towards buying one of those at the moment. If I master shooting with one hand which is what that pistol is geared towards, having support in other modes of shooting should improve.

I want to shoot idpa again after a 5 year hiatus. Quite often you have to shoot one handed so this can't hurt. Looks like the grip is set up for RH so LH (weak) shooting might require different grips.

I still haven't nailed down what to use for rapid fire. Are these air soft things with the 6mm plastic pellets accurate at 10M?

Thanks,

Clutch

9mmepiphany
November 26, 2010, 01:16 AM
Are these air soft things with the 6mm plastic pellets accurate at 10M?

My airsoft Sig 226 has a muzzle velocity of 300-340fps pushing a .15g-.20g 6mm pellet with Green Gas. I've used in for building clearing exercises and it has been accurate across a regular sized lobby...20+ feet. I would think a pistol with a hop up kit (adds backspin, reduces velocity, but increases range) should be accurate to 33 ft

CTPhil
November 26, 2010, 08:55 AM
MUCH louder, not too much faster.
Thanks!

Jerry68
November 26, 2010, 12:24 PM
With gas airsoft guns, if you don't mind policing up all the little plastic BB's, you can run realistic training scenarios in your own home. My finished basement basically looks like an IPSC/IDPA range in the Winter months.

9mmepiphany
November 26, 2010, 02:35 PM
With gas airsoft guns, if you don't mind policing up all the little plastic BB's, you can run realistic training scenarios in your own home. My finished basement basically looks like an IPSC/IDPA range in the Winter months.

Just be careful of breakables and wear eye protection. The 6mm pellets will shatter glass and some plastic. Also be aware of ventilation, the propane builds up in the room

Harley Quinn
November 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
I believe the pellet pistols would be the way to go...The shooting of actual powder 22's gained over the topic, which is to bad...

Making up a good target to collect the pellets and safe being the answer always...

Sounds like fun:)

Regards

dewalt-2
November 26, 2010, 05:28 PM
My airsofts ... dug them out for pics. Both have adjustable hop up, and are great shooters.
WE 1911...
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/001-13.jpg
M9 PTP...
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/002-10.jpg
And a couple of antiques that still hold their own
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/004-7.jpg

Pete D.
November 26, 2010, 05:59 PM
Rapid fire?

Go to PyramydAir.com.
There are any number of .177 caliber CO2 semi-auto pistols available.
Sig Sauer makes one. Crosman, Beeman, etc. etc.
Here's a link to another by Beretta:
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/beretta-fs92-co2-pellet-gun.shtml

Pete

MartinS
November 27, 2010, 05:03 PM
Pumpmaster Classic at Wallyworld. 177 pneumatic, less than 100 bucks, proven design, easily accurate enough for indoor practice, we shoot our out back at 40 yards.

rodinal220
November 27, 2010, 05:15 PM
Another vote of support for the IZH-46M :)

clutch
December 2, 2010, 07:06 PM
Pumpmaster Classic at Wallyworld. 177 pneumatic, less than 100 bucks, proven design, easily accurate enough for indoor practice, we shoot our out back at 40 yards.

I didn't know how hard this would be :cuss:. In Michigan, a rifled barreled pellet pistol is classified as a firearm. This seems to eliminate them from most mass retailers since the paperwork for a 'permit to purchase' is something they don't want to deal with on a 50-100 dollar air pistol.

The IZH-46M is on my buy list but that will have to wait until my April vacation that will put me in visiting distance of a down state air gun retailer.

I just tried an online order for a 1377 with a wallyworld in store pickup where they can see my CCW which pre-clears me for real firearms. I'll report how that works out.

Clutch

xr1200
December 2, 2010, 09:09 PM
umarex walther ppk with laser bb repeater, great for indoor and garage use, very well made and very real in appearance and firing mode and has a real blow back slide on it, also very cheap to shoot. Bought it for wife to simlulate firing SW 380 body guard.
Paid $69 online

MostlySurly
December 7, 2010, 04:23 PM
Clutch,
I go through thousands of pellets per winter in my garage, shooting the Crossman 357 CO2 revolver.
1.) It's a helluva lot of fun. SA/DA/rapid fire... all ok. Bullseye with good ammo, rapid fire with the Daisy bulk.
2.) It's cheap, warm practice.
3.) Other than heft, it is nearly identical to my Python.
-- Buying a Umarex Beretta CO2 PX4 in a couple days for the same #3 reason, to match up with my new edc.

You can do a lot of beneficial practice without spending a lot on the airgun. I'm under no illusion that my Crossman is a card-splitter, but with the right ammo, it's plenty accurate to refine some techniques. With a little 'smithing, you can smooth out the trigger pretty well, also. My trigger control and overall shooting has improved immeasurably since I set the pellet trap in the garage.
Just my $.02, put the gun savings into pellets and cartridges.:)

KosmicKrunch
December 8, 2010, 11:48 PM
I am not sure what guns you have but "Convert-a-Pell" at http://convert-a-pell.com/ makes conversion units for all types of pistols, semi auto, revolvers, singles etc. The company also sells a low powered primer that is about 1/3 the power of the recommended small pistol primer. Indoors, be mindful of primer residue/lead pellet in the air. A decent fan with a hose down into a can of water, sealed at the top of the can (large coffee can) will take care of that and rem eye protection. You can also use the plastic bodied pellets to reduce the lead.

I also have this vintage unit for my .38 spl. "Lachmiller Pip-Squeak Pellet Conversion." 5 steel cases with a pellet sized hole in the center and are shot with small pistol primers or even the convert a pell reduced load primers.

KosmicKrunch
December 8, 2010, 11:57 PM
Another nifty item for .22 are these rounds from South Africa, they are quieter than a standard Colibri but have the power due to design of a CCI Long CB. Armscore no longer carries them but gunbroker has a couple of dealers in them. They are called Diablos and are super accurate. I have like 20 packs and can sell a few I guess. They are 13 gr pellets and are also sub sonic for you suppressor users. They honestly sound like a zippo lighter opening out of a rifle or pistol. ZERO flash and just a wisp of smoke.

clutch
December 14, 2010, 07:40 PM
Well for now I have a Crosman PC77 aka 1377. I picked it up at my local walmart, they wanted to see my drivers license but didn't ask for a permit to purchase or to see my cpl. I *hate* to ask the cops for legal advice on this so I'll toss this out the leo's on the board, do I need to stop by the sheriffs office to let them put it in their database?

Of course as soon as I got it home, I wanted to upgrade it since the sights are cheesy. I have a steel breach and the williams rear sight on order.

I haven't tried it for accuracy yet. I was in a head on collision 10 days ago and I'm pretty sore though my chest. Seat belts and air bags are worth the money. I really don't want to pump this thing up too many times to shoot a group.

Trigger needs work but it good enough for now.

I'm going to explore some of the other suggestions also in the near future.

Clutch

Confederate
December 15, 2010, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't like a gun that has screws, levers and giant wood grips. I'd rather have something that looks like a combat gun, but without the orange, crappy barrel ends. I'd also want a rifled barrel that takes pellets and maybe a gas cartridge. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at this $200 Beretta pellet pistol (http://www.airgundepot.com/beretta-air-pistol-model-m92n.html) that seems to fit the bill. Anyone seen one, fired one?

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/airgundepot_2134_54780290

Geckgo
December 15, 2010, 12:52 AM
I have a couple of ideas that I didn't see on the posts.

The first costs a penny and it is how I practice with my XD. Put a penny on the front sight, barrel, or wherever and dry fire. Work your way up to quarters and if you want a real challenge try a beer bottle cap. Balance the object while you dry fire.

If you have a .45 acp, get a bunch of no.2 pencils with rubber erasers and sharpen them. Place a target on the wall an stick a small target on it (or put a dot with a marker). Stand so the barrel is a foot or two away from the target and cock the gun, then put the pencil in the barrel pointy side out. The hammer on a .45 is strong enough to "shoot" the pencil at the target and this is excellent for "target practice."

For tactical practice, the wife and I use nerf pistols. Also fun is trying to catch the nerf darts while being shot :D They are great stress relief when the spouse gets on your nerves as well, specially if she's carrying a beer and unsuspecting, hahahahaha.

I've also heard of using lasers for trigger control, either bore sight types that are designed for this kind of thing (they have a rubber stopper and light up for a moment when the firing pin strikes them) or regular laser attachments.

If you really want a pellet pistol, you should be able to get a decent CO2 pistol for under 100 bucks. Get some darts or bolts for it and a dartboard. Excellent target practice and fun too.

Hope this helps.

GCBurner
December 15, 2010, 01:21 AM
If you shoot a .357, .38, .44, or .45, then Speer Plastic Training Ammo is a nice alternative for cheap, (relatively) quiet indoor practice. They're powered by a standard Large Pistol primer, and the plastic cases and bullets can be used over and over again in your regular gun, as long as you use a soft backstop to catch them. I use a cardboard box stuffed with old foam pillows as a target backstop.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

Random Discharge
December 19, 2010, 12:01 PM
Check out the crosman custom shop on www.crosman.com. You can order a CO2 single shot target pistol configured to your specifications for about $150. Caliber choices are 177 or 22. Barrel lengths from 7.5" to 14". Good sight options, etc.

clutch
December 20, 2010, 08:01 PM
Well I made some progress with this. I bought the 1377 (pc77), ordered the steel breach which Crosman shipped adult sig required which caused the UPS guy to fail to deliver.

I left him a signed note this morning and he left it for me. Basically, I gave him a CYA chit.

Pyramid shipped the williams rear sight today so hopefully I'll be good to go soon.

I'm recovering from a head on collision on a bad winter road atm so I'm not quite up to practicing my pistol work yet but I'm getting better quickly.

I love this forum!

Clutch

clutch
December 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
If you shoot a .357, .38, .44, or .45, then Speer Plastic Training Ammo is a nice alternative for cheap, (relatively) quiet indoor practice. They're powered by a standard Large Pistol primer, and the plastic cases and bullets can be used over and over again in your regular gun, as long as you use a soft backstop to catch them. I use a cardboard box stuffed with old foam pillows as a target backstop.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

I've shot that back in the day out in the garage but with the current price of primers, well, I'm going to pass on it for now. I do have a lathe and some delrin stock, It is tempting to roll some .40 sw plastic bullets just to try out for fun, even though primers are pricey.

Clutch

BCRider
December 20, 2010, 11:22 PM
I'd be loathe to have the gases from those primers in the house as well. I'd say stick with air or CO2 since at least those are not harmful.

clutch
December 22, 2010, 06:43 PM
I mounted the steel breech that gives me a dovetail to mount a rear sight on yesterday and fedex dropped off a Williams sight from Pyramid Air.

I'm getting the pellet trap out tomorrow and setting up a range using the hallway. Not the best in air pistols but I got something workable for now so I can improve during snow time instead of lose skill.

I'd love one of those IZH-46M pistols and if my winter practice warrants moving up, I'll get one in the spring when I'm heading down state to a dealer that carries it. Michigan has weird air gun laws.

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread,

Clutch

chicharrones
December 23, 2010, 03:25 PM
The 1377 is a great inexpensive all around pellet pistol. It is plenty accurate and velocity adjustable. The only thing about the new ones is the trigger/sear spring is really heavy compared to old ones.

I happened to have a lighter spring from a tired 20 year old Crosman Backpacker that I put in my 1377. There are some trigger tuning tips on the net, but the easiest thing is just a lighter spring. Google 1377 trigger tuning (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=crosman+1377+trigger+tuning&btnG=Google+Search)

armed hiker
December 23, 2010, 04:33 PM
I am a little late on this but I would say to look at the umarex made co2 pellet pistols that are licenced copies of the real deal. I own a walther P88 copy that is metal and is plenty accurate for practice. It will easily put 8 rounds rapid fire into a 2 inch circle at 30 feet. shots can be made at 25 yards and still be kept in my small trap.
It is really a 8 shot revolver that looks like a semi.complete with double action ( no slide movement so no single action).

There is also very little recoil so this does not help, I also have the ppk/s BB pistol and I like the blowback action but it is much more of a toy. Umarex has 1911's, M92 berettas, S&W revolvers and walther P99 and P88's

My CP88 has been great for getting my grip and sight picture better. You will see differences in point of impact as you run out of CO2 but for the first 40or 50 shots if you missed ... it ain't the gun.

doc540
December 23, 2010, 04:46 PM
garage practice

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Airsoft/WE%201911%20Commander/DSCN1153-1.jpg

GCBurner
December 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
I've shot that back in the day out in the garage but with the current price of primers, well, I'm going to pass on it for now. I do have a lathe and some delrin stock, It is tempting to roll some .40 sw plastic bullets just to try out for fun, even though primers are pricey.

Clutch
At current prices, it's about 3 cents a shot. Pricier that BBs, but less than regular ammo. The main benefit of the plastic ammo is that you use it in your regular handgun, so the trigger and sights are what you are already familiar with.

HGM22
December 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but if someone has then I'm sorry for the repetition. Anyway, if anyone is hung up on the lead pellet indoors thing, then they might want to check out some of the lead-free pellets now being offered. I don't have any experience with them myself, but I think they might come in handy for short range indoor practice. You can find them at pyramidair (and probably other places). Pyramidair has reviews of them as well, and while it seems they aren't as good as lead, they might be an option.

dewalt-2
December 23, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hey Doc,
That looks just like my WE airsoft Caspian 1911...
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/001-13.jpg

doc540
December 24, 2010, 12:38 AM
Yep, it's the Commander version since I compete with a real Commander.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Airsoft/WE%201911%20Commander/DSCN1161-1.jpg

(I cheated by putting vintage Colt grips on it.)

clutch
February 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
My employer has a profit sharing scheme. Didn't pay off like the autoworkers but there was enough to pre-order a IZH-46M from Pyramyd. I suspect the American Rifleman magazine piece helped improve sales recently.

Thanks for the tip on the IZH-46M. I should get it sometime in March.

Clutch

BigN
February 19, 2011, 10:06 AM
I think it's a great idea. I have both a pellet gun and a bb pistol I use in the house all winter. I can sit (or stand) at my computer chair and shoot down the hallway, it's about 50' to my bedroom, where I have a homemade bb trap made out of very light tin set up. Not only is it fun but I think it's very practical.

clutch
February 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
BigN,

I envy your additional range inside your home. I'm going to have to do some remodeling to get the full 10M from my computer desk in the living room.

Shooting air pistols down the hall beats, dry firing at the TV or that reduced target hanging on the far wall near my desk.

Clutch

clutch
February 21, 2011, 07:24 PM
Well this is going great. Pyramydair didn't have electricity in Cleveland, OH today at the same time my FFL transfer guy was trying to fax over a copy of his FFL. :cuss: This is Michigan where buying a rifled air pistol is harder than buying a handgun.

By the time I get this thing, winter will be over and I'll be shooting centerfire outside again. :)

Clutch

chicharrones
February 21, 2011, 11:32 PM
You can always shoot on nasty rainy days indoors with the pellet gun. :cool:

Be sure to follow up when the IZH-46M arrives!

clutch
March 19, 2011, 06:13 PM
After a long wait, my IZH-46M showed up. Pyramyd Air called my to see if I'd be willing to accept it with walnut grips instead of beech. Hey no problem, send it out.

On the day it was supposed to be delivered to my FFL (this is Michigan), I left work w/o seeing a delivery at my dealer. I had the tracking number and he is out in the sticks.

Well, I head north of home to do some shopping and on the way back home I get a call that it was just delivered. My air pistol is 50 miles south of me now on a Friday night. What would you do? Heck yes, I asked him if I could come and get it right now. So I head right back south past where I work 30+ miles plus the extra miles to his place. Gas is cheap enough if you get 36 MPG ;)

Pistol was delivered undamaged, we did the paperwork. I have to register it in Michigan and it has to have a signed form indicating it was handed over to me with a locking device. Such insanity. He gave me one. After finishing the transaction I gifted him one.

Shooting it. Well, that trigger you just about breath on it and off it goes. You think, it goes bang. Learning to shoot one handed is going to be a struggle but I'm up for it.

Right off the bat, I lost one of the trapezoidal air seals which from checking the web seems to be a common issue for newbies like me. Lucky for me there was a spares kit included. I'm going to buy a few more just to be safe.

When it gets warm outside I'm going to bench rest it since at my current skill level I can't really give an accuracy report.

I am not disappointed by my purchase in any way.

Clutch

9mmepiphany
March 19, 2011, 07:42 PM
Remember that with an air pistol that follow-through is much more important and that it will be more sensitive to grip pressure

If you enjoyed reading about "A pellet pistol for practice inside during winter." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!