Dicks Store Policy Sucks

PDA

NY Marksman
November 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
A few weeks ago I got a $50.00 Coupon from Dicks Sporting goods towards any hunting related items. I decided that I wanted to get a new Henry Golden boy and so I stopped there and filled out the government paperwork. I was told that I was put on 3 day delay and so 4 days later I went there to ask if I could get my rifle. I was then told that they havenít gotten a call back that they wouldnít release the rifle. I reminded them that according to the federal government if no call is received within 3 days the rifle can be released. I was then told that Dicks had decided to change itís store policy and so until they receive a call from the feds approving the sale they will not honor the 3 day delay process. The store manager said it could take two weeks or more for the approval or denial to come through and that in several cases they never got a call back from the feds. When I told the manager that the policy was anti gun owner he told me that I might as well just wait it out and that it would be the same anywhere else I decided to buy a rifle. I told him that any reputable FFL dealer would honor the 3 day rule and that it was time for me to spend my money somewhere other then Dicks. I also reminded him that I had spent a lot of money at Dicks and they wonít be seeing any more of it from here on out. What I neglected to mention was that I intended to let everyone on every website I belong to about their anti gun owner policy. Whatís the sense of doing business with a company that circumvents federal rules at the expense of itís customers. No more of my business will be going to Dicks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dicks Store Policy Sucks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blackrussian
November 21, 2010, 08:59 PM
Way to be pro-gun by having stricter policies than the government.
Academy sporting goods has the same policy.

Old krow
November 21, 2010, 09:09 PM
Way to be pro-gun

I've only been to 2 Dick's, but, I have never been under the impression that they're "pro-gun" by any stretch of the imagination.

mcdonl
November 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
That happened to me once too... I left there and never went back.

magnumman44
November 21, 2010, 09:20 PM
I guess there is a reason that they have their name!!!!

smallbore
November 21, 2010, 09:49 PM
I don't buy anything firearm related from Dick's. . .I buy my guns from local gunshops.

rogertc1
November 21, 2010, 09:56 PM
Dicks hardly has any guns. No pistols and just a few long guns.

Tim the student
November 21, 2010, 10:23 PM
There is very seldom a reason for me to go to Dick's, and never a reason for me to go to buy anything gun related.

Centaur 1
November 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
They're nothing but a golf and tennis store that tries to make some extra money by selling a few guns that are tucked away in the back corner.

Old krow
November 21, 2010, 10:41 PM
They're nothing but a golf and tennis store that tries to make some extra money by selling a few guns that are tucked away in the back corner.

And they're in the corner of the store that they do not like to work in :rolleyes:

dp509
November 21, 2010, 11:02 PM
Plus, their prices are high.

they are only good for SHTF....everyone else will think they only carry golf clubs....:rolleyes:

texaz
November 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
How many forums have you posted this on? :what:

Lakeshore
November 21, 2010, 11:23 PM
OP thanks for posting this. It just confirms why I never shop @ Dicks. Just about everything they sell can be had elsewhere at better prices. As someone already said, Dicks is appropriately named.

Centaur 1
November 21, 2010, 11:49 PM
And they're in the corner of the store that they do not like to work in :rolleyes:
Exactly, a couple of times I tried to look at a gun and I just walked out because no one was there to help me. If the service is that bad before the sale, I wouldn't want to deal with them if something went wrong.

John Wayne
November 22, 2010, 12:10 AM
If there is an Academy Sports in your area, I'd suggest shopping there instead. Unfortunately they have just as much red tape, but are more gun friendly. They have a larger selection, carry handguns and blackpowder rifles (and DIY kits!), and have excellent prices.

Personally, I prefer to shop at local gun stores. If I lived in an area where all the gun shop owners were *******s and charged outrageous prices though, then I would shop at a big box store instead.

FROGO207
November 22, 2010, 12:20 AM
The way Dicks 'deals with you after the sale is to tell you it is a manufacturers warantee problem and that Dick's can no longer do anything to help you.:what:

hso
November 22, 2010, 12:25 AM
Why didn't you just ask them to run it again instead of continuing to wait?

Where I live the system is an instacheck and a delay of 30 minutes is odd. The firearms counter at the local Dick's is staffed by at least one clerk all the time. Usually they have 2 on duty, but this is TN and competition in firearms sales is pretty keen so they had better be prepared for business.

W.E.G.
November 22, 2010, 12:38 AM
Did you notice the sign over the door on the way in?

I mean, what did you expect?

Shopping A Round
November 22, 2010, 12:44 AM
They actually have the cheapest prices around here. $680 for a rifle that Gander Mountain cells for $730.

Their ammo prices are also the cheapest. Remington UMC .223 for $6.98 for 20 rounds. 200 shells of 12 GA target loads for $40.

brandon_mcg
November 22, 2010, 12:50 AM
dick's are very by the book on their policies and procedures, which i guess is ok. They gave me the run around on a remington 592. after about 30 minutes of explaining to them that the address on my license was correct i walked out the door with it for 50 bucks. hard to beat that. they dont sell pistols which is a bummer.

therewolf
November 22, 2010, 02:36 AM
It's called voting with your wallet.

We won the election.

By voting with our wallets also,( for example, by boycotting businesses which treat us poorly) we can really show heavy political clout as a consumer group.

Dicks---------- They're DONE
Toys-R-US-----They're DONE

They get NO MORE business from me.

If we unite, and "vote" often, we can all share a lot of power.WE ARE 85 million strong and we're all old enough to vote by ballot,also.(legal gun owners in the US) Now THATS a LOBBY(Oh, sorry, PAC for all you PC/DC types.)

docnyt
November 22, 2010, 02:44 AM
Dicks sucks (somehow that came out wrong). Not that Academy is much better but to some extent it is.

elcaminoariba
November 22, 2010, 02:53 AM
Buying a firearm from a "sporting" goods store that refuses to trust you with a handgun (and/or because a handgun has no "sporting purpose" to them), and won't sell handguns (Pig 5 comes to mind), is the same as sending a check straight to the brady campaign. "Sporting purpose" is the front that was used for decades to push gun bans, gun control, and restrictions on law abiding gun owners.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/356/big5dicksandbrady.jpg

JustA19D
November 22, 2010, 03:02 AM
Well you persuaded one person, i have always gone to dicks because of their selection of running gear, and probably would have bought a firearm from them if the price was right, now i will just take all my business elsewhere

kd7nqb
November 22, 2010, 03:14 AM
I frequent dicks and do much more browsing than buying and in 2 instances have found a gun at dicks and then gone to my local gun shop to by the same model. As far as I am concerned dicks only purpose to me is they generally have a decent selection that I can browse and paw through and then go elsewhere to buy.

Dazen
November 22, 2010, 06:07 AM
I was in a small local gun shop not to long ago when the owner took a phone call when i was buying a rifle. It was a very short call, all he said was "It's been 5 days and he came in here yesterday to pick it up It's his now" then he hung up. Right after that he tells me I dont understand why they ever bother calling me after the 3 day waiting period to deny someone and then act surprised that I let them walk out with it. He acted like it happens from time to time. Maybe that's why they just wait till they get the call? I in no way agree with them doing this just looking for what could possibly be their reasoning for doing that.

On a side note, what happens to the guy that walked out with said gun on the 4th day and then the call came in saying he was denied? I have been wondering this since that incident.

Al Thompson
November 22, 2010, 08:01 AM
Most shops around here (big and small) will not release the firearm until 10 days or so have passed. Several will not release unless positive permission is granted. Part of that is that most have gotten that phone call on day five denying the sale that was completed on day four.

ZCORR Jay
November 22, 2010, 08:25 AM
I think the only thing I've gotten from Dicks in the last two years is a fishing license and a new reel that was on clearance.

If I'm buying a gun I go to a gun shop, if I'm buying bike parts I go to a bike shop, and so on. The big stores may have better prices but how many hoops are they going to make you jump through for that price?

btg3
November 22, 2010, 08:36 AM
1. CWP has expedited my firearms purchases at big boxes, and the independent pawn/gun shops. If you don't have a Concealed Weapon Permit, depending on your state laws, you may be part of the problem by not exercising your rights and priveledges.

2. Bashing Dick's, et al to the point that they no longer carry firearms and ammo is tantamount to teaming up with the Brady bunch. Is there not a more constructive way to deal with this?

bushmaster1313
November 22, 2010, 08:46 AM
The Dick's I go to in Central New Jersey is just fine with respect to guns.

What I do not like is that the Dicks stores in Pennsylvania close to New Jersey will not sell to New Jersey residents even though that is perfectly legal.

Shopping A Round
November 22, 2010, 09:00 AM
I did have a previous positive review for Dick's with their prices (a new $199 10/22).

But here is what I forgot to mention. After the clerk examined my ID, he then asked if I had my certificate of a hunter safety course.

I just said scowled and said no. Then they sold it to me.

therewolf
November 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, btg3,

A CWP for all law abiding citizens is a great first step.

Teaming up on them the way we do with the Brady Bunch is the WHOLE POINT.

As legal gun owners in America, we are 85 million strong. But only if we unite.

Yarddog
November 22, 2010, 09:08 AM
I had a wait put on me at my LGS & I have a CWLP, So I know the owner & came back 3 working
days, He called As I over heard this guy wanting to sell a 686 S&W The owner said his
wife wrote wrong # on 4473 form. I asked that, Well rather TOLD him I'm not waitind 3 more days, He laughfed as I was eyeing that 686 & Handed over the gun. He said they
had their 3 days ; )PS I have a # on a card If Delayed one call & I'm Goog To GO !
Y/D

Bubba613
November 22, 2010, 09:12 AM
Personally I also wouldn't release a gun to anyone that I didnt have clear instructions was good to go.
But if big box stores suck so much why do people go back just because they can save $5 on a $500 item?

cavman
November 22, 2010, 09:23 AM
The last time I was there (about a month ago looking for some .38 rounds), I was asked to sign a sheet with my Name, Address, and Phone.

"What for", I asked.

"Montgomery County Police (MD) has asked us to give them the names of all the people buying ammo", he replied.

"So I don't have to?", I said. "They can go to H***" :), I said, pushing the unsigned paper back.

"We can only ask", he said, a little embarrassed.

I picked up my ammo and headed downstairs to pay.

Not a big deal for me as a mere "I don't think so" ended it. However there were about 20 names above where he asked me to sign, "doing their part", I am sure.

Bubbles
November 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
On a side note, what happens to the guy that walked out with said gun on the 4th day and then the call came in saying he was denied? I have been wondering this since that incident.
Someone from ATF comes by to get the 4473 (we make a copy for our records), and then they and the local LE go get the gun.

Also, we have one customer who is always delayed and ATF has never called us back to give us the go or no go on him.

db_tanker
November 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
wife and I went into the dicks sporting goods in Bee Cave near Austin.

She kinda gave me a few dirty looks when I looked at some of the prices and let out barks of laughter uncontrollably. Then she started looking and did the same. :) I am surprised they didn't charge us an entrance fee...we both decided that the Cabelas in Buda was a better bet.

I am sure that as long as there are people out there with more money than sense this store will stay in business...but I am sure that their numbers (stupid people with lots of money) are shrinking.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
November 22, 2010, 09:52 AM
Not really a bash---just weird.

Went in there a couple weeks ago---guy in the dept asks if I want to see anything---no I just got there and wanted to look everything over to see what they had---he asks a couple more times while I'm looking---no, not yet.

There's Savage combo with an extra 10% marked off the sale price--tag says its a model 93 from what I can make out from 10 feet away---tag was covering the magazine well--I ask if its a .22mag---no its a .22---you sure? ya-- mmmm-ok---I wasn't all that interested and left it at that.

Was just strange that he asks numerous times if I want to see something--then when I actually show some interest--he's too lazy to go look for sure.

dnlgao
November 22, 2010, 10:58 AM
As a former employee at dicks, im sorry you had that experience. The store i worked at wouldve honored that, WHEN I WORKED THERE. The problem is, coorporate, within the last couple months or so, has completely re done the firearms policies. The same with walmart. At dicks when i worked there, it didnt matter if .357, 9mm, .40 or .45 rolled across the register, it only said, "check id for 18 years of age" as almost ANY handgun round these days can go into a rifle. Walmart used to ask "Is this for a handgun or a rifle" the thing is now, both stores have changed their policies, atleast coorporate is trying to. At walmart, anything besides 22lr that is normally a handgun round, you HAVE to be 21 to purchase. same thing goes for dicks. I think your situation was more cooporates fault, than the store manager. Sorry for your experience. The one i worked at was all pretty cool, but then again i live in KS..

loadedround
November 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
I've been into Dicks several times and have been managed to be treated rudely by firearms ignorent clerks. Too top things off they are much higher priced than the mail order sites like MidwayUSA. My money will not be spent at Dicks!

kaferhaus
November 22, 2010, 12:06 PM

as another guy said, ATF will be visiting the dealer and then with the local sheriff they'll be visiting the buyer.... the gun will be confiscated and likely as not the buyer will be going to jail for possession of a firearm by a disqualified person.

The box stores don't want the publicity surrounding allowing a guy to walk with a gun, commits a crime and then it comes out they never got a release from the call in.

medalguy
November 22, 2010, 01:33 PM
Then tell me why we have a three day wait if (a) the check can't be done in three days, or (b) they will come pick up what is, by the law, a legal sale (pick the gun up after three days if no denial call is received). What's the purpose of this law and why don't we get rid of it??

btg3
November 22, 2010, 02:19 PM
... why don't we get rid of it??

The education problem in this nation is never more evident than on election day when we decide (or fail to decide) who our legislators will be.

kaferhaus
November 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
(a) the check can't be done in three days, or (b) they will come pick up what is, by the law, a legal sale (pick the gun up after three days if no denial call is received). What's the purpose of this law and why don't we get rid of it??

If it was a "legal sale" then they won't be coming to get it. If it takes them more than 3 days to find out that you can't "legally own" a fire arm... then you can't own it, probably knew you couldn't own it they're going to come get it and you.

The 3 day release was put in there to try and force them to perform the checks quickly instead of using it as "gun control" by dragging their feet for weeks or months approving a sale.

As it's now "law" it's never going to be repealed. I think they need to do a better job of eliminating "holds". But I'm not opposed to the law itself.

Ask any dealer how many "may not sell" orders they've gotten..... you may be surprised.... not saying all these folks were going to go commit a crime with it as if that were their plan they'd likely have bought one on the street..... but for whatever reason they're prohibited persons and cannot own or possess a weapon.

MikeNice
November 22, 2010, 04:17 PM
I gave up on going to Dicks when they wanted $9 for a box of 50 CCI Velocitor .22lr rounds. I saved about $4, plus tax, by ordering 4 boxes from Cheaper Than Dirt. I would have went to my LGS but none of them ever carry Velocitors.

Caleb4387
November 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
hi, i was curious what your issues with toys r us have been? i have had problems as well so just wonderin.

elcaminoariba
November 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
Someone from ATF comes by to get the 4473 (we make a copy for our records), and then they and the local LE go steal the gun.I had to fix that.

A free nation cannot have "prohibited persons" walking around. Go look up the definition of "eunuch" and why this practice was done. It is evil to the max, and infuriating that it is still practice in a different form. If a man can be trusted with his 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th amendment rights, then they have no authority to deny you the 2nd amendment. Prisoners are denied their 4th amendment rights because they are prisoners. Once you are let out of prison, or never went, you cannot legally be denied your 2nd amendment rights (unless unconstitutional laws are on the books, in which case, we are ALL in serious danger). Is what I said too "extreme" for you? Does it make you uncomfortable? Is the reason it makes you uncomfortable because it means we have serious problems and are in serious danger that you have heretofore rationalized so you don't have to get involved?

Robert
November 22, 2010, 04:54 PM
I've been into Dicks several times and have been managed to be treated rudely by firearms ignorent clerks.
Not to say that this is not true, but you would be surprised at the number of "gun people" that walk up to the counter and begin to display how rude and ignorant they can be.

I have stood behind the counter and listened as a convicted felon, he made a point of telling me so, told his wife to buy a rifle for him. When I said no, that it was illegal he got very agitated and told me that while he could not buy the rifle his wife could buy it for him... I laughed and said no... He stormed out ranting about me being a Nazi...

Point is, there are jerks on both sides of the counter. And I am frankly surprised that people continue to shop at Dick's, Walmart, Big 5 or any of the rest of the big box stores. Since they always have the worst prices and terrible customer services, and everyone that dislikes them posts about it on the internet...

Robert
November 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
A free nation cannot have "prohibited persons" walking around. Go look up the definition of "eunuch" and why this practice was done. It is evil to the max, and infuriating. If you can be trusted with your 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th amendment rights, then they have no authority to deny you the 2nd amendment. Prisoners are denied their 4th amendment rights because they are prisoners. Once you are let out of prison, or never went, you cannot legally be denied your 2nd amendment rights (unless unconstitutional laws are on the books, in which case, we are ALL in serious danger). Is what I said too "extreme" for you? Does it make you uncomfortable? Is the reason it makes you uncomfortable because it means we have serious problems and are in serious danger that you have heretofore rationalized so you don't have to get involved?
Sure, except none of that applies to a privately owned company.

If a law is constitutional or not is a moot point, at least in the confines of THR. We here at THR follow the letter of the law so that the other side is not given any other issues to use against us. If a law is unconstitutional then we, gun owners, need to find way to repeal the laws. And while many feel that organizations such as the NRA do too little or that they have sold out, a no compromise stance will get us nowhere.

Is what I said too "extreme" for you? Does it make you uncomfortable?
Nope.

What would you do to make a positive change in the current situation? And I don't mean repeal all the anti gun laws. In all honesty that is not going to happen anytime soon.

elcaminoariba
November 22, 2010, 05:32 PM
What would you do to make a positive change in the current situation? And I don't mean repeal all the anti gun laws. In all honesty that is not going to happen anytime soon.
A: States need to start passing laws allowing non violent felons to possess firearms. The feds would claim supremacy again, and pretend the state law doesn't count, but states still have a little sovereignty and a few of their rights left. The firearms freedom acts are a direct challenge to the illegal national firearms act. The ATF laughs at us for passing those laws, but when a half dozen more states pass them, the ATF will have a problem that laughing will not solve.

Robert
November 22, 2010, 05:36 PM
Maybe one day will will get to that point. And I hope it is sooner than later.

stchman
November 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
I don't go to Dick's either.

They are hypocrites. Dick's has a policy of not selling "assault" rifles. I was in a Dick's a while back and they had a Remington R-15 with a 6 position butt stock.

I went up to the guy and said "I thought Dick's does not sell assault rifles". The guy behind the counter said that is true. I pointed to the R-15 and said "what's that". He told me that was a hunting rifle.

Hmmm, so if you put a camo paint job on an AR-15 style rifle is transforms into a hunting only rifle? What a spectacular load of manure.

elcaminoariba
November 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
They are hypocrites. Dick's has a policy of not selling "assault" rifles. I was in a Dick's a while back and they had a Remington R-15 with a 6 position butt stock.

I went up to the guy and said "I thought Dick's does not sell assault rifles". The guy behind the counter said that is true. I pointed to the R-15 and said "what's that". He told me that was a hunting rifle.

Hmmm, so if you put a camo paint job on an AR-15 style rifle is transforms into a hunting only rifle? What a spectacular load of manure. I would have a talk with the manager over that idiocy. Then his/her manager. Then the district manager. I wouldn't stop until I ran out of managers and/or they stopped selling the R15 or sold a black AR. It's about honesty. I would tell the management that I don't appreciate being insulted with dishonesty and a schizophrenic policy.

By the way, enjoy: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/helpdesk/index.jsp?stillHaveQuestion=yes&subdisplay=contact&display=store&cp=1320930

elcaminoariba
November 22, 2010, 07:08 PM
Just called a Dick's not far from me and just confirmed everything in this thread about Dick's. I asked the gun department guy if they sold "ARs" and he said "no, we don't carry assault rifles." I asked if they have the remington r15 and he said yes. I started laughing and said "that is an AR." He then said that "because it doesn't have the 'A' in front, that it's not an assault rifle." I laughed a little and continued to ask why the color of the gun means it's suddenly an assault rifle. He was nice but was clearly experienced in defending an idiotic policy. Funny stuff. The best part is when he asked if I had tried a gun store.

Here's their corporate number to let them now how insane their corporate policy is: 1-866-677-4771 m-th until 6pm est.

EddieNFL
November 22, 2010, 08:21 PM
dick's are very by the book on their policies and procedures,

Apparently not.

I reminded them that according to the federal government if no call is received within 3 days the rifle can be released. I was then told that Dicks had decided to change itís store policy and so until they receive a call from the feds approving the sale they will not honor the 3 day delay process.

btg3
November 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
Big box sport's stores will carry guns/ammo only as long as it make business sense. If they get too much squeeze from regulation and customer dis-satisfaction, they have other ways to make a buck -- they will eliminate the hassle and focus on the remaining business. They have no 2A agenda interests other than retailing. DKS is a publicly traded stock and must satisfy stockholders who didn't buy the stock to underwrite the 2A.

Instead of making life harder for these retailers, we should put the heat on legilators to get their 2A act together.

Evergreen
November 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
Why shop at an overpriced and crappy store like Dick's??? I really miss G.I. Joes here in the Pacific Northwest, too bad they went out of business. Anyway, Dicks is mostly a store for sporting goods and even there it really is crappy. I prefer Wholesale Sports for my gun accessories/ammo and Sports Authority for my sporting good accessories. Dicks is a joke.

springwalk
November 22, 2010, 08:56 PM
Dicks is mostly yuppie over priced chinese made garbage. Though I did just buy $40 of ammo today thanks to the $10 coupon:D:D. Normally I dont buy anything there including the politically correct longguns with "warnings" stamped on the barrel and heavy trigger pulls.

22-rimfire
November 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
Never tried to buy a firearm at Dicks. I shop there and frequently buy their CCI Standard Velocity 22 LR ammunition at their regular price. I personally don't believe that Dick's Sporting Goods is anti-gun. It would take some convincing and employees abiding by their store policies is not anti-gun. They do sell the Remington R15. I might very well buy one there during a sale.

springwalk
November 22, 2010, 09:25 PM
22 rim, thats what I bought too! CCI standard at $24.99 a brick X2= $40 w/$10 coupon:D. Great stuff for silencer duty:cool:

22-rimfire
November 22, 2010, 09:47 PM
Dang.... I thought the last batch of coupons excluded ammunition. Dang...

mjwthr
November 22, 2010, 09:53 PM
Every once in a while I used to go to Dicks to get something since it was only a few miles and then would end up driving back past my house to head to Bass Pro or Cabelas since they never had what I needed.
The last time I was in there, for a set of swimming goggles since they were supposed to have a great selection I grabbed a pair and headed to the checkout counter.
When I got near I could see the counter but couldn't get to, had to walk back and forth and back and forth in the cattle guards (lanes). There was no one else in line and they could have opened them up, but no. So I ask about the new formation and then tell the clerk that they must not like their customers. Then she starts to tell me about the Dicks club. I say Not interested. She keeps on about it, I again tell her No. She then asks me if I like saving money so I tell her yes I do that why I just bought ammo at another local store for over 20% less and why I hardly ever buy anything at Dicks.
I later find the same set of goggles at Target for less money.
Haven't been back yet, but if I ever really need some tackle for a quick trip I might break my word and go back but I hope not. But never for any firearms related gear, too expensive.
Then again I said I'd never be back in Gander Mountain over 10 years ago. Bought a new 10/22 there last year, good price (with coupon) worst buying experience ever. Guess it will be another 10 years before I try that again.
Matt

hey_poolboy
November 22, 2010, 10:16 PM
I think the total of my purchases from Dick's includes two under armor shirts, a stocking cap, and a golf bag. I would not even consider buying a gun in there (WAY high prices), let alone their terrible selection of hunting gear.

All but one gun I own has come from the same shop. I buy other supplies at other places, but all are locally owned. They have always treated me with respect, and I do the same by buying from them instead of the big box down the road. Dick's and GM are about half a mile apart and they both sell the same gun for at least $50 more than I can get it from my local guy, and that's even before I haggle with him. Plus he always honors the waiting period unless there's a denial.

flank
November 22, 2010, 10:29 PM
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/fact-sheet
quoted right from the FBI NICS fact sheet, 7th paragraph down
If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer).

correct me if im wrong, but it says the decision on whether to release the firearm is up to that particular FFL dealer.

Ruger Redhawk
November 23, 2010, 01:13 AM
I've always refused to go to Dick's because of their anti gun ways. Recently I needed something and I called Dick's as a last resort. Two different times with the same results. I needed 209 primers for BP Season. Oh no we don't have them. Then I bought a new Leupold scope and needed the higher rings. Nope we don't have them. That was enough for me. Now reading this again and the time I wasted calling them puts the final nail in the coffin. May they RIP.

John Wayne
November 23, 2010, 02:31 AM
Oh, they'll tell you they don't sell "assault rifle ammo" too. That's why they carry .223 and .308, but not 5.56 and 7.62.

Better not tell 'em that .303 Brit is a machine gun round! They'd have a fit!

NY Marksman
November 27, 2010, 08:57 PM
A quick update. I went to a local FFL dealer here and walked out with my new Golden Boy 20 minutes later. Itís been 9 days now since I applied at Dicks and still never got a call back from them. They have lost me as a customer for good.

Kentucky_Rifleman
November 28, 2010, 01:52 AM
Since my tastes run to the slightly more exotic vintage arms, I never buy guns from the big box stores. Primers, powder, ammo, reloading gear - absolutely! (if the price is right) but no guns. I try to trade with my LGSs as much as possible, and resort to the BBoxes only when I can't get what I want elsewhere or elsewhere is double the price.

KR

Texas Gun Person
November 28, 2010, 02:06 AM
Yall must have the wrong Dick's stores near you. The one that I work near has a pretty good selection of fire arms. Not much handguns, but three good sized walls of long guns.

I go every now and then for clothes. Never bought a gun from there.

scrat
November 28, 2010, 03:11 PM
i have been to two dicks. One in Pasadena, CA and one in Oceanside, CA. what i first noticed is. That dicks is not a sporting goods store. Rather a sports apparel store. selling more clothes and shoes than anyone. i went in asked for the hunting department neither store had one. nor did they sell ammo. thier fishing department was also bleek. could get a better selection at walmart. just have nothing good to say about them. thier camping department also sucks. so i just dont go there anymore.

Badlander
November 28, 2010, 03:39 PM
I bought A Marlin 336SS at the dicks near me for $495. Two local gunshops had them in stock for $650. Gander Mtn Is always $100 higher on most any gun they both stock.
They are idiots to deal with but they usualy have A large selection of sporting arms.
Ammo is A bit cheaper than Gander.
I do enjoy the walk out of the store with an employee carrying your new gun. I asked the lady carrying the gun out if she realized that I used A CCW for Id and could have A loaded gun on me already. Just rules Sir!

jeepguy
November 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
i don't have to say that i don't agree with their policys, however i am glad they sell firearms. espically the r-15's, becuse in my mind if some random costomer goes in there looking for something else and comes out with a firearm its better for all of us. so any store selling firearms is better for all of us gun owners. plus people who don't own or have never known anybody who owns a firearm, it reminds them that they are legal & normal to own in this country. if they come out with a r-15 or r-25 its even better. we also have to remember the employes we incounter don't get to make policy.

KBintheSLC
November 28, 2010, 08:23 PM
I already don't shop there due to the poor selection, poor service, and bloated prices. I would be glad to continue not giving them my business on the OP's behalf.

gym
November 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
It's all in the name

RugerFirepower
November 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
About a year ago I went to Dick's for the first time, browsing around for a lever action rifle. They had no idea what a lever action was, including the employee who "knows about guns" :banghead:
I stick to proper FFLs...

the iron horse
November 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
Never shop there.

For all the reasons stated above.

Stony Lane
November 28, 2010, 11:29 PM
Be thankful that Dicks still sells ammunition and guns. Most mall-type "sporting goods" stores do not. We've lost several stores around here (Ohio) that used to sell both.
Is Dicks perfect? No, but if you watch for sales you can find some pretty good deals on ammunition... The more choices and competition the better!

788Ham
November 29, 2010, 12:04 AM
Post # 31, I like that, he asks if you have a hunter safety card? What makes the rummy think your going hunting? LOL

We have a dick's close by, I've been in there twice since the store opened, 5 years ago. There is never anyone in the gun dept., never! You have to go to another dept. and have them call someone, then someone begrudgingly shows up, looking like "How dare you waste my time?" Then when you ask for anything, ammo, without looking, they'll tell you they don't have it. We don't have a 3 day wait here, thank God, I was in a privately owned gun shop awhile back, looked at the pistol I wanted, an hour later I walked out with it, the reason I waited that long, there were 4 others waiting for their clearances!
Dick's can wait some more before I go back!!:cuss:

MrWesson
November 29, 2010, 12:26 AM
The dicks around me are pretty good because they have dedicated gun guys. I love the winchester dynapoint gt .22 ammo they sell and with the $10 off 25 dollar coupons I get all the time its a perfect escape from walmart(I reload everything I shoot but rimfire).

They have good prices on guns and help drive the prices of the local gun shops down which we are in dire need of here.

So they escort you out of the store.. big deal walmart and pretty much every other big box store does the same thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dicks Store Policy Sucks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!