Austin TX gun show

PDA

tuckerdog1
November 22, 2010, 08:27 AM
It's been awhile since SAXET was driven from Austin. But they were back this last weekend. Pleased about that. I intended to go, but had a very long & hard day at work. Was beat like the proverbial 'rented mule'. So skipped it.

So did anybody here go? Was the show a good one? Did the new location charge for parking? They did in San Antonio.

Hope to make the next one. Wondering what to expect.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

If you enjoyed reading about "Austin TX gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wedge
November 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
I didn't go, but my friend did and gave me a short report. Lots of people, many of the old vendors were back, some decent deals to be had. He didn't mention parking fees hopefully someone else will chime in. Sounded like a good show to go to and pretty large amount of vendors and people. I intend to go sometime in the next couple months.

tuckerdog1
November 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks Wedge. Sorry I missed it now.

Tuckerdog1

Onmilo
November 22, 2010, 09:37 AM
To this day, I still miss McBrides in Austin Texas.

tuckerdog1
November 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
To this day, I still miss McBrides in Austin Texas

Yea, you can pretty much spend the whole day in McBride's

Tuckerdog1

GEM
November 22, 2010, 02:45 PM
Awesome, thanks for the hint!

lvalmont
November 22, 2010, 06:19 PM
$2 parking $5 to get in. Plenty of dealers from the past Saxet shows. Pretty packed, had to wait in line at almost every table. Lighting was horrendous (really dark). No great deals to speak of, plenty of things to choose from.

Got some 44mag from Parebellum Research and a pistol stand.

M2
November 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
We went as well, it was a nice show but not worth the 90+ mile drive up from San Antonio.

Saw many familiar faces at the show, and found a few deals on bayonets (a Romanian AK and a Yugo M48). The folks on the upper floor were living in darkness, one vendor selling 1911 grips actually brought a flashlight so his customers could see his wares!

If you are from the Austin area or north, then it is probably worth attending; but if you are about the same distance from SA than the monthly SAXET show here is about 3-4x larger. I didn't see anyone or anything at the Austin show that I haven't see at the shows in SA...

But I am glad that our friends up in Austin have a decent show again. I went to the TGS show in July and it was the biggest waste of time and money I have experienced in a long time!

Cheers! M2

mongo4567
November 23, 2010, 08:18 PM
I didn't get there till Sunday. No great deals, but it is good to have a show again. I much prefer the SA show for number of sellers.

walker944
November 23, 2010, 08:27 PM
Where's the new SAXET location in Austin? I know the other show is/was (?) down in the old Target building on the south end of town. Never went to that one. I miss going to the old Crocket Center up off of Lamar.

BTW - SAXET in San Antonio has moved from the Colliseum to the San Antonio Events Center at Marbach and Loop 410. No charge for parking now.

danprkr
November 23, 2010, 10:22 PM
The Saxet show is at the Travis County Arena. It was good show, but I wonder how long it will last. There was a lot of pent up demand, but after that fades I wonder. In the meantime enjoy it. I'll be at the next one in December on the 18th and 19th I believe.

walker944
November 24, 2010, 07:43 AM
Just googled up SAXET. Looks like the new location is the Travis County Expo Center out on Decker Ln. Is that the same as the Tarrant County Arena???

GEM
November 24, 2010, 06:01 PM
No, the San Antonio show has had a major screw up. The adjacent church saw the light :banghead: and banned parking in front its store front and thus you have to pay for parking now. Or park in some weird limited adjacent areas of doubtful legality.

Saxet messed up their research on the site.

My friends and I have been skipping it.

Hi, M2!

M2
November 24, 2010, 09:05 PM
Howdy GEM! :neener:

The secret to the SA show is to get there about an hour early, park for free and then walk over to the nearby IHOP or taquería for breakfast. You not only save two bucks; but you get front row parking!

Just don't tell anyone! :scrutiny:

As for the Austin show, it most definitely was at the Travis County Expo Center out on Decker Lane. At least that is where all the people selling guns were last Saturday morning!

The Tarrant County Convention Center is now known as the Fort Worth Convention Center!

Cheers! M2

danprkr
November 25, 2010, 08:15 AM
Doh, that's what I get for living in both places. :o:o:o:o

Hansli
November 25, 2010, 10:14 AM
To this day, I still miss McBrides in Austin Texas

Skip the show and go to McBride's, arguably one of the best gunshops in the state if not the country. There is a lot in there and not at retail either. Unfortunately if you're looking for jerky, honey pecans, wornout arms or milsurp you'll have to pay $7 at the 'show' for the opportunity to buy.

GEM
November 25, 2010, 11:10 AM
If you go to McBride's, then you can have a fun day on Lamar. Go to Book People which is a great independent book store. Go to the Central Market and Whole Foods flagships and stuff yourself. Buy weird foods!

McBride's also has a coin store. Up the road there is a great comics store.

Only thing about McBride's is that they are a touch pricey and there is one nasty clerk. Thinks he is Commando Joe and expert in all. The others are fine. They do have a good price on Surefire batteries in the box. But it is a fun store.

Then find a funky restaurant to eat!

BTW, I like Dury's in San Antonio. They have a lot of my money. I've found some really good deals on used revolvers. Got a nice Colt Cobra and SW 19 from them.

M2
November 25, 2010, 12:58 PM
McBride's is nice but the few times I've been there I've not seen anything at a price I couldn't live without. Dury's is the same, and I did pick up a Remington Mosin there at a decent price but that was via an online auction. The Powderhorn on the west side of SA (and near where the SAXET show is held) is on par with those two shops, friendly folks and about the same price ranges; but to be honest other than private sales I have found the best deals at the shows...

But just to note the majority of my collection is milsurp, and there are a few regular dealers I usually buy from. Outside of those, probably the one that gets the most of my hard-earned money is Alan from AJC Sports. He always has some great prices on firearms, and I've bought three SA 1911s, one Arsenal AK and a few others from him. Honestly, I find he's got the best prices on new guns, and one of the largest selections at the show.

The biggest plus for the shows is that my 13-yr-old son and I make a morning out of it. We go early and eat at IHOP, and then walk the floor together. He's turning into a real gun nut (which is better than a nut with guns!) and wants me to buy everything. He's really bugging me to buy a MP5, which ain't happening; but it's nice to have this father-son time together...

Cheers! M2

GEM
November 25, 2010, 01:27 PM
You can't beat the shows for price on standard new items. Ammo isn't so great though there. I get better deals on practice ammo at the big box stores. Watching for sales and coupons helps.

Dury's used guns can be too expensive but for some reason, I've done well on their revolvers.

I still miss the Broadway shows. My buddies and I would meet and then eat at the little sandwich shop in the antique mall next door. They had a good soup and sandwich deal.

M2
November 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
GEM

You mean the old location just north of 410 by the airport? Those were some of the first gun shows we started going to when we arrived here. I prefer the SA Event Center because it is closer, but the parking was better at that location.

I wish there were more eatery options near Marbach, we've been eating at the IHOP ever since they started having shows there and honestly it's beginning to lose its appeal. My son doesn't like breakfast tacos that much so the taquería isn't an option. Since it's only a 15-minute drive, and I like to park and walk to where we are going to eat breakfast, there's only the two choices.

And the church in that complex are jerks, most of the time "their" parking lot is empty. It they were smart they'd charge a buck for parking and rack in a couple hundred dollars or more every day of the show!

Cheers! M2

walker944
November 25, 2010, 07:10 PM
My favorite gun shows in San Antonio were at the Hemisfair convention center downtown. Those shows were fantastic. Occasionally I'd run into some of the Spurs practicing basket ball next-door in the arena...Paul Pressey comes to mind. My daughters were young back then (4-5 yrs old) and I'd take them with me. After the show we'd go up in the Hemisfair tower just for the fun of it. That's when tickets for the elevator we $1 each. The show moved from the convention center to the Freeman colliseum, to Broadway, back to the Colliseum, to Live Oak, to Evers, out to the Shriners on 1604, now to Marbach. Man, we've been all over this town for gun shows...

danprkr
November 26, 2010, 07:52 AM
I had lost interest in McBrides a few years back, but stopped in there the other day simply because I had time to kill, a specific gun I was looking for, and was in the area. I was pleasantly surprised at the used prices (I rarely buy new). They were quite competitive, consistently on the high side of the range, but in the range. Just didn't have the specific gun I was looking for, at least not used. So, I may be stopping in there more often now.

Having said that I love guns shows simply to look at the diversity of not only the guns, accessories, literature, etc, but also the people in our little world :D

M2
November 26, 2010, 11:33 AM
McBrides is a class gun shop, the few times I've been there I found the folks working at it to be very friendly and helpful. I've just gone in to look around, but they still took the time to chat for a bit.

I find the same at Dury's and The Powderhorn in SA, but Nagel's a bit less so.

That is one of the things I enjoy about going to the shows, unless they are really busy most of the vendors will take the time to talk with ya. Heck, some will talk to ya even when you don't want to! :D

Cheers! M2

Justin Holder
November 26, 2010, 09:38 PM
I always found McBrides to be a little on the "snobby" side.

walker944
November 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
I agree with Justin Holder!! But the worst gunshop on the planet has to be Nagels, in San Antonio. What a complete "Charlie Foxtrot" (CF) of guns displayed, and the lighting is attrocious, not to mention the crap that abounds in every isle, nook and cranny. Just a completely annoying place to go...unfortunately.

GEM
November 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
Nagels - once went there to browse. Was looking at the used guns and some clerk followed me to every case, with arms crossed, glaring at me.

Way over priced on new guns.

I've found that some of these types stores specialize in stroking good ol' boys with tough guy gun stories (McBrides's commando clerk is good at that). Lot's of Har, Har, Har time with guys.

I once went there and saw knife on sale as discontinued. So I asked the grizzled old women if they would deal on price. I had to flee for my life as she sicked her flying monkeys on me - if you get my drift.

But this is common trend in specialty shops. I once was dissed seriously in a fancy cheese store in Oregon. :eek:

Coin stores also have the same type of clerk.

One fancy - we are the best store in San Antonio - opened up, had attitude and closed forthwith.

lvalmont
November 27, 2010, 11:35 AM
McBrides does seem to be snobby at times. The owner himself knows that he has a small monopoly on Austin gun sales (there are no other strong contenders within reasonable driving distance) and doesn't seem to mind losing a customer or two here and there.

The sales staff is always as helpful as possible, but it is usually packed and some people just get lost in the shuffle. Some days I'll go in and get asked if I need help by 3-4 different people instantly and other days it'll take 10-20 minutes for me to get someone.

The worst part is that they do paperwork/buy used guns from private individuals on the display counters, effectively occupying whatever section they happen to be on for 5-15 minutes.

Some are know-it-alls, but I have always been impressed with their knowledge. Also, anytime a clerk doesn't know an answer to my question he almost always says "Hm, I don't actually know.." and will ask all the other clerks to see if he can get a right answer, rather than being prideful and making up and answer or guessing.

Also, the gunsmiths upstairs have ALWAYS been very honest and helpful. They refer me to other gunsmiths when they know that they can't serve my needs 100%.

I guess I visit often enough that all the clerks know me and know I usually buy at least one gun a month, that may affect the way I get treated, but I have never seen them be unfair to ANYONE (saw a "homie" looking guy come in asking for a magazine for his Raven/Lorcin/Jennings and the clerk helped him sift through a box of unsorted magazines to help him find the right one).

GEM
November 27, 2010, 01:13 PM
Well, I saw a guy come in with an SKS and wanting to get parts to modify it. The commando clerk started to scream at him - YOU WILL GO TO FEDERAL PRISON.

The guy says - but I read that.

Clerk yells : Didn't you hear me - you will go to - blah, blah.

Could have said it quietly but he was showing off. The guy calls him a backside orifice and leaves. Then commando starts yelling to the whole joint that he was called a butt chute. Ha ha.

Another time, Commando was showing a good ol boy a snubby. GOB says it has limited capacity - a debate in and of itself. So Commando says: Well, if you need more than one shot, YOU AIN'T DOING YOUR JOB. HAR, HAR!

Great advice. Now, I grant you some of the older gentlemen are fine to talk to and I suppose most stores have one jerk.

With Academy's around - if you want a standard Glock or SW snubby - you can do better on price. And they have other standards reasonably.

So my advice to McBride's is to give that guy some mellowing training.

If you enjoyed reading about "Austin TX gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!