Saxet Gun Shows 30.06 & bag check

PDA

Guillermo
November 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
Texas gun show attendees, it is time to take action.

Not only does Saxet Gun Shows have a 30.06 sign, which should be enough to boycott them...but at the Austin show this weekend there was an Elgin cop at the door going through range bags like TSA.

It is disgusting for a company that depends on gun owners to treat us like Sarah Brady.

I know Saxet has been discussed before but the bag check is WAY over the top.

Here is their email address and contact info.

Remember to be polite.

saxetgun@sbcglobal.net

http://saxetshows.com/images/sax2.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "Saxet Gun Shows 30.06 & bag check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 22, 2010, 01:07 PM
What with the recent rash of gun show ND's all over the country, it's little wonder.
Probably an insurance thing banning all loaded guns if they want to keep having gun shows.

I had to hit the floor in Topeka a couple of years ago waiting for a .45 ACP bullet to stop zinging around off the concrete in the Expo hall.

The 30.06 sign is the perogitive of the buildings owner, and I doubt the gun show promoter has any say in the matter if they want to continue to rent the building.

At least you still have shows!
Our county commission banned them here in the fairgrounds buildings most suitable for them

rc

Guillermo
November 22, 2010, 01:37 PM
The 30.06 sign (texas' way of stopping concealed carry) is bad enough...but the bag check is way too far.

skwab
November 22, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure if that's saxet, Guillermo, that might be Texas law. (not the bag check though) But every gun show I've been to (and I live in Texas as well) has forbidden concealed carry on the premises. In fact, the gun show I went to this past weekend in Belton (south of Temple) even had the ammo vendors completely separate from the gun vendors.

nalioth
November 22, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure if that's saxet, Guillermo, that might be Texas law. (not the bag check though)It is not state law.

JTH
November 22, 2010, 02:17 PM
Guillermo,
It was just up to recently that Austin wasn't having any gun shows, due to the politics of Austin. Unless this is a new law they should have moved the Shows to Bastrop. I just moved from the Austin area to Huntville, Tx. went to a Saxet gun show in Conroe. Don't remember seeing such a sign but I wasn't carrying anything. Was a fairly decent show, didn't get gouged to park(no fee), was surprised entrance fee was only $5.00.
JT

Guillermo
November 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
It was just up to recently that Austin wasn't having any gun show
actually there have been other gun shows, just not as well attended as Saxet.
And no 30.06 or bag check

Even if they were the only game in town we should not lay back and take it

TexasRifleman
November 22, 2010, 06:12 PM
There is no law requiring the sign or a bag check for gun shows.

However, there may be a requirement by the building owner that anyone renting it for gun shows or other events has to post the sign.

Might want to check that before deciding it's Saxet.

If the only places you can have a gun show require you to post a sign before they will rent you the building, what else can you do?

And even though Texas law says that government owned buildings cannot be posted with the sign, some city attorneys have argued that this doesn't keep the renters from posting, or that they can't require the renters to post, in city owned arenas. TSRA disagrees with that, but no one has sued yet.

texas bulldog
November 22, 2010, 08:34 PM
Is it possible the sign is permanently posted on the building? Or it could very well be required by insurance or rental agreement. Frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about carry at a gun show, and this is coming from a guy who supports constitutional carry with no regulations at all. Plain fact is that any analysis of NDs shows that mixing loaded and unloaded guns is a common recipe. Since we here stories of NDs at gun shows on these forums pretty frequently, it might be a smart move. They make us all look bad in the eyes of non-gun people.

Besides...Saxet kinda sucks anyway.

I hear you that bag checks are BS. My solution? Don't bring a bag.

Guillermo
November 22, 2010, 08:36 PM
Is it possible the sign is permanently posted on the building

no...it is their sign

Guillermo
November 22, 2010, 08:40 PM
I am pretty amazed at THR members and their lack of outrage.

Guess I am the only one who sees this as treason.

Everyone else seems to think that it is no big deal to have one of our own act like Gun Control Inc.

We ban Toys R Us but I seem to be the only one who is writing the company.

And I am now a little sick to my stomach

db_tanker
November 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
HGCA at Reliant, High Caliber at GRB and Pasadena, and the Saxet at Lone Star convention center in Conroe all honor CHL and don't search bags...

I think its an Austin thing....

jdh
November 22, 2010, 09:55 PM
I asked about the sign long ago. The reply was that is it required by their insurance carrier.

TexasRifleman
November 22, 2010, 10:13 PM

Guess I am the only one who sees this as treason.

I'm pretty amazed at the willingness to jump all over Saxet without having all the facts in order yet. Cries of treason with no evidence of any kind other than the existence of the sign? Seriously?

So again I'm going to ask you. Do you know for a fact that the sign is not a requirement of the property owner and Saxet is obligated to post a sign as a condition of renting the property?

In my mind that is a very real possibility because I've run into it before here in Ft Worth.

The reply was that is it required by their insurance carrier.

Another very real possibility, and also not unheard of.

I'm going to hold back being outraged until I know WHO I should direct it towards, I suggest everyone else do the same. You can't just decide to go on the attack if you are not armed with all of the information you can gather, and there seems to be quite a bit still unclear here.

If having the signs is a condition of the insurance company or the event property owner is Saxet at fault?

AKElroy
November 22, 2010, 10:27 PM
You know what really grinds my gears? Threads that find a reason to bash actual contributors to the RKBA. SAXET holds shows at three local forums; all three post the 30-06 365 X 24.

If it werent for yahoo's touching off live rounds in a crowd, they would not be checking bags. Did it occur that maybe they are trying to keep their show OPEN??? One life gets taken by an idiot induced ND and that will be the end of them.

No insurance = no event; I am certain their policy requires this. We have enough obstacles to overcome without eating our own.

DJW
November 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
I attended the Saxet show last Saturday. Did not notice the sign. Did notice the parking fee though. Also did not notice the bag check. I did see them checking firearms and putting the plastic tie on the action as they have been doing for years. Not much of a show IMHO. It was good to have them back but the poor lighting and seeming abundance of non-firearms merchandise was discouraging. Oh well, at least we have a show after a whole year w/out Saxet.

Guillermo
November 23, 2010, 12:11 AM
So again I'm going to ask you. Do you know for a fact that the sign is not a requirement of the property owner and Saxet is obligated to post a sign as a condition of renting the property?

it was hung by cable ties and looked identical to the one that hung at the Crockett Center.

It was NOT attached with screws or nails to the wall.

as to the insurance possibility, the other Austin gun show does not have a 30.06 or go through range bags like a TSA agent after an 8 year old girl.

It is amazing that folks are banning other businesses because of their anti-gun activity and yet refuse to complain about a gun business that is anti-gun.

Since I am the only poster that believe's in the RKBA and this has swerved into something beyond activism the moderators will (and should) close the thread.

I guess I am the only one that believes that disarming good people is a bad thing.

cog099
November 23, 2010, 12:14 AM
I for one missed having the Saxet shows in Austin over the better part of the last year. I am aware there were other shows, and I attended a couple. The Saxet show is as good as it gets(for gun shows anyway) in the Austin market. The other shows were a complete waste of time and way overpriced. If you are gonna sell guns in Austin keep in mind there are several good shops and your prices need to be in line or I call b/s quick. Saxet has always seemed to have reasonable sellers.

As far as the 30.06 sign, if it keeps some knucklehead from doing something stupid and having their show shut down again then I can live with that. It is obvious that gunshows and particularly Saxet has been somewhat in the crosshairs of law enforcement and activists in the Austin market.

Atleast I don't have to drive to S.A. or Belton for a decent show anymore.

M2
November 23, 2010, 12:16 AM
Since there was an ND at a SAXET show a few months back, I wouldn't count on these signs going away anytime soon! And that was with a 30.06 sign displayed, so someone (I believe it was a vendor) violated the law.

And it's not unique to SAXET, Texas Guns Shows also have a 30.06 sign.

By the way, we drove up from SA to the Austin show on Saturday. It was nice and a heckuva lot better than the TGS show back in July (the last show in Austin I went to); but the San Antonio SAXET show has 3-4 times the number of vendors...

Cheers! M2

AKElroy
November 23, 2010, 12:37 AM
It is amazing that folks are banning other businesses because of their anti-gun activity and yet refuse to complain about a gun business that is anti-gun.

Dude--You have read my posts, and I think this is the first time I can recall disagreeing with you. I do not think for one second SAXET is anti gun. I do believe they are doing what they must in light of recent ND's to ensure they stay in business.

I own a business, and I carry everyday & encourage my employees to do the same. I teach gun safety. I bleed RKBA. With ND's at their events, their is no way they are insurable without these steps.

With the recent ND's, here it comes.........I actually like it. It is a private business doing what they need to do to operate. If it were the Government, I am right with you.

TexasRifleman
November 23, 2010, 01:05 AM
ince I am the only poster that believe's in the RKBA and this has swerved into something beyond activism the moderators will (and should) close the thread.

No, we're waiting for some kind of actual proof. Have you contacted Saxet? Have you any evidence at all that they are anti gun other than the fact there were signs at this site?

That's not a lot to go on, you have to understand that. If you have some proof they are anti gun you will have plenty of people following you, but so far it's just guessing.

You are asking people to crank up the boycott/activism machine without knowing exactly what is going on.

The sign not being permanently attached doesn't have anything to do with it. As I said, there are properties in Ft Worth that require the renter to post the signs, the signs are not permanently attached. Again, that is evidence of nothing really. It doesn't explain WHY the signs are there.

The signs themselves do not prove an anti gun bias. You keep comparing this to the Toys R Us thing. That's entirely different because we have communication from their corporate headquarters flat out stating they are anti gun. THAT is evidence. All we are asking is for some proof other than your gut feeling.

Guillermo
November 23, 2010, 02:01 AM
we're waiting for some kind of actual proof
an Elgin cop digging through range bags (I witnessed this)
and a 30.06 sign that was temporary (as it was at the Crockett Center) is proof

All we are asking is for some proof other than your gut feeling.
their actions should be enough

ou are asking people to crank up the boycott/activism machine without knowing exactly what is going on
30.06 signs and bag searches are what is going on...you are asking for WHY they are anti gun...not proof as to that fact

Have you contacted Saxet?
snail mail, email and telephone...they have not responded

BTW, the other Austin gun show had no 30.06 sign. Saxet operated with a 30.06 sign at the privately owned Crocket Center so it is silly to suggest that their sign was a result of moving to the Travis County Expo Center...they had it before

And the bag check should make anyone that believes in freedom want to puke.

I truly find it unbelievable that people that claim to care about the right to keep and bear arms are taking up for a 30.06 business that rips through people's bags like TSA.

I know how Alice felt when she ended up down the rabbit hole. But it is not me on acid.

M2
November 23, 2010, 02:25 AM
Well, for one, we didn't witness anyone's bags being gone through on our way into that show. As a matter of fact, until you posted I had not heard about it on the other Texas gun forum that I frequent, and I would have expected it to be mentioned. I am not saying it didn't happen, but I am saying that several people that I know who went to that show didn't see it, myself included.

Secondly, I have to agree with AKElroy, I actually am in favor of enforcing 30.06 at gun shows. Why? Because there is too many firearms on display and I wouldn't and don't trust other people to have enough situational awareness to know when they are handling a loaded weapon and when they are not. The ND at the SAXET show a few months back is proof that even with these measure in place, people will disregard them and it could have easily cost someone their life!

So much like any other business (which a gun show is), I comply with their wishes or I don't go on their property (or at least the property under the control at the time). I have no problems with disarming at gun shows and have been doing it for years. I think it adds an additional layer of safety for everyone involved which I feel is more important than my (or anyone's) individual right to carry.

If folks feel differently, they have the option of not going to the show; but I doubt you'll have much luck trying to convince them to change their policy...

M2
November 23, 2010, 02:34 AM
By the way, if you want to see an end to gun shows in Austin, a ND at one of them will be the quickest way that will happen!

We are lucky that the one here in SA didn't get much publicity or media attention; and I am sure SAXET is counting their lucky stars that it didn't! I did notice a remarkable decrease in attendance at the next show, but it seems to have built back up again.

Plus, gun shows aren't on such thin ice here as they are in Austin, but if someone was injured or worst as a result of this incident you can bet there'd be such a high level of security checking for loaded weapons it would make the current TSA measures look like an Easter egg hunt!

Honestly, given the history of problems with gun shows in Austin, and the success of this past weekend's event; I would expect more positive observations about the show SAXET put on. Otherwise, y'all will be making the 90+ minute drive to SA once a month to see anything remotely close to a gun show...

nalioth
November 23, 2010, 02:38 AM
As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, almost every ND at a gun show has involved a vendor.

In fact, I've not heard of one caused by a non-vendor.

Kinda hard keeping ammunition out of the show, when the vendor is an ammunition salesman.

justgoto
November 23, 2010, 03:39 AM

I am amazed at the "lack of outrage" from self proclaimed patriots on a daily basis.

TexasRifleman
November 23, 2010, 10:04 AM
I truly find it unbelievable that people that claim to care about the right to keep and bear arms are taking up for a 30.06 business that rips through people's bags like TSA.

You are not really listening to what others are saying. Proof that the actions took place is not the point, the point is who caused them to happen.

If Saxet was told they had to do these things or no gun show could happen at all do you still consider Saxet anti gun? If they had cancelled a gun show because they didn't want to put up signs that would allow the anti gunners a victory.

I'd rather have a gun show operator forced to put up signs and still have a gun show than shut gun shows down. If that's what has happened we can then work on the group causing the problems.

All I am asking is proof either way. If you don't think it matters then nothing will change.

Were they forced, or was it voluntary? I think that's a very important question.

If they did it on their own they deserve a serious lashing, if they were forced to then we need to find out who forced them and turn our attention to that group.

Was it an insurance company? Was it the property owner? Was it some city/county LE pressure? Those are all unanswered questions but all you want to do is call the rest of us out for a lack of action.

I've emailed and called the Saxet folks myself, yesterday afternoon and I'm going to again here this morning. I suggest others do the same. But don't call them anti gunners yet, call to ask WHY the signs and searches were in place.

Stay on them until we find an answer, but it's a little early to be calling them anti gun and asking for a boycott.

hso
November 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
Too many assumptions and too much hysterical hyperbole in this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saxet Gun Shows 30.06 & bag check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!