Forster Co Ax good for big stuff???

PDA

snowshooze
November 22, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi all;
Is the Co Ax good for the big belted magnums like the 375/416 etc?
I just sold my presses and am going for a brand new shiny Co Ax, but they aren't a huge press at all, and I am wondering if I should invest in a heavy single stage for the big stuff... if I do it will be the Redding ultramag...but is it necessary?
Thanks,
Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Forster Co Ax good for big stuff???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
noylj
November 22, 2010, 05:38 PM
Call Forster. They make dies up to the .375 Rem Ultra Mag.
You don't need a heavy press to reload. You need to lube the cases.
I have only loaded up to .30-06 (more than enough rifle for me) and it was very easy. Love the press.
Now, if you want to swage bullets for your .416, you might need a big, heavy, "O" frame press.

Greg Mercurio
November 22, 2010, 08:54 PM
Mark: The Forster is a great press and has all the leverage you need for the large cases short of a 50BMG. I loaded .375 H&H for 30 years on my little RCBS Jr. and only had to adapt the bullet loading procedure for the minimal press opening. I finally traded up to the Rock Crusher last year for ease of loading both .375 H7H and .416 Rigby. I'd trade the Rock Crusher in a NY minute for a Forster. Happy reloading. :D

flashhole
November 22, 2010, 09:02 PM
People (read Forster press fans) will throw stones at me for this but I sold my Forster because I got tired of pinching my fingers when loading for 300 Win Mag. The ergonomics of the Forster are not for everyone. I migrated to a Redding Ultramag and I like it a lot better.

snowshooze
November 22, 2010, 09:26 PM
So far, so good...thanks guys!
Flashhole, did you have the current model with the 1 1/2" extended yoke on it, or the older production model? Where was it biting you?
If there are any other issues with the Co Ax, well, that's why I am asking... I can't get the straight talk from a catalog. No offense taken, and thanks for the response.
Mark

flashhole
November 22, 2010, 10:31 PM
Mine was the B2, not the B3 with the extended yoke. The yoke was only a problem with seat dies that had a micrometer adjust because there was not enough clearance. The problem I encountered was seating long bullets in long cases. There just wasn't much working room for my big hands and I had to stick the bullet up into the seat die then drop it down onto the case. When I held the bullet in place and raised the case I was always getting pinched fingers. It was a great press for shorter cartridges but I didn't care for the way it was adapted for long cases. I had the same issue loading 45-70.

Notice I did not say it was a lousy press, I just didn't care for the ergonomics and pinching my fingers. I like my Ultramag much better.

JimKirk
November 23, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm a big fan of the Forster/Bonanza press ... had one for almost 40 yrs. . I could see there being some problems getting fingers in there for the long cartridges, but I never loaded anything longer than 300 WM and never had any problems. The Redding Ultra mag would be my next choice, after the Forster/Bonanza.

Jimmy K

If you enjoyed reading about "Forster Co Ax good for big stuff???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!