S&W 442 pocket carry ?

PDA

tercel89
November 23, 2010, 09:01 PM
I got a S&W 442 and was wondering if any of you guys pocket carry these ? If so what kinda pocket holster do you use ? Or do you just carry it without a holtser ?
I'll be carrying it on my ankle at work but would like to pocket carry on my days off .
How do you carry your 442 or similiar S&W airlight revolvers ?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 442 pocket carry ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bdb benzino
November 23, 2010, 09:20 PM
My S&W 638 is in an Uncle Mikes Pocket holster in my sweatpants as I type this now!

MIL-DOT
November 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
I'm a pocket-carry fan, and recentlly bought a Smith 642. A buddy of mine turned me on to these pretty slick little pocket holsters. Believe it or not, it's actually a dirt-cheap item from "Cheaper than Dirt". :rolleyes:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA924-33.html

tercel89
November 23, 2010, 09:48 PM
I was looking at the pocket holsters from Don Hume . I have a lot of Don Hume holsters and they work great . I had a pocket holster for my old Tomact but never had one for a revolver . I was thinking about this ......

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=32&zenid=0bc56bt1k9ir3f6q2pavq18nl4

dubshooter
November 23, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm a pocket-carry fan, and recentlly bought a Smith 642. A buddy of mine turned me on to these pretty slick little pocket holsters. Believe it or not, it's actually a dirt-cheap item from "Cheaper than Dirt". :rolleyes:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA924-33.html
I personally was not a fan of this holster. I think they're too bulky. Seem to add too much into the pocket.

Although, it does help to b reak out the outline of the gun.

But that's just my opinion.

franco45
November 23, 2010, 11:17 PM
I carry a 642 with crimson trace grips in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. Left front pocket as I am a southpaw. It is pretty comfortable. You don't forget it's there but it doesn't weigh you down either

JoelSteinbach
November 23, 2010, 11:18 PM
Desantis stays in your pocket, when you remove your weapon

duns
November 23, 2010, 11:21 PM
I carry my M&P340 in a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster. It's cheap, stays in the pocket when you draw the gun, and makes the bulge look very similar to a wallet (maybe a largish wallet). No one can tell the bulge is created by a gun.

yeti
November 24, 2010, 12:01 AM
Drum roll please...

And the correct answer is...

In a Mika Pocket Holster (http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/order.html) , on the right side. (right as in RIGHT, or correct, which ever you prefer)

Darn things get squirrely if you just put them in a pocket, the pocket holster keeps proper orientation, breaks up the outline, and keeps debris away from the gun.

Phydeaux642
November 24, 2010, 12:13 AM
And the correct answer is...

In a Mika Pocket Holster

Not quite...it is a round-cut Mika Pocket Holster.

yeti
November 24, 2010, 12:31 AM
I like the square cut for coat poctets/cargo pockets and the round for pants/jacket wallet pockets, so I was putting them down as both being correct, or at least neither being incorrect.

bad dog, no bisquit.:)

motorcycle-charlie
November 24, 2010, 09:13 AM
i carry my 442 in a Blackhawk size 3 pocket holster. it is made in the U.S.A. and only cost me about $10 at a local sporting goods store. it has enough padding for all day comfort but is thin enough to conceal well in regular fit jeans. it rides in my Levi 505s pretty well and i am not a very big guy. only about 5'6" and 160 lbs.

Camjr
November 24, 2010, 01:05 PM
642 all day every day in either a Mika Round Cut or Nemesis pocket holster (holster choice depends on the cut of the pocket).

Cheers!

DAdams
November 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
Yep, Mika Roundcut. I hear Robert has them readily available these days. I like the Mika better than the Nemesis.

btg3
November 24, 2010, 01:33 PM
Another vote for Mika roundcut with 442/642.

jon86
November 24, 2010, 04:09 PM
My S&W 638 is in an Uncle Mikes Pocket holster in my sweatpants as I type this now!

Weird. My 638 is in an uncle mike's pocket holster... but i'm wearing jeans.

Racinbob
November 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking I gotta try a Mika round. I bought a square cut and it didn't work nearly as well as the Uncle Mikes. I'm a skinny guy and that poses some problems concealing a J frame. I tried a LCP that concealed well but after 30 years of J frames revolvers I'll never change.

smallbore
November 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
I carry my 642 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Chumango
November 24, 2010, 11:20 PM
642 in a Desantis Nemesis

wrs840
November 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
...I carry my 442 in a Blackhawk size 3 pocket holster.

Me too. The Blackhawk breathes well with the light padding, and is near perfect, IMO, for an Airweight snub. I also pocket-carry a 637 (2-1/2"bbl with the S&W factory version of a CT305 grip) in a Desantis Nemesis, and find the 637 to be my favorite when the pocket is deep enough. Both carry great in blue jeans or cargo pants, but not so well in summer-weight dress slacks, when I must (regrettably) back-off the bulk a tad in favor of a LCP in a leather wallet-holster.

Les

Boulder
November 25, 2010, 01:52 AM
I carry a 442 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster everyday, irregardless of what else I may be carrying.

Litlman
November 25, 2010, 07:56 PM
442 since 1993 in a Uncle Mikes left front pocket & speed loader in the right. Been thinking about trying something new.

FCDeputy1911
November 25, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have had my 642 for 5 years and it sits in a uncle mikes pocket holster that I bought for 8.00 at my local gun store. It has never let me down and the gun comes out and the holster stays in my pocket everytime.

jhvaughan2
November 25, 2010, 10:54 PM
I'm going to admit it in public. For pocket carry, I use a cheap old uncle mikes IWB holster with the clip cut off. (It cost me $13 not including scissors) It is very slim and I like the fuller coverage that it has over normal pocket holsters. On practice draws it has never come out of the pocket. (Nor has the hammer of my m37 ever hung on a draw either, but that's another topic.)
http://www.uncle-mikes.com/images/inside_pant_holster.jpg

cookekdjr
November 25, 2010, 10:57 PM
Uncles Mikes or Desantis work great.

tercel89
November 26, 2010, 08:29 AM
When you guys wear these nylon/or whatever material other than leather inside your pockets , doesnt it seem kinda thick ? Like cause a buldge ?

Camjr
November 26, 2010, 09:45 AM
When you guys wear these nylon/or whatever material other than leather inside your pockets , doesnt it seem kinda thick ? Like cause a buldge ?

Yes, it will cause a bulge. However, a good pocket holster will break up the pattern of the revolver so you can't tell it's a gun. Also, I find a revolver, by design, will present a more rounded bulge than a little pistol like a LCP or KelTec. They may be smaller, but a 442/642 small enough and more powerful with +p defense ammo.

Cheers

tercel89
November 28, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hey guys , I went with the DeSantis Nemisis . It seems to be the thinnest when my gun was in it . I took my gun and stuck it into a lot of holsters and the Nemesis seemed to work the best , and it was $20 . I liked it too cause it was thin yet wide . I like it wide cause it filled the rest of the width in my pocket which causes the gun to not rock forward or backwards like the Uncle mikes did . The uncle mikes was good but too thick and too thin(like top to bottom) . When in the pocket it would fall forward then backwards .

Camjr
November 28, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hey guys , I went with the DeSantis Nemisis . It seems to be the thinnest when my gun was in it . I took my gun and stuck it into a lot of holsters and the Nemesis seemed to work the best , and it was $20 . I liked it too cause it was thin yet wide . I like it wide cause it filled the rest of the width in my pocket which causes the gun to not rock forward or backwards like the Uncle mikes did . The uncle mikes was good but too thick and too thin(like top to bottom) . When in the pocket it would fall forward then backwards .

I use two -- Mika Round Cut and a Nemesis. Both work well--the holster of the day depends on the shape of the pocket in the pants I'm wearing. I also find the Nemesis rides a touch lower.

Cheers!

duns
November 28, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hey guys , I went with the DeSantis Nemisis . It seems to be the thinnest when my gun was in it
I like it wide cause it filled the rest of the width in my pocket which causes the gun to not rock forward or backwards like the Uncle mikes did .
+1 on the DeSantis Nemesis. It prevents rocking of the gun/holster combo in all my pants, including dress pants, jeans, and shorts.

julianamj7
January 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have the S&W Model 442 Hammerless. I had a custom in the pocket holster made by Mika.....akim@frontiernet.net.
For about $30.00.

bikemobile
December 1, 2011, 10:06 AM
I like the cheap uncle mikes iwb for my 442. It covers the trigger and has velcro retention on top. Its all black and if you have to move it from your car concealment to a pocket it stays stealth.

OldCavSoldier
December 1, 2011, 11:43 AM
I carry a 642 with crimson trace grips in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. Left front pocket as I am a southpaw. It is pretty comfortable. You don't forget it's there but it doesn't weigh you down either
+1 on the DeSantis Nemesis!! Great holster for pocket carry.

Delta959
December 1, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have a 642 that I pocket carry everyday and I use a Galco PRO158 (Don't have the real name, thats just what it says on the holster).

I honestly have a hard time telling the difference between that and my wallet in my front pocket. It's super comfortable, not noticeable, and pretty inexpensive. Works infinitely better then I could have ever guessed it would've.

saenzrich
December 1, 2011, 08:28 PM
i carry my 442 in a Blackhawk size 3 pocket holster. it is made in the U.S.A. and only cost me about $10

Got the same one....you can draw the weapon and the holster stays in your pocket.

It also covers the trigger all the way....unlike some

ArchAngelCD
December 2, 2011, 02:26 AM
I pocket carry a M442 every day and before that I was carrying a M642 or M638.

sc1911cwp
December 2, 2011, 05:54 PM
Good info. I picked up a 442 the other day and went to the range this afternoon. Of course it was in the pocket commando style. Yeah, I need a holster also. BTW, it was great at the range as I looked into the brass bucket and managed to score over a hundred 38 cases!

marcclarke
January 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
I can't help chuckling as I, too, type a reply with a 638 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster in my sweat pants' pocket. :evil:

DAdams
January 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
To get it right I found I really did need two holsters, one round one square for pocket carry.

YMMV. Luckily they are inexpensive. I tried the DeSantis first and it works ok for square cut applications. Then I bought a Mika Roundcut to cover that other base. I actually like the Mika better but both suffice in their respective roles.

An upside benefit. The DeSantis Nemesis for a J Frame will accomodate a Kahr PM9 rather well.

Ralph G. Briscoe
January 19, 2012, 11:30 PM
I carry a 642 in a Milt Sparks pocket holster--works well.

Derry 1946
January 20, 2012, 12:04 AM
I did this until I switched to DS -- more weight, but 1 extra shot.

blackcloud45
January 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
I use a Safariland for mine. Good holster!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
January 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Robert Mika Pocket Holster.
He is honest, he is not fast, but you will eventually get your holster at an extremely reasonable rate and the holster will work for you first time, every time.

I had tried an Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster and each time I pulled the gun from my pocket, the holster came out with it. Real cute, go to fire with a holster still on the gun.:cuss::confused::)

Dogbite
January 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
I carried a SW 638 for several years in the right front pocket with a Uncle Mikes number 3 size pocket holster. Worked great. It was a comfort in some very sticky situations while I carried it. A J-frame is one of the best pocket guns. I also love the Ruger LCR.

Water-Man
January 21, 2012, 01:17 AM
Mika's Pocket Holster - round cut

skt239
January 21, 2012, 01:24 AM
I have a few different holster that I like to use with my 637...

This one is probably my favorite, a no name eBay holster, works great.

http://img.tapatalk.com/42575423-5829-98c1.jpg

I also like to use a Desantis Nemesis sometimes but mainly for coat pocket carry. It can be a bit bulky in my jeans and khakis

http://img.tapatalk.com/42575423-5874-bea7.jpg

Then there is the Mika pocket holster. The tacky material has worn down and it's time I got another to replace it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/42575423-5926-c0f3.jpg

On occasion I'll use this Fobus paddle holster my little bro bought me a few months ago. It does not conceal very well and it's pretty much been regulated to range duty.

http://img.tapatalk.com/42575423-59d4-0072.jpg

I'd like to get a nice pancake style holster as I really prefer OWB carry.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
January 21, 2012, 05:06 AM
I got both the round-cut Mika holster and square-cut and, depending on pant pocket, use either one.

I also took some of my pants where the pocket was a bit large and used my wife's sewing machine to sew some rows of stitching after carefully marking with a ball point pen, the material of the inner pocket (pants off, of course). Where there was a wide enough gap leftover, I just sewed back and forth to create a strong separation and then sewed up in a semi-circle to the rearward connection of the (right) pocket at the top to keep lint and other things out of the narrow space created behind the Mika Holster.

That has worked extremely well at keeping the holster in perfect alignment in my pant pocket. It has also helped with retaining the holster inside the pocket, not that the holster ever came out, because it didn't. I could do cartwheels and handstands now (if my back were better) with large pockets and the gun and the holster are there to stay in my pants that have large, LOOSE, pockets in the front.

rayban
January 21, 2012, 05:55 AM
Thank you for the invitation to show mine off again....it's horsehide, thin but very strong....

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/RGleather/misc252.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 442 pocket carry ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!