Anyone have a Rock Island Armory Compact?

PDA

RonGoode
December 21, 2003, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking of getting one and I'm curious how good they are? Any and all information is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a Rock Island Armory Compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flashpoint
December 22, 2003, 12:28 AM
What's this, I thought you where looking at the Sig p239 or the p232. Quit a jump from those two to a RIA :D . From what I have gathered RIA make some decent stuff for the money. I played with a full size model in .38 Super, it seemed pretty solid, but a hair trigger it had not.

RonGoode
December 22, 2003, 12:52 AM
I'm looking for a better carry gun. I have a RIA Gov't model and it's a good gun and I like .45 acp so I was investigating this option too :D

Bren
December 22, 2003, 01:36 AM
Are you sure you don't mean R ock R iver A rms ? :evil:

Now they "ROCK". :p

W Turner
December 22, 2003, 11:42 AM
I bought one in February of this year and have put around 700 or so rounds thru it since then, mostly in IDPA matches. Zero malfunctions of any kind and I have been getting 3-4" groups when I do my part.

Here are the mods I have made:
- trigger job by a local gunsmith ($25)
- installed Trijicon front night sight and colt take-off rear ($25)
- coca bolo grips (SA take-offs) and grip tape on the frontstrap
- replaced the factory grip safety with a Colt take-off due to hammer bite

My gunsmith was very impressed with the quality/price point ratio. No MIM parts and he said the only difference in these and Colt/SA/Kimber was the slide and frame are cast, not forged. The fit on the trigger was a little sloppy, but it is serviceable.

I have a grand total of $435 in mine and feel that it is a great value, especially for someone who wants to get into the 1911 game without laying out a whole lot of money. The mods that I have made have been for personal preference only, not out of a real need. Future mods include a beavertail to actually cure the hammer bit problem, and a King's extra long trigger to make it fit my hand better.

Mino

Longbow
December 23, 2003, 01:37 PM
go here www.1911forum.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a Rock Island Armory Compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!