444 Marlin, Black Powder loads?

PDA

GeoffC
November 25, 2010, 07:24 PM
I've got an old straight stocked, long barreled, safetyless Marlin 444. Has anyone ever loaded these down with black powder?

It does have a micro groove barrel, I'm not sure what that would do...

If you enjoyed reading about "444 Marlin, Black Powder loads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
November 25, 2010, 07:49 PM
It would get stuffed up with BP residue.
I have no idea how this would effect accuracy (the BP not the clogged rifling {that would deteriorate accuracy}) but I really don't know why you'd want to do this????

the Black Spot
November 26, 2010, 12:13 AM
i tried it in mine. it was not accurate at all.

GeoffC
November 26, 2010, 01:40 AM
bummer

everyones from Ar on here..

StrawHat
November 26, 2010, 06:48 AM
Perhaps some info can be found here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Many of the fellows use the Marlin 1895 but I would think you could use the information as a starting point.

Foto Joe
November 26, 2010, 10:21 AM
Do it!!

Yes the "Micro Groove" rifling will not tolerate a lot of crud but boy they are fun too shoot!!

I just re-discovered my 1894 Marlin 44 Mag/Spc with Black Powder. Shooting 44 Special with 26gr 3f Swiss is a hoot!! As far as accuracy is concerned: I fired 35 Black Powder cartridges out of mine at a 25 yard 4" Clanger. She painted that 4" Clanger with all shots in a 20 mph wind no problem. I would have moved the target back but laziness kept me from walking it another ten yards or so in the cold and wind.

I would suggest though that you pull the action down and clean all the smokeless residue from it BEFORE shooting Black Powder through it.

I think Tommygunn might be missing the point of shooting Black Powder out of this gun, it's not always about painting that 1" group at 50 yards for all of us. Sometimes it's just finding out that there are a lot of guns out there that will eat Black Powder that most folks don't consider.

Load 'er up and go have fun. Don't forget to post pics and your opinion of the results.

He who refuses to embrace a unique opportunity loses the "prize"...... As surely as if he had failed.....

Tommygunn
November 26, 2010, 07:40 PM
I think Tommygunn might be missing the point of shooting Black Powder out of this gun, it's not always about painting that 1" group at 50 yards for all of us. Sometimes it's just finding out that there are a lot of guns out there that will eat Black Powder that most folks don't consider.
If'n ya wanna do it, do it!:D
I have a Uberti 1873 in .44-40 I occasionally stuff with BP loads.
Of course .44-40 was originally a BP caliber.
My Browning B-92 takes .44 Magnum and that stays modern propellant.
I know some people don't always need great accuracy. But if the rifle wasn't intended for ....

....oh never mind. Just have fun!!!:)

GeoffC
November 28, 2010, 12:43 AM
is there any other bullet that you can shoot out of a 444 or is it just 444s?

It'd be nice if someone made some kind of a sleave that would let it take 44-40s, or something...

arcticap
November 28, 2010, 12:57 AM
Ask the experts below that make custom chamber adaptors & inserts:

http://www.mcace.com/

StrawHat
November 28, 2010, 07:54 AM
GeoffC ...is there any other bullet that you can shoot out of a 444 or is it just 444s?...

From your next line about the 44 WCF I do not know. But if you mean bullets, Any bullet usable in the 44 Magnum can be used in the 444. This icludes cast bullets and can be found in a variety of bullet weights from about 120 grains (round ball) to over 300 grains. I do know the Ranch Dogs molds are made specifically for the Marlin bore so that may be a place to start.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/

Pulp
November 28, 2010, 01:23 PM
I never knew the .444 took smaller bullets than the name would suggest, so I did a quick google and came with with this article:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/19

Some good info for those interested in the caliber.

If you enjoyed reading about "444 Marlin, Black Powder loads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!