Went hunting on Thanksgiving and struck paydirt

PDA

FROGO207
November 26, 2010, 07:42 AM
I went hunting in a new area for a change and really made out.:D Walked in on a trail, followed a steam for an hour or so and then reversed my path using a compass to return to the dirt road where I started by lunchtime. I hit the road 1 1/4 mile from my jeep and had to walk back to it. On the way back I found a gravel pit and had to explore it. There must have been a platoon training exercise there the day before. :what: I went back to the jeep and drove it back there. I had found a reloaders dream--filled the back seat floors with used brass and shotshell hulls fit to reload.:D 2 five gallon buckets full of clean assorted hulls and 51 pounds of reloadable brass in many flavors. I now have enough 40 S&W brass that I need to buy a pistol. Not to mention finding a 300 YD pit to shoot in. No deer seen after the big meal but it might have been due to that afternoon nap.:cool: Back at it this afternoon--wish me luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went hunting on Thanksgiving and struck paydirt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
E304life
November 26, 2010, 08:13 AM
That sounds awesome. Watch out for that platoon.

danez71
November 26, 2010, 09:46 AM
And as an added bonus, youre cleaning up the area too.

Not meaning to sound too tree-hugger-esque, but I hate seeing a bunch of human left overs out in the wild.

InkEd
November 26, 2010, 09:50 AM
Very cool. I would check back there periodically, it could turn out to be a good source for brass.

Grizfire
November 26, 2010, 01:02 PM
Nice score!

jimmyraythomason
November 26, 2010, 01:32 PM
Was this on public land or privately owned land?

Justin Holder
November 26, 2010, 09:33 PM
Sounds like it was a real mess when you found it.

Sock Puppet
November 27, 2010, 11:18 AM
Good for you all the way around!

Owen Sparks
November 27, 2010, 11:24 AM
I wonder if deer are in the habit of avoiding the area because of all the noise from shooting that goes on there.

Keb
November 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
Deer walk across our Western Colorado range while we shoot.....so I don't think it bothers them.

BP Hunter
November 27, 2010, 12:08 PM
Boy, that sounded like alot of fun. Ohhhhh, I miss the woods!:(

potmetal
November 27, 2010, 08:03 PM
I sometimes shoot at an outdoor range that is used for training by some small town police dept's. After they have been there you can find brass all over the place. I picked up enough .223 brass one time to trade it at a gun shop that buys brass for a box of 9mm ammo, and a Coke.
Oh, and animals get used to the gun fire. That same range has squirrels that will run around while you're shooting. It's actually a little distracting to be shooting at a target set at 15yds. and see something moving down range at about 75 yards. I'm not sure if the squirrels are brave, or they just think I'm such a bad shot I couldn't hit them anyway.

rozziboy18
November 27, 2010, 08:33 PM
have you ever sent a hot one there way? we have the same deal over here at gbsp squirrels and turkeys galor! as ethical a hunter as i am,

i have surcome to temtation and tested a 175 smk on a furry little woodland creature! not one of my finner moments.

rfwobbly
November 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
That's what happen when people exercise their right to arm bears. Bears don't have the opposable thumb, so they can't pick up their own brass. They just leave it laying everywhere after they shoot. They really are a bunch of slobs. IMHO they should ban bears from the National Forests.

:D

FROGO207
November 27, 2010, 10:52 PM
BTW this was on land owned by a local timber harvesting CORP. They allow the public access but will go after those that litter.:banghead: Hope I helped to keep the locals in their good graces for a while longer.:D

jimmyraythomason
November 28, 2010, 07:06 AM
BTW this was on land owned by a local timber harvesting CORP. They allow the public access but will go after those that litter. Hope I helped to keep the locals in their good graces for a while longer. Good. The original post left it open to speculation.

Mp7
November 28, 2010, 07:13 AM
good on ya for picking up the "trash".

FLNT4EVR
November 28, 2010, 09:39 AM
At $1.70 a pound for scrap brass, I would have picked up all of it. You could use the money to buy powder and primers to load the good stuff with.

FROGO207
November 29, 2010, 07:18 AM
Not much scrap in the lot unless you count the washed steel stuff. I got a lot of stuff I do not load so I cleaned it up and went to my LGS and did indeed trade it for a bunch of primers and projectiles for my reloadin fun this winter.:D

Forfend
November 29, 2010, 07:23 AM
Awesome find, makes me wonder why they left it such a mess. Usually military used ranges are the cleanest I've ever been to.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went hunting on Thanksgiving and struck paydirt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!