Magpul MOE or Quad Rails?

PDA

M&PVolk
November 26, 2010, 05:40 PM
With a midlength gas system, which would you prefer, and why? The Magpul MOE weighs in at a touch under 9 oz's, and the DD rails seem to come in at 11 oz's plus.

If you have pics, post 'em up with your opinions!

If you enjoyed reading about "Magpul MOE or Quad Rails?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carter
November 26, 2010, 06:04 PM
I've never used the MOE, but it seems to be popular. A lot cheaper too.

If you're just wanting to add a grip or something I'd pick the cheaper option. If you're gonna barbie out your rifle with accessories then I'd pick the rails.

Zerodefect
November 26, 2010, 06:27 PM
12" DD RIS or Larue rails would be my choice.

briansmithwins
November 26, 2010, 06:31 PM
For price and weight reasons I'd go with Magpul if I was doing a light and maybe a VFG.

If you want to hand 12lbs of crap off you rifle you're looking at a quad rail.

BSW

Gary G23
November 26, 2010, 06:35 PM
I prefer the MOE. I've owned quite a few mid-lengths with and without quad rails. The extra weight of the quad rail really changes the way the gun handles IMO.

The MOE is much cheaper and still lets you mount a VFG and a light.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/GaryXD/dcp_2791.jpg

avs11054
November 26, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've got the moe on mine. You can put as many or as few rails on it once you get it. And it's way cheaper.

C-Fish
November 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
Don't forget that the MOE needs the barrel nut and delta ring which add ~two oz to the overall weight.

Redlg155
November 26, 2010, 08:39 PM
The moe is a great handguard. I am extremely pleased with the one on my bushmaster and perfect for a QCB weapon. The best part is that you don't have excess rails or rail sections to make the rifle uncomfortable or to heat up during longer strings of fire.

gf1723
November 26, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm starting to wish I actually got a rifle with a normal handgaurd than the quad rail. I kind of want to take the quad rail off and install the Magpul MOE handguard because of the added weight. As of right now I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it. I would have to take it to a local gun store and have them do it, which I really don't want to do.

Z-Michigan
November 26, 2010, 09:27 PM
I've used the MOE handguards on an M4gery and I hate them, with a passion. Loose and rattle like crazy. Putting any sort of grip on them is an exercise in futility. Maybe I just got an undersized set, but my set is awful.

A DD or Larue quadrail is barely heavier than a same-length plastic handguard and is in a whole new category for solidness and flexibility, not to mention it also free floats the barrel. But of course the cost is roughly 10x the cost of MOE handguards.

My 2 cents - the better quality conventional handguards, Cavalry Arms in particular, fit solid, don't weigh too much and work fine. You can still put a rail on the bottom if you want to, about as easily as with the MOE. Just no option for upper side rails. If you need side rails, you need a quadrail. If you just want one side rail for a light, there are other types of light mounts that are much cheaper and lighter than a full quadrail setup.

DBR
November 26, 2010, 10:39 PM
+1 on the Cavalry Arms conventional hand guards if that is what you want.

I just replaced two sets with the MOE hand guards on my midlengths. If the MOEs are loose it is a problem with the fit of the front retainer or the distance between the delta ring and the retainer. Mine while not as tight as a free float rail system are more than adequate unless I wanted to mount a laser.

On my guns they are about as tight as the Cavalry Arms they replaced.

Mot45acp
November 26, 2010, 10:40 PM
I went with MOE for those I do not plan to free float....My AR-10 will get em when rifle length are released. Here is my lightweight middy. Note no rail to mount the grip, gives it a nice feel on my hand.

Z-Michigan
November 26, 2010, 10:46 PM
If the MOEs are loose it is a problem with the fit of the front retainer or the distance between the delta ring and the retainer.

Maybe, but the same MOE handguards fit equally loose on a Bushmaster and DSA, each of which had a nice firm fit with their OEM handguards, which were clearly different manufacture from each other.

I've been fairly good at buying new Magpul products early enough to get the ones with a few kinks left (I still have some unreliable Pmags from the early 2007 production lying around) so it may be that my OD MOE was early enough that the sizing was a bit off. Though it seems unlikely that they would have changed the mold early on, given how big a hassle that is.

DBR
November 26, 2010, 11:09 PM
I hear you, I can only relate my own limited experience. I just got my midlength MOE hand guards a couple of weeks ago from Brownells so I assume they are fairly recent production. They were actually fairly tight going into the delta ring - very much like the Cavalry arms units. For my use they are very good. I have a light rail on the right and a rail on the bottom for a bipod.

Send your early Pmags back. They will gladly replace them. If you call them they will probably send you new ones with a return shipping label for the old ones. IME Magpul's CS is among the best.

Mot45acp
November 27, 2010, 12:40 AM
I ordered two sets of middy MOEs. One for my middy AR-15 and one for my friends Armalite AR-10 carbine. Both were too big for the AR-10 so we chose the ones that fit best on my BCM middy. The other set was about .070" to long for the Armalite. After about 30 minutes of shave a lil then try and fit, rinse and repeat until I got the desired fit.

Both lock up tight with no wobble. I like the fact that I can put a VFG without a rail, as I use the VFG more as an indexing point instead of a grip. I like that there are no rails to act as cheese craters coming out from the base of the grip. Then I add a Midwest Industries QD rail mounted sling mount and Larue offset Surefire mount at 10 o'clock. Everything feels solid enough, but I haven't run through its paces yet. I prolly wouldn't use the polymer rails to mount any serious aiming devices off it.

Mot45acp
November 27, 2010, 12:45 AM
But my greatest feat was making the above two posts,with the pics (and this one I might add) from my blackberry. Now where the heck is my "take a bow" smiley?

Tirod
November 27, 2010, 09:35 AM
Quad rails are expensive. They then add the weight of ladder covers, or the user has to wear gloves most of the time, as the rail is cut pretty sharply with no easing on the edges. Mounting a light can put the lens behind or even with the sight, which shadows it. That's why the sight mounts for a light remain on the market, putting it as far forward as possible also helps with the switch. There are also light and lazer vertical front grips that unitize two different parts, making the underrail all that is needed.

Quad rails are an institutional compromise, too many DOD users had to have some unique bit of stuff mounted where no one else would, due to the variety of gear and tactics. For the government, a quad rail solved all those competing uses. On YOUR gun, it's questionable. Unless you are an entry team member with a lot of gear clamped on, a quad rail is more of a wannabe item. You can do just as well with any of a half dozen free float tubes, and bolt a rail piece on just where you need it. The effective result is a lighter, simpler gun.

Declarations of improved accuracy are basically a false argument as most M4geries and definitely the issue guns are all 2MOA, which is all that is needed. A 1/2MOA tactical gun is a nice spiff, but the additional expense to gain the accuracy could have been put into an optic and the end result would be a better gun.

Z-Michigan
November 27, 2010, 04:10 PM
Interesting MOE comments. I may have to see if Magpul will exchange mine, and see if a new one fits better. As I said, the one I have is so loose I hate using it, and the same guns hold standard handguards tightly.

Unless you are an entry team member with a lot of gear clamped on, a quad rail is more of a wannabe item. You can do just as well with any of a half dozen free float tubes, and bolt a rail piece on just where you need it. The effective result is a lighter, simpler gun.

Except if you spec out some of those rails, they really aren't lighter than a standard quadrail. For instance, the VTAC smooth handguard and the YHM customizable are heavier than a DD Lite rail of the same length. Only the TRX "Extreme" and Midwest SS are significantly lighter, and both of them lose that benefit quickly if you need more than a tiny bit of add-on rail sections. And those add-on sections can potentially come loose.

The comment about needing rail covers or gloves is a valid complaint.

Declarations of improved accuracy are basically a false argument as most M4geries and definitely the issue guns are all 2MOA, which is all that is needed. A 1/2MOA tactical gun is a nice spiff, but the additional expense to gain the accuracy could have been put into an optic and the end result would be a better gun.

Very conclusory. Any shooter would benefit from a "free" 1/2 MOA improvement in accuracy, whatever they are doing. It may not be important, but it's never harmful in rifle land. (Dedicated machineguns that are intended to pattern, maybe.) And if you go back to your prior comment about smooth FF handguards, many of those don't cost all that much, certainly less than any quality optic - in fact often less than just a mount for a quality optic, considering that good Aimpoint mounts are $100+ and really good scope mounts are $150+.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magpul MOE or Quad Rails?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!