Colt Cobra At The Range

PDA

doc540
November 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
No targets to show, but I gotta tell ya...a Colt D frame is a great close-range, self defense weapon.

At 21 feet and closer, it was putting all of them where they needed to go. That's a real confidence booster.

And it ran like a little Swiss watch!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Cobra%202/DSCN0954-1.jpg

Took a while to find my ideal concealed carry gun...and this be it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Cobra At The Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LRS_Ranger
November 26, 2010, 08:08 PM
Nice lookin' blaster!

Guillermo
November 26, 2010, 09:13 PM
beautiful gun

Deltaboy
November 26, 2010, 10:08 PM
Very nice looking Colt!

retfed
November 26, 2010, 10:14 PM
OP:
I have an OLD (around '56 vintage) Det Sp that was ankle carried by a NYPD cop for 25 yrs. So it's worn and just a shooter. The tiny grips are causing me to lose control when firing.

Whose grips are those great looking ones in your orig post?

THX
RetFed

Old Fuff
November 26, 2010, 10:58 PM
Twenty one feet.... Let me see, that comes out to... seven yards. ;)

Yup, you're right - at twenty one feet it will indeed do right well, but in the hands of a capable shooter it will also keep all of its shots inside of the K-zone on a B27 silhouette target out to 100 yards, which is I believe is... 300 feet. :what:

Too many folks underestimate what these little snubbies can do, and sometimes handicap themselves by using loads that are hot enough to be counterproductive in the sense that the gun becomes too hard to control as it recoils.

But anyway, you've made an excellent choice, and I highly doubt that the Cobra well ever let you down. ;)

RSVP2RIP
November 27, 2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/colt/detective.html

Badger is the one you want. I have them on a Second Issue DS and they fit pretty well and feel good, but my gun has the short grip frame. I don't know when they changed the grip, but I defer to someone with more knowledge on the subject.

savit260
November 27, 2010, 03:04 PM
I don't know when they changed the grip

I believe it was 1966 when the grip changed.

scottishclaymore
November 27, 2010, 03:26 PM
Interesting. I recently looked at a Cobra as my next carry gun purchase option. The one I looked at was under $400 and had pretty crappy finish, which made me a little wary. Any thoughts?

Old Fuff
November 27, 2010, 07:05 PM
A perfect finish has nothing to do with the way a gun shoots, and many Cobra's were carried much and shot little. Since cosmetics has a lot to do with buyer perspectives I sometimes delight in finding a gun that's in sound mechanical condition with a clean bore and chambers - but worn finish. When you use/carry a gun the finish won't get any better regardless of what it was when you started.

That said, do make sure the timing is right, and there is no spring or movement in the crane when the cylinder is latched. Since experienced/qualified Colt-savy gunsmiths are hard to find, and often expensive when you do, be sure to discount the cost of any work that might have to be done.

I wouldn't value a Cobra in the condition you describe at over $300, and perhaps less. Guns that look worn out, even't if they aren't, do not generally sell for top dollar.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Cobra At The Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!