.22 LR ammo question

PDA

danprkr
November 27, 2010, 09:08 AM
Who makes the best value in a good all around 22 LR?

Opinions please. I usually buy the Remington cheapo, but have now acquired a couple of guns that hate it. I like the guns so I'm shopping for better ammo.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
November 27, 2010, 09:10 AM
I've had much better results from the Federal bulk pack at Walmart than with the Remington offering, to the point I won't buy the Remington any more.

22-rimfire
November 27, 2010, 09:34 AM
I prefer the Federal Lightning (Load #510) that are sold in 50-ct boxes at Walmart and various stores. They used to be called Champions in the blue toned boxes. But I buy Remington golden bullets and thunderbolts too. I seldom shoot bulk pack ammo except to plink.

ScratchnDent
November 27, 2010, 10:53 AM
I, too, like the Federal bulk pack stuff. Next step up is the Federal Auto-Match in the 325 rnd boxes. CCI Mini-Mags are my go-to ammo, if the gun is really picky, but it costs a little more than I like to spend for plinking ammo.

CraigC
November 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
For what purposes? If just plinking and casual target shooting Federal bulk is excellent. For small game hunting it leaves a lot to be desired.

Fumbler
November 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
Federal bulk is good. Federal auto match is a little bit more consistent and seems a little cleaner.

I like Winchester Dynapoints. They are a tiny bit more consistent than Federal but cost more.

The most consistent, reliable, and decently priced out of my guns is CCI standard velocity.

XxWINxX94
November 27, 2010, 11:47 AM
+1 Federal Lightning Bricks

mboylan
November 27, 2010, 01:16 PM
+1 on CCI Standard. Only $25/brick. Really good value for the money. It's as reliable and more accurate than mini-mags and at a lower price.

Furncliff
November 27, 2010, 01:23 PM
I shoot a lot of rimfire. At anyone time I'll have at least 6 different kinds of .22LR on hand. If someone said you can only have one for all the guns it would probably be one of the Federal made. That includes CCI and American Eagle. Get a variety of the Federal ammo and test them out.

rromeo
November 27, 2010, 01:55 PM
I've had much better results from the Federal bulk pack at Walmart than with the Remington offering, to the point I won't buy the Remington any more. Unfortunately last year when 22 was still scarce, I bought 2 bulk boxes of Rem Golden Bullet when that's all Wally had in stock. In my Marlin 795, I couldn't empty a magazine without having a misfire. Out of 1,100 rounds, I still have over 1,000.
The next time I went in they had a ton of Federal Automatch, so I stocked up on it. It's about 1/2 cent per round more, but I'm not worried too much.

TH3180
November 27, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have a few that I like. In this order: CCI SV, Blazers and Federal Auto Match. I shoot Blazers the most because I can get a Brick of 500 from Fleet Farm for $16. I may have more Auto Match on hand if I could get it some where besides W/M. I hate waiting for someone to unlock the case and then have them walk with me to my car. I go to Fleet Farm and grab what I want off the shelf, pay for it and leave. The other nice thing about Fleet Farm, there is no limit. I walked out of Fleet Farm one time with 20 bricks of Blazers.

DoubleTapDrew
November 27, 2010, 02:11 PM
It depends on what your guns like really. Buy 50rd boxes of several different kinds and check for yourself. 22lr are funny like that, two guns of the same make and model may prefer different ammo.
I like CCI subsonic and CCI mini-mags. They are more expensive than the other bulk stuff but much more accurate in my 10-22 and always go bang (well, the subsonic goes "chuff"). Besides, you are still saving a lot of money over shooting centerfire.

wally
November 27, 2010, 02:49 PM
I may have more Auto Match on hand if I could get it some where besides W/M. I hate waiting for someone to unlock the case and then have them walk with me to my car.

That seems a bit over the top. Must vary by store or region. It is annoying to wait for someone to find the key and open the case, but at our Walmart you pay for the ammo right there and are on your way (if all you are buying is ammo or have done all your other shopping first).

Wedge
November 27, 2010, 02:51 PM
CCI Mini-mag and Federal Bulk Packs are my preferred ammo. Federal Automatch next, Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack near the bottom.

kva47
November 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
Sounds like I'm the only one who's had nothing but problems with Federal. Really, it has problems feeding, igniting, and ejecting in every one of my semi autos. Golden bullet is the only bulk pack my walmart carries that works consistently for my guns. Maybe you just need to experiment a little?

Average Joe
November 27, 2010, 03:12 PM
Federal bulk, Winchester, Remington Golden bullets, anything but Thunderbolts.

TH3180
November 27, 2010, 03:13 PM
Sounds like I'm the only one who's had nothing but problems with Federal. Really, it has problems feeding, igniting, and ejecting in every one of my semi autos. Golden bullet is the only bulk pack my walmart carries that works consistently for my guns. Maybe you just need to experiment a little?
What kinds of guns are you shooting?

bhk
November 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
CCIs, in various flavors, are almost always my 'go to' shells.

hotajax
November 27, 2010, 03:53 PM
CCI Mini-Mags for a 150-yard shot.

TraditionalCatholic
November 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have had good luck with the Winchester 333 round bulk packs from Wa-Mart. Where I live, they cost me $11.47, so the price is fairly competitive with other brands. I've had trouble with Remington .22lr as well.

Justin Holder
November 27, 2010, 04:46 PM
Federal and Winchester for general use here, and CCI and Winchester PP for special occasions.

Will never buy Remington ammo, EVER!

medalguy
November 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
I like the Federal and Winchester bulk packs. I don't buy Remington any more because I like my ammo to go "boom" when I pull the trigger.

If I'm doing anything more than shooting tin cans I like CCI.

LibShooter
November 27, 2010, 07:57 PM
.22 autos are finicky... especially with the cheap stuff. I have one that likes Remington Golden Bullets and hates Federal bulk. Another that's just the opposite. A neighbor's pistol even thrives on Winchester Super-X! My advice is to keep trying until you find one your gun likes.

However, I've never met a .22 that doesn't like CCI Mini-Mags. They're more expensive but they come in those cool plastic boxes.

smallbore
November 27, 2010, 08:41 PM
For 'plinking' I use CCI Standard, Winchester T22 and Federal Auto Match, which I get at either Wal-Mart or the local gun shops. For everything else it's various varieties of CCI.

Pacsd
November 27, 2010, 09:04 PM
The summer of pre-Obama I saw the writing on the wall. I bought 10,000 round of .22 ammo. My 10-.22's & Marlin 60 always have like the American Eagle 38 grain(400 pack) and the Federal 36 grain, 525 grain. This is when I bought several 25 rd clips for the 10-.22's, a whole lot of powders, a few bricks of primers and lots of bullets for reloading. Sure 'nuff components got scarce and prices went sky high. I may have spent a couple 100 bucks but, I sure saved a bundle over the long run.

Gunner4h1r3
November 27, 2010, 09:57 PM
I have had pretty good experiences with Remington Thunderbolt Bulk packs, Blazer bulk and 50 rnd boxes, Remington Golden Bullets, and CCI's. All have ran well with very few misfires out of my Walther P22 and Marlin 100G. I have had a lot of issues with Aguila 38 gr subsonic hollowpoints out of my Walther mainly failures to feed and eject. I was using the 5-inch barrel at the time so I may try it with the 3 1/4 inch barrel to see if functioning improves. All the above mentioned ammo besides the Aguila has also ran extremely ran well out of my .22 conversion for my AR.

Kentucky_Rifleman
November 28, 2010, 12:22 AM
I picked up a brick of Peters' .22 at Sportsman's Warehouse a month back, and it has become my favorite ammo. Remington produces it, but it's much better quality than the bulk Golden Bullet .22, and my autos love it. It gives me excellent groups and reliability out of my Ruger .22 convertible, my Browning Buckmark pistol, my Ruger Mk 1 and Mk 2, my TC Classic autorifle, My 10/22, and all three of my bolt-action Remingtons.

Plus, it has this really cool retro art on the box (Brown monochrome printing with a flying quail) and is cheap at 19.99 a brick of 500.

KR

levsmith
November 28, 2010, 12:55 AM
Like some of the other people here, I bought ammo anytime i could when it was scarce. Well my local walmart had just got some remington golden bullets in when I was there once and there was no limit, so I bought all six boxes cause I didn't know when I would see some again. Now I'm stuck with 3000 rounds of it and my 10-22 doesn't really like it and my dads marlin model 60 REALLY hates it. I'll use it up eventually but I wont buy it again. I'll be trying some more federal in my 10-22 because it seems to like it and I think I'll have to go up to the CCI's in the model 60 cause its just stubborn and picky

MikePaiN
November 28, 2010, 07:38 AM
I love CCI Blazer (non-bulk)...its $20/500 around here, I have yet to find a firearm that won't run the stuff, it is also clean and accurate.

Chuck Dye
November 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
For plinking, I buy whatever is cheap except Remington. My Ruger MkII fouls to the point of malfunction very rapidly with the bulk Remington.

For hunting, I really liked Eley Rabbit HV, now discontinued and drawing an even greater premium than ever.

The best answer is your own experimentation. Note that the really serious competitors test down to the lot number, not just catalog number, then buy in huge quantities.

TH3180
November 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
Here is 10 shots of CCI SV at 21 feet from a sand bag rest. I really like CCI SV for target shooting. It is a .267" group.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/TH3180/Guns%20and%20Fun/11-4-10--3.jpg

22-rimfire
November 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Great little group, especially with 10 shots from a handgun. CCI Standard Velocity is pretty good ammo. I shoot it too. Dicks Sporting Goods selling it for $25/brick has definitely been a success for both CCI and Dicks. We're moving into the winter shooting season when I usually shoot a lot less and my ammo cache increases. My ammo supply definitely goes through a recharge period after the leaves drop just like the groundwater table.

Most folks look for 22 ammo that sells for under $25/brick with current pricing. On a volume basis, clearly the less expensive stuff is shot more and the trick is to find the ammo that shoots good enough for your purpose and is cheap. Right now, that ammo is Federal Lightning (#510B) and CCI Blazers.

TH3180
November 28, 2010, 11:07 AM
Another tip is to weigh out your .22lr ammo. I use my reloading scale and weigh it out to 1/100th of a grain and match it up. I use my old CCI plastic 100 count boxes. I can shoot 100 blazers as good as 100 CCI SV when they are weighed out. I have found the more expensive the ammo is, the closer the weights are from the factory.
I got the idea for doing this from another forum and it has improved my shooting. I really enjoy anything that has to do with the sport of shooting so I like sitting in the basement for a few hours moving .22lr bullets around. My ten shot group above was shot with weighed out ammo. I also shot a 10 shot and a 5 shot groups that day that were both under .5" groups.

bannockburn
November 28, 2010, 11:13 AM
I would go with Federal and Winchester bulk packs; never any problems and fairly consistent performance accuracy wise. If I were to move up in price, then CCI MiniMags and Wolf Target Match would be my preferred choice.

Bonesinium
November 28, 2010, 11:34 AM
Everyone is hating on Remington here, but I have yet to see it. I've shot over 1500 rounds of Remington Golden bulk packs, and had only maybe a handful of failures. That is a pretty good success rate for anything, and this is a .22 we are talking about. And it isn't like this stuff is expensive either...

wally
November 28, 2010, 11:52 AM
I've shot over 1500 rounds of Remington Golden bulk packs, and had only maybe a handful of failures.

I'm curious as to when you bought what you've shot. Five years ago there was not a lot to choose from between the Remington and Federal bulk packs at Walmart, I'd buy what was cheapest or in stock, getting the Federal in case of tie as I preferred the plated bullet.

But about three years ago the Remington just started getting worse and worse, The great Obama ammo shortage didn't help :(

kva47
November 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
Golden bullet's fine in my 10/22, p22, and old winchester pump action

MikeNice
November 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
I shoot pretty much any .22lr that CCI makes. In my Ruger 10/22 it is the most consistent. I almost always have trouble with Remmington ammo. It either fails to feed properly or fails to fire about 4 or 5 times in each 30 round clip.

Federal is pretty good. I haven't used it a lot. I have noticed a lot more lead in the barrel when using their uncoated bullets.

The lead and cases do seem to oxidize faster than CCI. I had a box of 50 I left sitting in the closet for about a year. I came back and the ammo looked really old. Most of the ammo was bad enough that I was uncomfortable with firing it. The box of CCI Green Tag beside it had some lead oxidization, but the cases were fine.

bradystrib
November 28, 2010, 01:30 PM
I was just given 2000 rounds of Remington....bummer.

writerinmo
November 28, 2010, 02:33 PM
Just picked up an Armscor M1600 that says use only high velocity ammo. I went out and bought a mixed bath of stuff, Blazer, Thunderbolt, and had some CCI Stingers left over from years ago and some standard velocity Federal. The only problems I had over 300 rounds of each were with the standard Federals, they would often chamber a round but hadn't cycled the bolt back far enough to cock the firing pin. Other than that all performed great, noticible difference between the rest and the CCI Stingers of course. If I was hunting with it, I would use them, otherwise the rest were fine. I get the Thunderbolts for under 2 bucks a box of 50, local farm and home store has Blazer on sale right now for $1.69 so I will go grab ten or twenty boxes of them here soon.

wally
November 28, 2010, 04:35 PM
Golden bullet's fine in my 10/22, p22, and old winchester pump action

Make sure you are not confusing Remington Golden Bullet (typically ~$3/50) with the Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack. Similar name, very different ammo!

My main issues with the Golden bullet bulk pack were high dud rate, 2-3X the Federal bulk pack, loose bullets (you could rotate them in the case) which often caused them to "fold" instead of climbing the feed ramp causing feed failures, and the last straw was I stated getting two or three blown cases in each pack -- where the rim blew open 1/8-1/4" and shot hot gas and fragments out the side!

I get the Thunderbolts for under 2 bucks a box of 50
I used to really like Thunderbolts too, but again about three or four years ago they changed from a "waxy" lube to a dry shinny polymer lube and I've had terrible leading issues with it in all my pistols since. I got stuck with a bunch of it as Academy was selling it for $9/500 during the transition. Eventually shot it up by mixing in 50 rounds of it with 150-200 rounds of the Federal bulk pack. Until the leading fouled the barrels, it was accurate and always reliable, it had been my favorite cheap ammo before the change in bullet lube.

I was just given 2000 rounds of Remington....bummer.
Depends on exactly what ammo it is, other than Golden Bullet bulk pack or Thunderbolt, its likely OK, or if its three or four years old I'd wager its fine.

When .22 ammo costs starts getting close to what I can reload 9mm for, I quickly lose interest in shooting it.

GLOOB
November 28, 2010, 04:51 PM
I've shot over 1500 rounds of Remington Golden bulk packs, and had only maybe a handful of failures. That is a pretty good success rate for anything,
Your standards are really, really low. If I had even one failure in that many rounds of commercial centerfire ammo, I'd take notice. Two failures, and I'd start avoiding that cartridge. My standards for .22LR aren't any different, only I'd probably still buy questionable ammo for plinking, if it was the only thing in stock.

Here's my experience:
Fed Automatch : over 1500 rounds, one dud
Eley Club : 500 rounds, one dud
Fed 550 bulk pack : 1100 rounds, zero failures
Aguila Colibri: 500 rounds, zero failures
Winchester super X: 100 rounds, zero failures
CCI mini mag: 100 rounds, zero failures.
Remington GB bulk pack: 525 rounds, ~35 duds, and some FTF due to underpowered rounds. Hmm. 22LR catridges are small. I guess ~100 of them could be considered a handful? :)

It was probably a bad box. But unless it's the only thing on the shelf, I'll probably stick with the Federal in that price range. Having so many duds ruined the fun of even plinking. My friend and I ended up "disposing" of the majority of the box by loading them up with a speedloader and firing them off as fast as we could pull the trigger (and clear duds), aiming at nothing in particular.

Vern Humphrey
November 28, 2010, 05:15 PM
Will never buy Remington ammo, EVER!
You aren't alone.

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner they stop making that crap, the better.

Bonesinium
November 28, 2010, 05:33 PM
Your standards are really, really low. If I had even one failure in that many rounds of commercial centerfire ammo, I'd take notice. Two failures, and I'd start avoiding that cartridge. My standards for .22LR aren't any different, only I'd probably still buy questionable ammo for plinking, if it was the only thing in stock.

1500 rounds, with say 20 failures, is a success rate of 98.7%. Concidering it is inexpensive rimfire ammunition, at around 3.5 cents a round, used for nothing but plinking and target shooting, I'll take it. And I'm not even sure it is that high. I just shot a box, 525 rounds, and had 2 duds. That is 99.6%. I'm not expecting amazing things, but I wouldn't say my standards are "really, really low". This isn't centerfire ammo at 10-30x the cost.

It certainly isn't my first choice, but until I have some terrible experience I'm not complaining. It is quite dirty though that I can't deny.

GLOOB
November 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
^^ If it's a couple duds per 500ct box, yeah, it's fine for plinking. I probably had a bad box. But it's not like it's any cheaper than the alternatives, where I expect zero duds per box.

If my sample is the norm, I could expect to shoot 40,000 rounds of non GB bullets before I had 20 duds.

viccola8
November 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
I have had a terrible time lately with Winchester and Remington 22lr shells misfiring. I bought Federal Premium shells at Cabela's and have had no problems with them. They are on sale there right now for 15.99 for 525 ct. Cant beat that price anywhere! I think you can get them from their website if you dont live near a Cabela's.:)

22-rimfire
November 28, 2010, 05:50 PM
What are Federal "Premium" that is packed in a 525-ct bulk pack?

viccola8
November 28, 2010, 06:05 PM
I had a terrible experience with Remington 22lr shells. I had a case rupture that ended up buring a hole through my shooting glove.....thank heavens I had it on. Had 42 misfires in a box of 500. Never again! Im using Federal now and no misfires so far. I suggest using the coated shells.

kva47
November 28, 2010, 06:06 PM
Make sure you are not confusing Remington Golden Bullet (typically ~$3/50) with the Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack. Similar name, very different ammo!

My main issues with the Golden bullet bulk pack were high dud rate, 2-3X the Federal bulk pack, loose bullets (you could rotate them in the case) which often caused them to "fold" instead of climbing the feed ramp causing feed failures, and the last straw was I stated getting two or three blown cases in each pack -- where the rim blew open 1/8-1/4" and shot hot gas and fragments out the side!

I used to really like Thunderbolts too, but again about three or four years ago they changed from a "waxy" lube to a dry shinny polymer lube and I've had terrible leading issues with it in all my pistols since. I got stuck with a bunch of it as Academy was selling it for $9/500 during the transition. Eventually shot it up by mixing in 50 rounds of it with 150-200 rounds of the Federal bulk pack. Until the leading fouled the barrels, it was accurate and always reliable, it had been my favorite cheap ammo before the change in bullet lube.

Depends on exactly what ammo it is, other than Golden Bullet bulk pack or Thunderbolt, its likely OK, or if its three or four years old I'd wager its fine.

When .22 ammo costs starts getting close to what I can reload 9mm for, I quickly lose interest in shooting it.
You might have hit on something there. I shoot the bulk pack golden bullet. What's the difference, exactly?

shooter1
November 28, 2010, 06:13 PM
It's no secret that Remington .22 ammo has had a problem with their priming mix for at least the last couple of years. I shoot a couple of rim fire matches a month, (Steel Challenge and NRA falling plates). Among the competitors, are a couple of Remington employees. They refuse to use Remington rim fire ammo due to the misfires common with this ammo. It's impossible to be competitive with such a handicap. Remington furnished ammo for the last Steel Challenge at a local club as a trial for their "Fix" of the misfire problem. I did not attend, so have not heard how the new mix performed as of yet. I'm sure they will solve their problem, hopefully more "sooner than later". I'll be happy to go back to Remington when they work out their problem. Their center fire and shot shell ammo is first rate.
In the meantime, most of us get by just fine with Federal Bulk for anything other than precision rim fire work. The most consistent and reliable rim fire ammo I've used or seen used is the CCI. It's necessary to try different varieties of .22 ammo to learn which your particular firearm shoots best. Most of us don't need Olympic class accuracy for our applications, and most of the modern rim fire ammo manufacturers make quite passable product. Take your pick!
str1

22-rimfire
November 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
You might have hit on something there. I shoot the bulk pack golden bullet. What's the difference, exactly?

That is a $50 question. Nobody seems to know if the load is the same and the packaging is different or there is higher QA/QC applied to the non-bulk pack ammo at Remington.

CraigC
November 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the sooner they stop making that crap, the better.
Bite your tongue! If you've have bad experiences with the stuff, move on and find something else. I burn through 2000-3000rds of GB's every month and wouldn't if it didn't work. We're not talking one or two guns but two dozen.

skoro
November 28, 2010, 07:09 PM
The problems with Remington's 22lr ammo go back more than a decade. I've purchased thousands of rounds over the past two decades, mostly for use in Remington 22 rifles. I've experienced every kind of ammo related failure there is with this stuff, and far too much of any of it. Remington has chosen to not rectify the problems, as they've been awful since the late 90s.

Federal, Winchester, Aguila and CCI all make good 22lr ammo. There's no reason to take a chance on Remington. Having said that, Remington's 22wmr ammo is good stuff. I find it hard to imagine why they won't fix the process problems with their 22lr, but they won't. :mad:

BeerSleeper
November 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
It's rimfire ammo. It's not going to go bang everytime. It's to be expected. Seriously, how much quality do you expect for 3-3.5 cents each?

I buy whatever's available. It's 22LR, it's not a hunting or defense round, and clearing duds it good practice of proper firearm fundamentals.

That said, when I have duds, it's usually one of two things...Remington ammo, or time to clean the firing pin again.

GLOOB
November 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
It's rimfire ammo. It's not going to go bang everytime. It's to be expected.
I wonder why this should be the case. I expect my 22LR to go bang every time. I never understood the "rimfire's are unreliable" thing until I tried GB's. Rimfire ammo doesn't get a pass because it's cheaper. It's cheaper because it's easier to make and uses less materials, not because it's harder to make it halfway reliable. I mean, it might be inherently less reliable, but it seems like some ammo makers have figured out how to make reliable rimfire ammunition. Even Remington seemingly makes reliable .22 WMR rimfire ammo.

TH3180
November 28, 2010, 09:10 PM
This thread has taken an intresting turn. Since March of this year I have shot around 5000 rounds of .22lr. I have had a problem twice. Both times the round did not feed right in my Buck Mark. I expect all ammo to work.

millertyme
November 28, 2010, 10:06 PM
I like the CCI Velocitors.

BeerSleeper
November 29, 2010, 07:24 AM
I wonder why this should be the case. I expect my 22LR to go bang every time. I never understood the "rimfire's are unreliable" thing until I tried GB's. Rimfire ammo doesn't get a pass because it's cheaper. It's cheaper because it's easier to make and uses less materials, not because it's harder to make it halfway reliable. I mean, it might be inherently less reliable, but it seems like some ammo makers have figured out how to make reliable rimfire ammunition. Even Remington seemingly makes reliable .22 WMR rimfire ammo.

You have a point about the .22WMR. Then again, the last time I bought a box of .22WMR, it cost as much as a box of centerfire ammo. Maybe it comes down to cost rather than priming method. To think on it further, I don't think I've ever had a misfire on a round that cost me more than 5 cents, rimfire or otherwise. I've never had a misfire from a box of premium .22LR ammo. A 5 cent round (box of premium .22lr ammo), vs a 3 cent round (cheapie 500 ct. bulk pack round) may only be 2 cents difference, but that 2 cents means that premium round costs 66% more. 66% more buys some qc you don't get in the cheap line, you get what you pay for.

Anyone ever pick their duds up and try them again, or in a different gun?

GLOOB
November 29, 2010, 07:33 AM
I tried the first few duds (from the first 3 mags, no less) several times in the same gun, and none fired. So I stopped checking. Ruger MkIII and the FP marks were deep.

66% more buys some qc you don't get in the cheap line, you get what you pay for.
If this is the your baseline, then it appears a lot of us are getting more than we're paying for when we buy the Federal bulk packs!

BeerSleeper
November 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
That may be. I have experienced more duds in remington than I have in winchester or federal, but none have been dud-free.

I've had some duds that will take two or three strikes on one side and not fire, but if spun 180 degrees and popped on the other side, they light off just fine. That says to me, someone's getting stingy with the priming compound.

mboylan
November 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
It's rimfire ammo. It's not going to go bang everytime. It's to be expected. Seriously, how much quality do you expect for 3-3.5 cents each?

I buy whatever's available. It's 22LR, it's not a hunting or defense round, and clearing duds it good practice of proper firearm fundamentals.

That said, when I have duds, it's usually one of two things...Remington ammo, or time to clean the firing pin again.
This was not true before the bulk crap came on the scene. .22 was pretty much expected to go bang every time

BeerSleeper
November 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
I've never seen .22lr be solidly reliable, but I will acknowledge the point it is less so than it used to be.

I think a lot of duds are unfairly attributed to the ammo, instead of the gun. When I bring home a bucket of brass from the range, it will produce a handful of duds when sorted (centerfire included). the duds for calibers I own get loaded up and tried again. About 8 out of 10 go bang. This is a statistically small sample, but says to me, 80% of those duds were fault of the gun.

Motodeficient
November 29, 2010, 01:43 PM
I use Federal or Winchester Bulk. Federal whenever possible though. Bought one box of Remington Golden bullets, those were junk. My ruger 10/22 shot most of them, but it seemed like each round had a different amount of charge, very easy to spot with the ear.

sansone
November 29, 2010, 01:44 PM
CCI is my favorite rimfire

Deus Machina
November 29, 2010, 01:49 PM
For cheap plinking ammo, I haven't had much bad experience with Golden Bullets aside from inaccuracy, but I much prefer the Federal brick.

For actual trying-to-hit-something-right shooting, I have yet to find anything better (for my guns) than the Winchester Dynapoint HT bulk pack I can get from Dick's.

wally
November 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
I think a lot of duds are unfairly attributed to the ammo, instead of the gun. When I bring home a bucket of brass from the range, it will produce a handful of duds when sorted (centerfire included). the duds for calibers I own get loaded up and tried again. About 8 out of 10 go bang. This is a statistically small sample, but says to me, 80% of those duds were fault of the gun.

No its the ammo, if I bother picking up the dud and running it thru the same gun again, it almost always goes off the next time as long as the firing pin hits in a different spot on the rim.

danprkr
November 29, 2010, 02:52 PM
So, the answer to my question would be to try CCI and Federal next. Thanks.

I'm not much of a 22 shooter, but I have one gun in particular an old Ramline Exactor that simply will not fire or feed the Remington Golden Bullet Bulk packs more than 7 in 10 times. And, my 10/22 wasn't doing much better, but a new mag fixed part only PART of that. Then a collector of the Exactors told me that they hate that ammo. So I'm shopping for different ammo, but want to stock up now while prices are down. You know the old formal buy low sell high. Well, I don't intend to sell, but buying high ain't in that formula for me :D

In the meantime enjoy the free for all. It's great reading. And thanks for the information.

FROGO207
November 29, 2010, 06:31 PM
I have more than a full dozen .22's and without an exception the single box of Remington Golden crud I recently purchased was nothing but problems. like 1 in 10 with most of my MK II Rugers and 1 of 12 in my several revolvers. I had more than 50 in a 550 bulk box. Most of the duds would not fire in my single shot Glenfield using multiple strikes around the rim. Took a good one apart and full ring of primer. Took the duds and almost no primer/no primer compound at all in shell. All had propellant and looked to be about the same amount but I did not weigh them to find out. I guess for now I will not spend any more $$$ on Remy .22 ammo. I will leave it for those that can use it all without problems but thinK you will also have problems soon as the bad stuff reaches you IMHO.

22-rimfire
November 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
So, the answer to my question would be to try CCI and Federal next. Thanks.

That is pretty much right in the moderately pried 22 ammo. CCI Mini Mags are almost always very reliable. You pay more too. Accuracy will vary from firearm to firearm with a given ammunition and if you want to be precise about it... it will vary from lot to lot in the same brand.

Vern Humphrey
November 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
I have more than a full dozen .22's and without an exception the single box of Remington Golden crud I recently purchased was nothing but problems. like 1 in 10 with most of my MK II Rugers and 1 of 12 in my several revolvers. I had more than 50 in a 550 bulk box.
Same here -- I have two .22 automatics, a revolver and two .22 conversion kits for the M1911, plus six .22 rifles. And not one of them will go 25 rounds of Remington bulk pack without a misfire.

fortyfiver
November 30, 2010, 12:31 AM
I prefer federal 550 bulk boxes they produce none to very few misfires per box. If there are no federals available. I will buy remington 550 bulk ammo. I bought americam eagle in a brick one time. I found several bent cases in the brick in different boxes. Im all my years of buying .22 ammo this was a first for me. I was very disapointed with american eagle cause I paid much more for this ammo than the federal or the remington ammo. Needless to say I will not buy the american eagle brand of ammo again. I do like CCI mini mags I have never had a misfire with it. You get what you pay for with CCI products.

Vern Humphrey
November 30, 2010, 09:46 AM
You get what you pay for with CCI products.
As opposed to Remington rimfire ammo, where you don't get what you pay for.

possum
November 30, 2010, 10:19 AM
.22's in my experience are really picky about ammo. I currently have 1 .22 and that is the .22 conversion kit for my ar. it hates remington, but i have found that it loves the winchester 333rd and 55rd value packs from wal-mart.

fortyfiver
November 30, 2010, 04:43 PM
I give up vern you win. I didnt come here to argue.

CraigC
November 30, 2010, 06:45 PM
As opposed to Remington rimfire ammo, where you don't get what you pay for.
Got no problem with folks relaying their poor experiences with a product but when they damn the whole product line due to their singular experience I have to speak up....and loudly. This is why I always urge folks to try them for themselves to see what their guns likes best. Nothing speaks louder than a few good pictures. These were shot this afternoon. Ammo was Remington Golden Bullet 36gr HP's bought from Dick's Sporting Goods in bulk-packed 525rd boxes a few months ago. This was not staged. I did not fire 20 groups and pick the best 5. I traded for the rifle yesterday, a CZ model 452FS. I mounted the Leupold VXII 1-4x in Burris rings this afternoon, sighted it in and fired these five consecutive five-shot groups at 50yds. They measure, from left to right, 0.55", 0.25", 0.65", 0.50" and 0.50" for an average of 0.49". Yes folks, that is a quarter inch group in there, no flyers. Federal bulk did not fare as well and thus was not included. Can't wait to see what Wolf MT does out of this amazingly accurate little rifle.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/rifles/large/IMG_7817b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/rifles/large/IMG_7828b.jpg

Vern Humphrey
November 30, 2010, 07:42 PM
When you finish the whole carton, tell us how many misfires you got.

CraigC
November 30, 2010, 08:11 PM
When you finish the whole carton, tell us how many misfires you got.
Maybe you missed the first post where I stated that I go through 2000-3000rds of the stuff every month??? If it didn't work, I wouldn't buy it. :rolleyes:

Vern Humphrey
November 30, 2010, 08:54 PM
Obviously you've got into a different lot of Remington bulk ammo than the rest of us.

CraigC
November 30, 2010, 09:46 PM
Dude, I didn't just start using the stuff this morning.

Here's a post I made back in October after a heavy shooting week. I reported one misfire out of 2000rds.

"More grumbling about Remington ammo. You simply have to try everything to see what works best, period. I use more Remington than any other kind and burned up 2000rds of it last week alone. I had a single, read that ONE misfire, which did fire on the second try. I can't think of a single rimfire in my collection of over two dozen that doesn't do well with the stuff. Which is why I use up 2000-3000rds of it per month."

RimfireChris
December 1, 2010, 12:22 AM
I like the Federal bulk stuff from Walmart, as well as CCI Blazer. The Federal Lightning is good too, it averages out to the same price as the bulk stuff, but I wiah they sold it in a big pack.

Zach S
December 1, 2010, 08:53 AM
Best bang for the buck, IMO, would be the Federal Bulk. Runs well in all of my rimfires.

Remington GBs would have different results for different lots in my guns. Seems to work alright in my GSG5, but nothing else will eat it.

Wichester XPert just sucked. I came to the conclusion it was left at the range, not forgotten...

teetertotter
December 4, 2010, 11:20 PM
CCI Blazer for both my rifle and pistol which I shoot competitively. It is $17.99 a brick. Cheap stuff that is consistant and pretty accurate in both my firearms. Some CZ shooters found pretty good for practice. My .02

jcwit
December 5, 2010, 12:11 AM
.22 LR ammo question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinions please. I usually buy the Remington cheapo, but have now acquired a couple of guns that hate it. I like the guns so I'm shopping for better ammo.

Thanks

From the orginal post. If you want to spray the hill ingeneral then I guess the Remington Golden bullets are OK.

However if you like to practice with a fairly good medium that gives fair accuracy, CCI or Federal Std Velocity is the way to go, you'll get dime sized groups at 50 yds or better, depending on the equipment.

If you're after accuracy at a medium cost with a flyer now and then and wish one hole groups to be the standard, Wolf or SK target ammo is the way to go. We're now talking $70 to $80 bucks a brick.

Finally if you wish to win matches and see one hole groups all the time you're looking at Eley Ten-X Ultimate at $180.00 a brick, or Midas X by Lapua at $150.00 a brick, or RWS R-50 at $150.00 a brick.

All depends what you wish to do and how accurate you want to shoot.

Also what your equipment is, a Ruger 10/22 isnt going to cut it, in the high category range.

Magoo
December 5, 2010, 12:30 AM
I didn't reread the entire post...

I mostly shoot WallyWorld Federal 550 packs. They're not 100% for sure, but for the price they're good enough for plinking. The last 550 box I bought was on par with the worst batch of ammo I've ever shot. One in 15-20 FTF with a solid strike. "Lots" of FTE. I'll check tommorrow and post the lot number.

Honestly though, I'm going to keep buying these Federal rounds for plinkin'. Remington bulk is consistently bad enough that I'll NEVER buy any more.

danprkr
December 5, 2010, 07:29 AM
Finally if you wish to win matches and see one hole groups all the time you're looking at Eley Ten-X Ultimate at $180.00 a brick, or Midas X by Lapua at $150.00 a brick, or RWS R-50 at $150.00 a brick.

You are assuming I can shoot that well. Which is assuming WAY to much. :eek:

blume357@bellsouth.net
December 5, 2010, 07:58 AM
Just jumped in here and have not read the previous pages... but 22lr is always a compromise.... I've had good success with all of the bulk packs mentioned.... a fail to eject or fire every 50 -100 rounds seems normal.. but for accuracy none of them come close to Federal Champion game shot or such... followed by CCI mini mag or standard stuff. I've never tried the really high end (price) stuff mentioned. the closest I've come is CCI green tag and it's about the same as the Fed. Champion... I shoot Ruger 10/22s with target barrels pretty exclusively... dime size groups at 50 yards is the standard I strive for.

jcwit
December 5, 2010, 11:11 AM
You are assuming I can shoot that well. Which is assuming WAY to much.

Not assuming anything as I also have no idea what kind of equipment you have.

GCBurner
December 5, 2010, 02:00 PM
The Gander Mountain outlet store here had a sale on the Federal 550 round bulk packs for $14.95 recently. I stocked up, and bought one of their Army surplus $9.95 ammo cans to carry it home.

Tiomoid
December 5, 2010, 03:20 PM
CCI Mini-Mag's run like a top through any of my "problem" .22's.

mongo4567
December 5, 2010, 05:07 PM
I shoot Federal bulk pack, or Aguila if I'm shooting subsonics. The Federal works well in everything I shoot, consistent and accurate.

I used to shoot nothing but Remington bulk pack, it was the cheapest and accurate enough for plinking. I even had a Marlin HB that was more accurate with it than a lot of really good ammo I tried. Then I got a couple of bricks that were horrible...a very high number of misfires. It didn't trust it enough for racoon hunting. I tried some since when I couldn't find any ammo and they were back to their old performance. Remington bulk won't chamber in my Spikes Tactical 22LR AR conversion.

92trunk
December 6, 2010, 01:33 PM
As already stated usually can't go wrong with Federal Bulk for the price, CCI maybe a little cleaner/more accurate for slightly more $. I mostly stay away from Remington rimfire ammo although it works fine in my S&W 617

300grains
December 7, 2010, 05:35 PM
CCI std, mini-mag and velocitor. RWS std and HV are also good.

Bonesinium
December 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
Just shot through an entire 525 round box of Remington Golden Bullet Bulk pack. 1 dud. That was all.

CraigC
December 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
I don't think I ever have more than one or two duds in a whole pack of GB's.

CZguy
December 7, 2010, 11:17 PM
It does seem to very from box to box. I have good ones and one time about two years ago I have a box that about every tenth shell was a dud. I don't normally buy them (because of the dirty burning powder) but I have an old model 60, that seems to prefer them. Go figure.

k4swb
December 7, 2010, 11:53 PM
After extensive testing in my and others .22s I settled on PMC Zappers and PMC Target. I bought and shot a LOT of both over the years. NEVER had a dud. Very accurate in my .22s. Alas I started to run low a couple of years ago and actually ran out of the target so I started hunting again. After hearing that Aguila is now making the PMC ammo, I bought a selection of their high velocity (Super Extra) and all of their Match and Target loads. I haven't really had the time to do a thourough test yet but the results after a few hundred of each is promising. No failures of any kind and the accuracy is showing to be close to Ely Tenex in my .22s, not as good but close. The PMC Target load was also almost as good as Tenex in my .22s.
When the weather gets good in the spring, I plan to make sure my initial results are valid and stock up on at least a couple of the Aguila loads.

bradystrib
December 9, 2010, 09:13 PM
well fired about 250 rounds out of a box of a bulk remington golden bullets today. 1 fail to fire. Fired with second attempt. Ran through a 10/22, marlin 981ts, and romanian 1969 trainer.

also fired 100 rounds of cci minimags through a m&p 15-22. zero issues....man i need some more .22 guns :D

Bill B.
December 9, 2010, 09:20 PM

CCI IMO. CCI Blazer is a good cheap round. I can get by with CCI SV as a target round & CCI Mini Mags are a go to round for .22 LR Hunting. Throw in their HV hunting rounds for good measure and they have all bases covered pretty well IMO.

rromeo
December 11, 2010, 01:30 PM
I never had an absolute dud from Remington. I just had quite a few that failed to cycle my semi auto.

braceyourself07
December 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
I use CCI Blazer in my Ruger 22/45 pistol. After 2500 rounds, no duds, but I have an occasional misfeed. For its low price, I'm willing to put up with that. On a separate note, I picked up a 22LR conversion kit for my Sig P220 and was curious if any of you guys with 22 conversion kits (e.g. for a 1911 or other full sized pistol) perform better with high or hyper velocity 22 ammo as opposed to standard?

CraigC
December 12, 2010, 12:18 AM
My Ciener 1911 won't function with Federals, not enough oomph to cycle the slide. Although it is dead reliable with the much-maligned Remington GB's.

KosmicKrunch
December 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
Mine will only function reliably with CCI Mini Mags or better, I have tried most others. Kind of a finicky conversion unit. Any of the cheap stuff just will not function, mostly stove pipes and magazine jams with cheap stuff. Ceiner stated to me that it is the gun, a Para GI Expert. They did however replace a magazine at no cost nor no return of the old one, still the same issue though.

braceyourself07
December 12, 2010, 08:10 AM
Good to know. So far, on recommendation of the guy who sold it to me, I've been using CCI Stingers ('hyper' velocity) and it's working well, but a little expensive. I thought I'd go in between and get some Winchester 'high' velocity rounds from Bass Pro and see how it goes--haven't shot any yet. For kicks, I'll try some 'standard' Blazer too and see if I get good results. The aluminum slide is quite light, but I imagine it would have issues cycling that slide if it isn't powerful enough.

Vern Humphrey
December 12, 2010, 08:48 AM
By and large, .22 conversion kits are compromises. The original gun (for example, the M1911) is designed for a much more powerful cartridge, and the slide is proportioned accordingly. In most cases, that's a bit too much mass for the .22LR to handle reliably. Three "fixes" have been employed -- the floating chamber in the Colt Service Ace, lighter aluminum slides in more recent conversion kits, and high velocity ammunition.

Chief RID
December 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
I have a stock 10/22 that shoots CCI Velocitors just great. I love to shoot Low velocity stuff in my 22 pistols.

lobo9er
December 12, 2010, 03:23 PM
I've had much better results from the Federal bulk pack at Walmart than with the Remington offering, to the point I won't buy the Remington any more.

same here

rayman
December 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
You know, I just tried CCI stingers for the first time in my 2" 22 revolver and it somehow changed the gun. It felt like I was shooting a .38 and I had to adjust my aim a little. It was cool hearing a louder boom & feeling a little recoil but I wasn't as accurate with it. What's going on?

braceyourself07
December 12, 2010, 03:47 PM
You know, I just tried CCI stingers for the first time in my 2" 22 revolver and it somehow changed the gun. It felt like I was shooting a .38 and I had to adjust my aim a little. It was cool hearing a louder boom & feeling a little recoil but I wasn't as accurate with it. What's going on?

Stingers are a little heavier loaded, with a lighter bullet (32gr, 1640fps muzzle velocity) while, for instance, Blazer 22LR is a heavier bullet with a lighter load (40gr, 1235fps muzzle velocity). So Stingers and other labeled "hyper velocity" 22LR rounds should pack a slightly heavier wallop.

Ky Larry
December 12, 2010, 08:04 PM
My CZ-452 Ultra Lux likes Am Eagle 40grs. My T/C Classic likes CCI MiniMags. My Marlin 25N likes Win 333's.
Not to hijack the thread, but I used to have duds with Remington Golden Bullets in my CZ. I upgraded the firing pin spring to an after market unit and haven't had a dud since. YMMV.

CZguy
December 12, 2010, 10:13 PM
My CZ-452 Ultra Lux likes Am Eagle 40grs. My T/C Classic likes CCI MiniMags. My Marlin 25N likes Win 333's.
Not to hijack the thread, but I used to have duds with Remington Golden Bullets in my CZ. I upgraded the firing pin spring to an after market unit and haven't had a dud since. YMMV.

Each .22 will have it's own ammo preference.

I use J&P firing pin springs in my 452s also, but still have misfires with Remington ammo. Generally I only shoot Remington in an old model 60, that for some odd reason prefers the stuff. But I have to clean the action twice as often.

I use Federal bulk pack for plinking, and CCI mini-mags for any difficulties in cycling.

braceyourself07
December 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
Just to follow up--I fired about 30 rounds or so of Winchester 22LR high velocity and my Sig P220 22LR slide did not like them one bit FTF on about 1/4 of the ammo. Switched to Blazer and it ate them like candy. Glad my Sig likes to eat on a McDonalds budget!

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!