147 grn bullet "softer" in 9mm than lighter ones?

PDA

BrokenWheel
November 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
I noticed when going from a 115 grain bullet to a 124 grain bullet, there was less muzzle jump and generally less felt recoil - at least thats what I felt. I figured it was because the heavier bullet was moving more slowly causing the reduced recoil sensation. A load for a 147 grain would theoretically be moving even slower (subsonic?) do you think the recoil, muzzle rise would even be lessened even more than in 124grain bullet?

If you enjoyed reading about "147 grn bullet "softer" in 9mm than lighter ones?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
November 27, 2010, 10:21 PM
I think so, I have shot 135, 145, and 147 grain 9mms for IDPA and find them more comfortable to shoot even if the power factor is the same as for a lighter, faster bullet.
Some say it makes the gun feel "sluggish", though.

kaferhaus
November 27, 2010, 10:23 PM
weight and velocity = recoil

a easy way to measure is multiply the weight by the muzzle velocity.... the higher the result the more recoil.

918v
November 28, 2010, 12:13 AM
My theory:

147gr bullets on top of small charges of fast powder recoil less than lighter bullets on top of heavier charges of slower powder, though both loads generate the same momentum. It has to do with the pressure curve: a light charge of fast powder expands it's energy sooner and slows down the rate of acceleration of the bullet in the barrel. The slide responds in kind and the recoil sensation seems soft. A light bullet on top of a heavier charge of a slower powder feels more energetic because the powder charge expands it's energy over a longer amount of time. The bullet/slide accelerate harder due to the additional energy from the additional powder.

Even with the same bullet weight, recoil can differ based on the choice of powder. For example, 3.3 grains of N320 recoils way softer than 3.6 grains of 231 under a 147gr bullet, even though both loads have similar velocities.

PO2Hammer
November 28, 2010, 01:28 AM
147s seem to shoot the softest in factory ammo. In light target loads the 147s are very soft because you can get them to cycle the gun at very low velocities.
Less powder is used in both cases than with 115s, reducing muzzle blast as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "147 grn bullet "softer" in 9mm than lighter ones?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!