After A Visit To My Local Bass Pro Shop-

PDA

Ala Dan
November 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
Generally speaking, a nice experience~! But, I found that prices on firearms
run from 'bout $20-30 dollars more than I can sell the same firearm for. I was
in disguise, so no one knew me as a business competitor. Otherwise, things did
seem to be normal~! :uhoh: :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "After A Visit To My Local Bass Pro Shop-" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ants
November 28, 2010, 05:58 PM
I was in disguise, so no one knew me as a business competitor. What were you disguised as? A non-gun owner?:neener:

Ala Dan
November 28, 2010, 06:14 PM
Not wearing any clothing that signified that I was an employee of:
Simmons Sporting Goods.

chevyman097
November 28, 2010, 07:08 PM
I thought it was pretty well known that Bass Pro is not so PRO with their pricing. Every one I have ever been to or shoped at online was a good bit more than anyone else in the market.

Needless to say I will always shop elsewhere.

BTW I have been to simmons, I love them. :)

M-Cameron
November 28, 2010, 07:12 PM
why is it this thread seem like one large ad for Ala Dan's business......?

allfouledup
November 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
They're OK when what you want is on sale.

rfwobbly
November 28, 2010, 08:13 PM
I can't beat their prices on shotgun shells, even over the internet.

Old krow
November 28, 2010, 08:15 PM
The closest B.P. to me in the one in Malbis Al. I go there from time to time, but not to buy guns. I find better gun deals at the local shops around town.

blackrussian
November 28, 2010, 08:49 PM
Dan, I have recently purchased a pistol from Simmons. The store is in Bastrop, LA, correct?

mattmacklind
November 29, 2010, 12:19 AM
If there is a sale, the prices are good, and sometimes they're just good period depending on what you're looking for/at. If I'm looking for something in particular I usually call them first, and so far the quotes have been fair if not the lowest.

Ala Dan
November 29, 2010, 09:27 AM
Simmons Sporting Goods

that I work for, is a family owned and operated business; located in the
city of Bessemer, AL 35020. I have absolutely 0 of ownership of
this business. The Simmons family has owned and operated this family
business since the turn of the 19th century; and has been passed down
to the current owners, Clay and Peter Simmons. We have no affiliation
with [I]any other business that uses the name of Simmons Sporting Goods.

I will go on record as saying, that my family and the Simmons family have
been life long friends; and it is certainly a joy working for these very kind
hearted people. May I say, thank you too all of our customers; and may
GOD be with you and yours, during this Christmas season and even for
ever more.

longhair75
November 29, 2010, 03:57 PM
There is a Bass Pro Shop in Council Bluffs Iowa across the river from here. I had never been in the store until last week when I was sent there for a service call. I did not have time to get back to the gun counter, but I am not sure if, not being a resident of Iowa, if I can actually purchase a gun there.

jimmyraythomason
November 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
Ala Dan, isn't the closest Bass Pro shop to Bessemer actually in Trussville?

oldbanjo
November 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
I go to one in GA to buy shells. I look at their Guns, they have a lots that locals don't have. I order from locals.

supham
November 29, 2010, 05:03 PM
Our B.P. has the nicest, cleanest and cheapest indoor range around.

Ala Dan
November 29, 2010, 08:32 PM
jimmy ray my friend-

Actually, I was thinking the same thing; that the BP is closer to Trussville,
than to Leeds, AL. I don't know for sure, but Leeds PD patrols the hell out
of the roadways leading to and from the Bass Pro Shop. I think in reality,
they are try'in their damnest too run business off~! :eek: :cuss:

MrWesson
November 29, 2010, 08:36 PM
Around here bass pro usually has the best prices on handguns. Its sad really but the local gun shops charge a 50-$100 premium. I have found that dicks sporting goods is a little cheaper than bass pro on average.

jimmyraythomason
November 29, 2010, 08:40 PM
Actually Leeds is the town I was thinking of instead of Trussville. I throw Trussville in every chance I get because it was founded by my 5th great grandparents Warren and Nancy Truss.

Ruger Redhawk
December 1, 2010, 05:56 PM
I have gotten some great deals at BP but you do have to know your prices. If you can catch a sale usually you do pretty good. I have gotten burned a time or two when I needed something now. There's no BP for hrs away from me so I don't go very often. If nothing else it's nice to see what they have and find it elsewhere.

Sin City Shootist
December 1, 2010, 06:02 PM
I bought a Remy 700 in there the other day for $439. It was a youths model, but who cares, the stock was going to replace anyways. I could barely buy a used action on gunbroker for that price. Like stated above, sometimes they have good sale prices, sometimes you get bent over.

J-Bar
December 1, 2010, 06:06 PM
I live about 3 miles from the original BP mother ship in Springfield, MO. I have never purchased a gun from them, but I can find good deals on supplies and clothing there.

I enjoy going into the fine gun room and looking at the rich fellows' toys...the imported shotguns and double rifles. I take my wife with me. When she sees a double rifle with an $82,000 price tag, it makes my cowboy guns look like a bargain!!

Captcurt
December 1, 2010, 08:53 PM
I was in BP in Springfield, MO after the election two years ago. I hate to say it , but it is the honest truth. I had more handguns at home than they had in the store and more ammo. :eek: They had sold nearly everything.

I looked at their stuff everytime I was there but when it was buying time I bought from my local dealer. Now I have a FFL and have cut out the middleman. Come to think about it, I am the middleman.;)

J-Bar
December 1, 2010, 10:33 PM
"They had sold nearly everything."

Gee, I guess someone liked their prices, eh?

jimmyraythomason
December 1, 2010, 10:41 PM
"They had sold nearly everything."
Gee, I guess someone liked their prices, eh? I'm quite certain that price had nothing to do with it.

Rembrandt
December 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm happy to pay more at the big box stores....at least there you don't have the owners dog sniffing your crotch and have to wipe the dust off the merchandise.

Centaur 1
December 1, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'm happy to pay more at the big box stores....at least there you don't have the owners dog sniffing your crotch and have to wipe the dust off the merchandise.
Not to mention all the cigarette smoke from the owner and all of his friends who just hang out all day. :barf:

Actually here in central Florida BPS can beat everyones price with the exception of Walmart. I also have a BPS credit card which gives me 2% of all my purchases no matter what or where I buy. I only use it to buy things that I can afford to pay off every month, and I never carry a balance so there's never any interest or service charges. Since May I've accumulated $255 and I'm really close to getting my new Henry H001 lever action .22, FOR FREE!!!! :neener: Since I got this card I've bought a Marlin 336SS for $150 and a Remington 870 12ga turkey gun for $50. It's also bought myself a laser rangefinder, gps, bitzenberger fletching jig, Lee 4-20 lead pot for bullet casting, arrows, broadheads, bow sight, quiver, bow rest and all but $200 of my Diamond Justice bow. I once even took out a home equity line of credit to pay for my daughters wedding. I paid all of the vendors and the banquet hall with the credit card, then wrote a check from the heloc to pay the card off. Gasoline, food, doctor visits, christmas presents, airfare etc. all add up over time. You just have to have willpower and not buy anything that you can't afford, and have a little patience while your rewards balance grows. My family all know that I love BPS gift cards for b-day and Christmas presents so I can add it to my total. Even if you needed to run up a balance they only charge 9.99% apr.

Captcurt
December 2, 2010, 10:28 AM
I thought that it might have had something to do with the economy.:rolleyes: Yeah, yeah thats it, the economy!

Furious_George
December 2, 2010, 11:13 AM
How does everybody's local BP pricing compare to their online prices? The one in Oklahoma City is usually 5-10 bucks higher on most things in the store that on the website. I don't understand how they stay in business. Must be the fish tank.

Ala Dan
December 2, 2010, 06:14 PM
BP stays in business because of the huge amount of cash $$$$$ poured into
the business by its owner, Johnny Morris. I have never met the gentleman, but
sources say, he was "on hand' when the Bass Pro Shop was built near Leeds,
AL*~!

*FootNote- this information provided by a sub-contractor that did some type
of excavating work on location.

welldoya
December 2, 2010, 06:25 PM
"Not to mention all the cigarette smoke from the owner and all of his friends who just hang out all day. "

Man, isn't THAT the truth. There are a couple of shops here in town that I quit going to because I came out smelling like a chimney. Plus the owners friends hang out and comment about everything you pick up and stare at you the whole time you are in there.
To me, nothing can ruin a business faster than people just hanging out.
There's one shop that's in an old house. I've been in there exactly once. The kitchen had whiskey bottles all over the counter. When I drive by there on the way home from work, the owner's buddies are in lawn chairs out back drinking. Amazing. I guess the owner has another source of income.

danprkr
December 2, 2010, 08:28 PM

The dust I can do without, but I don't like going anyplace that wouldn't allow the dog in! Hey, the dog just adds personality to the joint.

therewolf
December 3, 2010, 01:41 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and state that BP Shops are primarily

In the business of selling fishing gear? (Clothing,too.)

My guess is that, while they want to provide a modicum of convenience to

their customers with firearms sales, it's probably more than it's worth to them to

stock them, let alone discount them. I think their area of strength is selection

and quality of fishing equipment.

There are outlets which have better prices, but IMO, BPS doesn't care...

(sorry?)

If you enjoyed reading about "After A Visit To My Local Bass Pro Shop-" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!