Forming 9.3x64 Brass

PDA

Snap-Shot
November 29, 2010, 02:31 PM
Does anybody know if it's possible to form 9.3x64 cases from .30-06 length magnum brass? Dimensionally they're similar enough I think it could work, and it would obviously require removing the belt and turning down the rim (and maybe the head and definately extractor groove too) before forming and sizing the cartridge... New 9.3x64 cases are pretty expensive and hard to find sometimes and I was wondering if anyone knows any ways of economizing this cartridge or had any other ideas for "donor brass"?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Forming 9.3x64 Brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GooseGestapo
November 29, 2010, 02:50 PM
If you mean the 9.3x62mm,Yes, but they may be a little short. They're still usable, though. It is based on the .30/06 case. Not a Magnum case with belt. I'm not familiar with a 9.3x64Magnum. Nor do I have any references.
Even better is to use the .280Remington or .270wcf. They're the full 64mm length and the 280 will require that the shoulder be moved back sufficiently to negate the need to fire-form the brass. They may also require trimming to correct length. John Barsness has written on this in "Handloader" magazine several times as has Ross Seyfried.

I you mean the 9.3x74, No way.
It's a unique rimmed, and shallow tapered case with a slight shoulder.

Snap-Shot
November 29, 2010, 03:18 PM
No, I mean the 9.3x64 Brenneke, which unfortunately doesn't share the same case as the more common 7x64. It's a big case measuring .507 at the base with a .496 rim, so just a little smaller than a standard magnum (7mm Rem, .300 Win etc.).

DILLONHELP
November 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions suggests using Basic 45 brass and turning it down. It looks like standard belted magnum brass could be used as well. RWS brass is hard to find unfortunately. Good Luck!

Snap-Shot
November 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks, I think I'm going to have to buy that book. I've loaded for a while now, but this is my first time trying to engineer my own cases.

NCsmitty
November 30, 2010, 08:28 PM
After checking case dimensions, it does seem feasible to fabricate the 9.3x64 Brenneke cases from the belted magnum cases. You just have to decide how you rectify the .006" difference between the two base dimensions.

I see Buffalo Arms has brass for the 9.3x64, and yes it's a bit high but not that bad for good fitting brass. 50 cases for $88 should last quite a while, but you may actually look forward to making up your own cases, as some do.

The 9.3x64 Brenneke factory load for the 286-grain bullet is 2690 fps, very close to the 375 H&H all the way around.

NCsmitty

Snap-Shot
December 1, 2010, 02:13 AM
A-Square and Quality Cartridge sell them too, but they all seem to be about $2+ per case, which is pretty steep for empties. That's about as much as Norma's loaded ammo in most calibers... I'll probably order some A-Square brass for my hunting loads, but I'd like to at least try to make some extras for practice.

Well, here's my tentative plan (not necessarily in this order): 1. Measure and mark the point where the case head stops. 2. Turn to remove belt and difference from cartridge head/base. 4. Adjust rim and extractor groove diameter. 5. Size ctg body. 6. Set shoulder back and neck up. Hmm, or would it be better to neck it up and then set the shoulder? Some experimenting may be in order.

That's my plan, or at least an approximation of it. It still needs some fine tuning, I think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Forming 9.3x64 Brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!