What is "Berdan" primed and "Boxer" primed?

PDA

Bobarino
December 22, 2003, 03:51 PM
i see those terms in various catalogs and i have no idea what they mean. can anyone help out the primer challenged? thanks all.

Bobby

If you enjoyed reading about "What is "Berdan" primed and "Boxer" primed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
December 22, 2003, 03:53 PM
Bob,

That refers to the type of center-fire primers that the cartridge uses.

Read this thread -- it will give you a pretty good understanding of what we're talking about.

If you still have questions after, ask away!

Boxer and Berdan primers (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50528&highlight=berdan+boxer)

Bobarino
December 22, 2003, 05:09 PM
thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks Mike! i am now edgeumacated. i appreciate the link. thanks again!

Bobby

Paul "Fitz" Jones
December 30, 2003, 12:42 AM
Berdan primers were invented in our country and adopted in Europe because the governments did not trust their citizens to reload ammunition. The Gove wanted complete control of the ammunition supply.

Boxer primers were invented in Europe and our Government has trusted us with them to reload our own ammunition to be an armed citizenry.

Paul Jones

Mike Irwin
December 30, 2003, 02:48 AM
Nice supposition, but really kind of far afield from the truth.

In a lot of ways.

Both priming systems were used here AND in Europe for many years before settling out the way it did.

It had NOTHING to do with governmental interference.

Mal H
December 30, 2003, 12:03 PM
I believe Mike is correct. The Boxer/Berdan standardization of the two continents came about due to fabrication standards, industrial manipulations, and most importantly the various war department standards for the troops. The standards were formulated long before reloading was ever an issue if it ever was or even if it is today.

If the Berdan priming system had become the standard in No. America, I can absodamnlutely garowntee that we would have reloading presses in our homes that use Berdan primers and we wouldn't think anything about it. The depriming mechanism might be interesting, but not a major problem at all.

If Berdan had come to be the system of choice for the entire world, I can hear it now, "You remember those old Boxer primers? I can't believe they went to the trouble and expense to include the anvil in each and every primer. And only one hole for the flash? Pure silliness."

If you enjoyed reading about "What is "Berdan" primed and "Boxer" primed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!