"Unofficial" shooting ranges in Central Florida?

PDA

Alex45ACP
November 30, 2010, 03:49 AM
I want to practice certain techniques that aren't allowed at standard rifle ranges. Shooting while moving, transition drills, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows an area in Central Florida I can go to to practice these techniques, and/or what the legality of this is. Can I just drive out to the middle of nowhere in a National Park or something?

If you enjoyed reading about ""Unofficial" shooting ranges in Central Florida?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fish Miner
November 30, 2010, 08:34 AM
Not even close. The only public range where there is no RO is up in Ocala NF. I would not go back there even if they were giving free ammo away.

The Titsville Gun Club on SR46 in Mims lets you get in front of the stall. I have done moving drills and whatnot there. Its 10$ and they are safe and professional.

Other then finding private property there is no where to shoot in central florida just out in the open on some public land.

cleardiddion
November 30, 2010, 08:41 AM
Volusia Country Gun and Hunt and iirc Flagler both have action ranges that allow that iirc

Krusty783
November 30, 2010, 09:06 AM
I went to grad school @ UF and the only shooting range I knew of was the one east of Lake City in the Osceola NF. It was a bit of a drive, so I didn't go there often.

I think there's a range in Newberry or Archer. I bought a sig 229 from an aux. cop who had an FFL and he took me there to make sure I knew how to shoot it / make sure I wasn't a wacko. The range was pretty bare bones and no RO anywhere.

You could go to the USPSA/IPSC websites and look for member clubs in Florida. Also, I ran into the Florida Defensive Carbine Club @ the Lake city range a couple times; bunch of guys in MOLLE gear & boonies with AR's... I don't know anything about them, but they'd prob. know of any ranges that would fit your needs.

Someone else asked this question...
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=1179802

Edit: I may be thinking of the range in Williston. Sorry, it was 6 yrs ago.. Anyway, here's a link to USPSA website. Search for member clubs in FL and the Williston practical shooters will be @ the bottom of the page.
http://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs.php

dogsoldier0513
November 30, 2010, 11:22 AM
Pretty much anywhere along the 'barge canal'.....

kaferhaus
November 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
Wyoming antelope club in ST. Pete or Tampa.... I forget which as I've not lived there in 20yrs. there's also one in Ruskin that's a IPSC/3 gun comp site. and another in Wauchula.

These are all member only places but it's easy enough to get into

If you enjoyed reading about ""Unofficial" shooting ranges in Central Florida?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!