Bullet shapes for lever guns

PDA

robertbartsc
November 30, 2010, 07:48 AM
I'm going to start reloading 35 Remington loads for a Marlin lever gun that stores loads in a tube magazine under the barrel.

I see some Remington Coreloks being sold that are identicle bullets to the factory loads (round and blunt bullets) I have been using but I wondered if I could safely use something more pointy?

Thx,,,,

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet shapes for lever guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
November 30, 2010, 07:58 AM
Generally no unless you single load the rifle. Hornady makes a line of bullets called Levolution, or something like that, that has a soft polymer tip and a pointy shape. These are specifically designed for use in tubular magazine.

I am not sure if the bullets are available as components though.

Otherwise, you will need flat point bullets.

Roodles
November 30, 2010, 09:35 AM
I use pointy bullets in a .357 lever rifle.

Single load only, no problems.

I'm sure you know but pointy bullets in a tubular magazine are not good, as they could set off the primer in front in the magazine (chain fire).

For fast feeding, I would recommend RNFP or TC.

HTH

jlove1974
November 30, 2010, 10:47 AM
the hornady leverevolution bullets and powder are both available as components. These are near-miracle rounds for the .30-30 and .35 rem rounds, extending your range out to 200 yards easily.

I wouldn't use any spitzer bullets in a tube mag unless you enjoy having a full tube of rounds blow up and taking out your limbs or an eye. your call....

MrOldLude
November 30, 2010, 11:31 AM
You could use a pointed bullets in a full magazine. But it is a risk that's probably not worth effort. A little jarring and bumping probably wouldn't be enough to light off a primer. But on the chance that it did, you would no doubt regret it.

ChristopherG
November 30, 2010, 11:52 AM
Leverevolution at Midwayusa (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=246091)

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet shapes for lever guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!