Barami Hip Grip, Clip-Draw, and "Mexican Carry"

PDA

RKBABob
November 30, 2010, 10:37 AM
How do you feel about carring a revolver inside the waistband in such a way that the trigger is not covered, such as with the Barami Hip Grip, Clip-Draw device, or other such things?

If you enjoyed reading about "Barami Hip Grip, Clip-Draw, and "Mexican Carry"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
November 30, 2010, 10:49 AM
I carry a S & W Mod 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel at 1:00 (mexican carry), but in a holster custom fitted for the purpose and me. The trigger is covered.

scaatylobo
November 30, 2010, 11:07 AM
No guns such as the Glock [ that I do EDC ] as I want and believe in a covered trigger.

Otherwise YES have done so many times for over 4 decades.

Vern Humphrey
November 30, 2010, 02:42 PM
There are two problems with carrying in the waistband without a holster. One is that the gun can come loose -- nothing like walking down the mall and feeling your gun slither down your leg!

The other is that the gun is not protected from sweat and body acids, nor is the body protected from the gun.

TexasBill
November 30, 2010, 02:55 PM
Have done both Mexican carry and the hip-grip; I don't recommend them. Too many good holsters on the market today to use another method of carry.

I am not worried about the trigger being covered: last time I checked, there wasn't anything there that was going to catch it. However, Mexican carry presents an opportunity for the gun to slide down your leg. This happened to me in a cafeteria line: fortunately, the gun wound up in my boot top. The problem with the hip grip is that, in order to have the clip engage your belt, you've got to stuff the gun so far down it's a real pain to get out.

Nope, I'll take a nice IWB holster that keeps the gun where it's supposed to be and keeps the grip where I can get at it.

David E
November 30, 2010, 03:12 PM
"Mexican carry" refers to holsterless carry inside the waistband, not a position in the waistband.

I won't use any of the options listed, not because of concern of an AD/ND, but because the gun will shift during routine activity. At best, the gun isn't where I thought it was and I can't get a grip. At worst, it goes clattering to the concrete at a most inopportune time.

Dan-O
November 30, 2010, 04:00 PM
I regularly use a universal clipdraw on multiple, and all different sized revolvers. With a belt on, the gun doesn't move around. The gun is def. more susceptible to getting sweat all over it though, specially in the summer time.

Carne Frio
November 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
I carry quite often a shrouded hammer
J frame using the Barami Hipgrip. It is
very safe and secure. I used to carry
that way at work, in surgical scrubs.
For 8 years, no one ever knew that I
carried.
http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

Old Fuff
November 30, 2010, 05:59 PM
I have no problem carrying a revolver inside or outside the waistband so long as it's retained in a holster. The possibility of an unintentional discharge because the trigger & guard aren't covered with a double-action revolver is highly improbable, but if the gun is simply stuck under the pants in the waistband there is an excelent chance of it sliding down the pantleg and ending up on the floor. I know of two very well known gentlemen who had exactly this happen, and both of them had enough experience to know better.

Vern Humphrey
November 30, 2010, 06:06 PM
if the gun is simply stuck under the pants in the waistband there is an excelent chance of it sliding down the pantleg and ending up on the floor. I know of two very well known gentlemen who had exactly this happen, and both of them had enough experience to know better.
And now you know three.:o

thunder173
November 30, 2010, 06:16 PM
That'd be four of us now Vern,..and I suspect there are many many more,....

Having said that,..I do quite often carry either a Keltec P-11 or P3AT holsterless, IWB, while using the Keltec clip's. Have done so for some time, and have never had issue doing so either with or without a belt,..but my waist band is usually fairly snug when I do. I wouldn't consider doing so if the wasit band was loose,..or there were no way I could snug the pistol in place with a belt.

I have "Mexican carried" over the years as situations warranted,..but it is not my favored nor recommended style.

Old Fuff
November 30, 2010, 06:17 PM
If I named the other two you'd know you were in great company... :D

thunder173
November 30, 2010, 06:25 PM
Well,...as the "new kid on the block" in comparison to you and Vern,...with him admitting his indiscretions,..I'd say I am already in good company,...

So,..are you confessing? Or just implicating?? :-)

BTW,...I have known more than a few other fella's,..and a couple ladies,..who have had that happen as well.

Old Fuff
November 30, 2010, 07:01 PM
Ah... no. I've never dropped a gun down my pantleg, but on occasion I have had to make a holster to fit something where a holster wasn't commercially available.

One advantage of IWB carry is that no one can see the holster. :D

thunder173
November 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
^ :-)

Have a great one sir.

sophijo
November 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
I think all you guys are wrong. I saw Mel Gibson, Mexican Carry; jump off 30 story building, grab a helicopter skid (in flight), dangle around on that until he dropped to the roof a a moving freight train and was able to get 32 rounds out of that pistol without a reload.

Vern Humphrey
December 1, 2010, 07:41 AM
Yes, but Mel was probably drunk when that happened.;)

g.a.stahle
December 1, 2010, 09:28 AM
I have an uncle that mexican carries his full size 1911 on a daily basis without problems, and I've carried my 4" 1911 the same way several times without incident. If your belt is snug, your weapon isn't going to move.

The Bushmaster
December 1, 2010, 10:25 AM
Oh yes it will...And at the most un-opportune time I might add...

If you enjoyed reading about "Barami Hip Grip, Clip-Draw, and "Mexican Carry"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!