Ruger 500 Mag Revolver

PDA

357mag357
November 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
Will Ruger ever make a 500 Mag revolver? If no why? Does S&W have the sole rights to the 500 mag? I see that Magnum Research makes one, why won't Ruger? Double action would be nice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 500 Mag Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
November 30, 2010, 09:52 PM
Between the models from S&W and Taurus perhaps Ruger thinks that the market has enough of them?

Chuck Perry
November 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
I'd say doubtful. I can't see them coming up with a new frame to house the 500S&W. There are a number of standard length .50's (JRH and Wyoming come to mind) but seeing as Ruger took a beating on their 480 they probably won't want to stick their neck out on these either. I still think they had a great cartridge in their 480. If they had done some more marketing, plus chambered it in some more economical models (Blackhawk) I think it would still be doing well.

CraigC
December 1, 2010, 01:16 AM
Five years ago, I'd have said no way. Now, you just never know. Ruger had a good thing with the .480 but they failed to market it properly and S&W stole their thunder with what I consider to be waaaay too much of a good thing. I consider the .480 to be a vastly more useful cartridge/sixgun combination than the big X-frames. It's a shame that it didn't last too long. It was only 2000psi behind the .475 pressure-wise, which will do 99% of what the legendary Linebaugh cartridge will. Only slightly more recoil than the .44Mag with bullets of comparable sectional densities but much more comfortable to shoot than the .454. I would love to see them do a five-shot .50 caliber in both a single action and the Super Redhawk platforms. My preference would be for them to legitimize the .500JRH, which is a .500S&W cut to 1.4" and uses its much more common projectiles. The full length .460 and .500 cartridges just require way too much beef. So I'd rather not see Ruger try to adapt one of their designs to them. I'd rather tote, shoot and use a 6lb carbine than a 5lb pistol.

788Ham
December 1, 2010, 01:25 AM
AMEN to that Craig, amen!

Confederate
December 1, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'm sure Ruger's marketing people have done all the requisite studies and have determined that either there's enough such guns available or that the .44 magnum is adequate.

I had a friend who had a .454 Cassull. Every time he shot the thing, he had to rub his fingers and hand! Why would anyone want such a thing? He offered to let me shoot it and he offered me twenty bucks if I could snhoot an entire cylinder without stopping. (I didn't even try!) He went hunting wild pigs with two friends and they all came back with two pigs...and his friends both used .44 mags! They held a cookout and the pigs shot with the .44 mags tasted every bit as good as those shot with the .454.

I'm not saying that these other pistols don't have much more power, but anything more powerful probably ought to be relegated to rifles. There just doesn't seem to be a huge market for Godzilla-dropping handguns -- at least not enough to be split among three major companies.

Chuck Perry
December 1, 2010, 04:36 PM
I think the larger part of the market for such revolvers is those of us that have to have the biggest, baddest toy. That's why I bought a 500! Ruger's 454 has sold well because it already had a good repuation as a mega magnum. The 480 didn't fit into this category. It was a great hunting tool, made alot more sense for 99% of the handgun hunters out there than the 500ever will. And this was how they marketed it; less recoil than the 454 with alot more useable energy than the 44. I think if they had marketed it with a magazine ad of guy in double armcasts holding one with a mushroom cloud in the background, we'd be tripping over 480 Rugers right now :neener: Any abbreviated 50 they could chamber would fall into this same problem; big, but not the biggest.

BlkHawk73
December 1, 2010, 06:04 PM
For such a relatively small market, the costs of designing and tooling up for a whole new frame wouldn't really be all that profitable. The same resources can be used towards other, better selling models.

captain awesome
December 1, 2010, 06:17 PM
who is to say the market would be so minuscule. I think its a darn shame Ruger hasn't taken the leap. I will tell ya this, I would have Bought theirs in a heart beat over the smith that I have. I probably would buy one anyway if they did come out. A black hawk 500 would be a terrific addition to my collection. Dont get me wrong, I love the one I have, but the savings for a ruger would likely be to good to pass up. I was too scurd to try the taurus, didnt like the look much either.

BlkHawk73
December 1, 2010, 10:52 PM
if the market was bigger, the shops would be stocking more of them and other manufacturers would be producing them. There's basically two groups for these: Those that understand and appreciate the chamberings and can use them proficiently and those that simply use them as a manner to boost their image, ego and gather whatever so-called man points they believe in.

CraigC
December 2, 2010, 01:50 AM
Those that understand and appreciate the chamberings and can use them proficiently and those that simply use them as a manner to boost their image, ego and gather whatever so-called man points they believe in.
I don't know, I wouldn't have thought the market was there either, before S&W proved it was. Although I think it 'may' be more of the latter type buying them up, rather than the former, who typically prefer 2lb. custom Bisleys. Present company excluded from such generalizations. ;)

Buck Snort
December 2, 2010, 04:40 AM
Don't be knock'n the 454 Casull. Since it is primarily a gun shot by reloaders its just a matter of how you load it. My 7" ported FA will jump right over my head with full power loads but there are many good loads that are far more pleasant to shoot. ;)

22-rimfire
December 2, 2010, 08:10 AM
Never say never, but honestly, I can't see Ruger ever making something in 460 or 500 S&W if they won't even support the 480. Hence even if they made a new revolver for either of those cartridges, I'd pass in favor of a Smith regardless of price.

mjyeagle
December 2, 2010, 11:01 PM
recoil can be tamed with practice the first 200 will hurt till you learn how to hold the gun i can shoot 50 in a shoot with my 460 s&w and 375 rum but that is me and my opnion

Action_Can_Do
December 3, 2010, 01:19 AM
The 480 Ruger failed for the same reasons the 41 magnum failed. Those who wanted the biggest and the baddest wanted something bigger. Those who could appreciate the 480 for it's unique qualities weren't buying them because they already had a cartridge that could do the same. The magnum craze has died down in the past couple years and Ruger would be crazy to put out a 500 magnum now. Quite a few people are still wondering why they never put out a 454 casull single action revolver during the magnum craze, my self included.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 500 Mag Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!