An Ode to Hodgdon HS-7...

PDA

RidgwayCO
November 30, 2010, 09:07 PM
Today I finally used up my 1 lb canister of Hodgdon's HS-7, purchased years ago to create ''firebreathing" loads for the 9mm Luger using 124gr FMJ bullets. I'm not sure now why I needed such performance, but I'm certain I had a good reason at the time...

I found the load in one of my early reloading manuals, the Speer #12. Speer listed their 124gr jacketed bullets with a maximum of 8.9gr of HS-7, resulting in the phenomenal velocity of 1249 fps from a 4" barrel. I had to try this stuff!

So I found a pound at my local gun shop, and started working up loads. After flirting with the max load, I settled on a much reduced 7.8gr which gave me 1150 fps from my Beretta 92FS and didn't seem to batter the frame as badly as the higher charge weight. HS-7 wasn't listed in QuickLOAD (still isn't), so I have no idea how much of the powder is burned before the bullet exits the barrel, or how efficient it is. It does seem to fill the case nicely, but clean burning (at reduced charge weights) doesn't seem to be one of its attributes. It also metered incredibly well out of my Lee Pro Auto Disk. Even with only a couple of hundred grains left in the hopper, it was still measuring 7.8gr with boring regularity. Gotta love those spherical powders.

Anyway, now that the HS-7 is used up (and my pound of Power Pistol almost gone as well) I'll be staying with VihtaVuori's N340 and 3N37 for my future 9mm jacketed bullet loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "An Ode to Hodgdon HS-7..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ehryk
December 1, 2010, 02:58 PM
Have you tried VV 3N38? I love it for 9mm, 40 s&w and 5.7x28

ArchAngelCD
December 2, 2010, 01:22 AM
RidgwayCO,
Before you decide on the VV powders you might want to give Longshot a try in your 9mm ammo. I used W231, HS-6 and Longshot in 9mm tests and although I like W231 (for almost everything) my son likes Longshot best. (especially under a 124gr FMJ bullet) Longshot is a very good 9mm powder IMO...

texgunner
December 3, 2010, 12:27 AM
HS-6 and AA#5 are good 9mm powders. If you still want "firebreathers" try AA#7.

If you enjoyed reading about "An Ode to Hodgdon HS-7..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!