The "why do you feel the need to carry" thread. News reports, incidences & such...

PDA

JQP
December 1, 2010, 05:30 PM
If anyone asks you why you feel the need to carry, show them an article that is simply a factual recitation of someone who was maimed or murdered.

I'll start this off with an article about this guy who was executed, gun to the head, in broad daylight, because some scumbags wanted his car, and had/have no apparent appreciation for human life:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/detroit/customer-fatally-shot-at-detroit-gas-station

If you enjoyed reading about "The "why do you feel the need to carry" thread. News reports, incidences & such..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
December 1, 2010, 05:37 PM
I always say that it serves a similar purpose as a seat belt, fire extinguisher, spare tire, savings account, homeowner's insurance, jumper cables, credit card, door locks etc.

Deanimator
December 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
I always cite the Kommisarjevsky and Hayes murders in Connecticut, and the massacre of the five women in the Lane Bryant clothing store in Tinley Park, Illinois, which by the way happened just up the road from where my mother lives.

Anybody who relies upon either the common decency of violent criminals or the "protection" of the police for their personal safety might as well find the closest set of railroad tracks and lie down on them.

Gouranga
December 1, 2010, 05:56 PM
I always ask them if they wear their seatbelts, and have airbags in their car.

Works on 2 fronts.

First, because you have a seatbelt or airbag does not make you want to run into a tree to see them work.

Second, despite a low risk of crash, nobody is willing to do without.

Also can go into, well if you need them for the interstate because that is the most likely place you'll need them, why drive in such a dangerous place. Should you not just avoid the interstate altogether!?

That being said, 10 years ago, I WAS that guy. I would have asked you why you needed one. I would have thrown the entire anti-2A schpeal. I was actually the worst kind cause I owned 12 gauge shotguns and would hammer you on your right for a handgun. So I always feel there is hope for a lot of folks to see the light.

Tachardiapsyche
December 1, 2010, 07:17 PM
Because I have opposable thumbs.

A firearm is an irreplaceable tool, just like a pocket knife, first aid kit and the extra $20 I keep in my wallet for emergencies. I wasn't born with spots, claws, spray, fangs or wings - but I am able to differentiate between the best tool available to save my life in a given situation and an empty pair of hands.

CHEVELLE427
December 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
so me and mine may make it home safely if need be,

and anyone else that is with us at the time

Iam2taz
December 1, 2010, 09:56 PM
I believe he was looking for events, etc....
Because a guy was killed where I fill up my cars and truck with gas a few weeks ago. (This was the most recent event!)

So.... It is all about wanting to get home safely.

rbernie
December 1, 2010, 11:16 PM
Let's keep this discussion on The High Road, gang.

wrs840
December 1, 2010, 11:34 PM
I find Suzanna Graria Hupp's testimony compelling, and I have found that many anti's that view it find it thought-provoking enough to re-consider their preconceptions also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

Just One Shot
December 2, 2010, 08:41 AM
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Need I say more?

Mousegun
December 2, 2010, 08:45 AM
I carry therefore I am

MikeNice
December 2, 2010, 09:37 AM
I point to the murder of Eve Carson. She was killed less than thirty minutes from my home. She was student body president of her college. She was one mile away from campus wen she was car jacked, robbed, and murdered. They kept her alive long enough to get the password to her ATM. (IF she had been armed would that have been long enough to save her life?) Then they shot her several times. They even blasted her in the head with a short barrel shotgun.

ETA:
She was actually abducted from her home near campus. They forced her to go to the bank and withdraw money from the ATM. Then they dropped her off a mile from campus. That is where they shot her 4 times with a .25 auto and once with a sawed off shotgun. I didn't know that untill today.

Eve Carson Murder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_Carson)

Time Line of Crime (http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2596473/)

Let us not forget that the judicial system often fails to do its job properly. That is the main reason that Eve Carson died and the reason I refuse to rely on them for protection.

March 3, 2008:
Demario James Atwater, 21, appears in Wake County court for a probation hearing stemming from a Feb. 20 arrest, but the case is continued until March 31 because of a clerical error.

Eve Carson was murdered two days later.

May 21:
A report by Durham City Manager Patrick Baker reveals that Lovette should have been in jail at the time of Carson's slaying but was not because police didn't file appropriate charges against him during a November break-in.

I also point out the fact that I spend a lot of time in a city that routinely ranks between 90th and 107th on a list of the most dangerous citys in the country. I even have to take my child with me in to that same city for doctor apointments, shopping, and family visits.

ball3006
December 2, 2010, 10:00 AM
I carry "because I can". End of story.....chris3

mcdonl
December 2, 2010, 10:15 AM
It improves my gait.

ForumSurfer
December 2, 2010, 10:32 AM
It's been repeated ad nauseum, but "when seconds count...the police are minutes away."

I had a close friend who was against concealed carry. He and his wife were nearly victims of a home invasion. Only a neighbor pulling into an adjacent driveway scared the guy off. My friend admired to me that he finally "got" that saying. He told me he realized that as he was staring at this guy face to face, about to barge through his french doors. He said he felt rather helpless knowing it may take an LEO several minutes to get there when the only thing between himself (and his wife) and this knife-wielding guy was a telephone and a pane of glass. He now has his concealed handgun permit and is seeking defensive classes.

monk d
December 3, 2010, 07:08 AM
Because unfortuantely, there are people out there who want to kill you and your family...but the analogy of the seatbealt and the airbag is a flawless argument. Most people would not even think of not having them, despite the low risk of needing them

TNT in Round Rock
December 3, 2010, 08:04 AM
The Luby's restaurant shooting in Texas. An active shooter running around the UT campus and nearby areas in the last 60 days (he only shot himself, no other injuries). And sadly, google church shootings and you'll find there are quite a few. So for those that think they're at least safe when they go to worship, they're wrong too.

Skribs
December 3, 2010, 09:26 AM
An active shooter running around the UT campus and nearby areas in the last 60 days (he only shot himself, no other injuries) Unfortunately, as you can't legally carry on a school (barring specific situations, e.g. locked in your car; permission to take it to a related class, etc.), this would have been a moot point.

wrs840, great testimony in that link. I particularly liked the "I'm not mad at the man, I'm not mad at the guns, I am mad at the legislature who made it illegal for me to defend myself or my family" as well as the "You say 'no legitimate sporting/hunting use', but that's not what 2A is about." She was a very smart woman.

Gauronga, very apt analogy about the seat belts and airbags. Although consider that a lot of people think "You're more likely to live if thrown from the car if it sets on fire" and "Airbags can break your neck".

I actually decided to carry (I've always been into guns) because of Security+. For those who don't know what that is, it is actually a CompTIA certification for computer technicians, with a focus on security (including physical security). One of the things in the book is formulae for finding out whether a security measure is cost effective, based on multiple factors (frequency of problem, loss per occurrence, cost of security measure). The way I figure it, for under $1000, I get - a home defense weapon (I have homeowner's and life insurance, but it can't protect information or give me a new life), a carry weapon (see life insurance), and a cool range toy. On the flip side, I could save less than a grand and possibly get killed.

fedlaw
December 3, 2010, 09:28 AM
1. Because actual evil exists.
2. Because when the S hits the F, it will happen in a blink and come at you from the blind side.
3. Because when you need a gun nothing else will do.

Sam1911
December 3, 2010, 09:34 AM
Unfortunately, as you can't legally carry on a school (barring specific situations, e.g. locked in your car; permission to take it to a related class, etc.), this would have been a moot point.

That entirely depends on your state laws. In many states it IS legal to be armed while on the grounds of a school -- and in even more it is legal to be armed while on the property of a college or university.

The federal "Guns Free Schools" law is trumped by state carry permits/licenses in many instances. Unfortunately there's a hitch in that as it doesn't apply to anyone outside their home state, regardless of whether they have a non-resident's permit.

evan price
December 3, 2010, 10:14 AM
I ask them why they DON'T carry.

ConstitutionCowboy
December 3, 2010, 10:26 AM
I won't feel the need until the need arises. In the mean time, I'm prepared and won't feel empty handed when the need does arise.

Woody

chicharrones
December 3, 2010, 10:37 AM
The people that do know that I carry usually don't ask, but the few that have asked I have given them these reasons.

- I can
- I travel for work
- I work in some not so friendly places and sometimes at night
- I've been the victim of theft more than once
- I've been the victim of armed robbery one time (no shots fired)
- I have an old friend that was shot in the neck while at a convenience store when it was being robbed (he was a customer and he survived)

HOWARD J
December 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
I carry because I live in Wayne county,MI.

jlg
December 3, 2010, 11:58 AM
I used to use the seatbelt analogy but it never seemed to get through - most people are locked into their thinking that guns are dangerous and therefore bad. So, now I tell them that I carry a gun because I have a small weiner. That generally ends the discussion.

Steve H
December 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
"cause I'm too old to fight and too young to die"

Where I live we have had a huge amount of pot grows in the past couple of years. Some of these have been within 1 1/2 mils of my house. I don't walk outside without being armed.

Shopping A Round
December 3, 2010, 12:04 PM
I ask with intent:

"Do you have locks on your doors?"

General Geoff
December 3, 2010, 12:09 PM
"In case I have to shoot someone!" (which is the raw truth, in the end)

7thCavScout
December 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
Because I can't carry a Cop.

jimwsea
December 3, 2010, 01:49 PM
I like to hike, x-c ski and snowshoe in the northwest. Notable incidents in the past few years include...

A lone skier was beaten and left for dead by a father and son who stole his car and took it down to California. The skier may have died if he wasn't found by some locals walking through the woods.

A couple making out after dark at one of the overlooks were attacked. they were lucky they were not killed.

Two women, arriving at their car after visiting a local hot spring, found a guy in the act of breaking into their car. He was hopped up on meth. He picked up a big piece of wood, ran over to the women and began beating them. His girlfriend was sitting in her car, just watching her boyfriend in action. The women survived, but could have easily been clubbed to death.

Two-legged critters present more of a danger than the four-legged variety. That's why I carry in the wilds of the woods and the wilds of the city.

HGUNHNTR
December 3, 2010, 02:00 PM
Well essentially it is because I know there are folks in the world that have ill will toward others. Specifically, the instance that drove the point home was the shooting at the Von Maur department store in Omaha a few years back. My wife was in the store at the time of the assault and raced out of the store to the sound of gunfire and hid with employees of a nail salon in their back room just a very short distance from the scene of the murders. We all know these things can happen, but when it happens to you or a family member it does leave a more profound and lasting impression. My wife is terrified to enter that store to this day. If only CC would have been allowed on the premises, innocent people may have been saved.

Cap'n Jack Burntbeard
December 3, 2010, 02:23 PM
Why do I feel the need to carry?
I refuse to justify to anyone, the right to self defense and therefore the right to the most effective means to self defense.

WalkAbout
December 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've carried for years. It started after a road rage incident a couple years ago by a young kid who thought I hit his car. (I didn't) He followed me to the next redlight, got out of his car, ran to my truck and banged on the window. He told me in not nice language that unless I wanted to get pistol whipped I'd get out of the car and give him money to fix his. I had a knife on me at the time (...well, a Gerber multi-tool that I slid into my pocket getting out of the truck.) Looking back on it it was a foolish thing to do, but I was able to talk him down and told him I'd be happy to call the police to get an accident report filled out. I never actually saw a gun. He immediately backed down. I signed up for a safety class and bought a handgun the next day. Within a month I had my carry permit, and since then I've developed a much higher sense of situational awareness and gotten some training that would have had me handle that situation differently.

Less than a month ago a neighbor of mine was shot 5 times and killed in a robbery about 100' from my front door. I like where I live other than the violence, but thats unfortunately a major factor. We'll be moving back to the country when the economy improves a little. I reckon I'll continue to carry even when I'm there.

b

MikeNice
December 4, 2010, 10:21 AM
Here is a new one to add in to my bag of stories.

Celebration, Florida Murder Mystery: Crime Touches Disney Made Town For The First Time (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/12/02/2010-12-02_celebration_florida_murder_mystery_crime_touches_disneymade_town_for_first_time.html)

An ugly dose of reality has shattered the calm at a Disney-themed Florida community after cops discovered the first homicide committed there in its history.

Residents of Celebration, Fla. - five miles south of Walt Disney World and planned as a picture-perfect community - were stunned when they awoke Tuesday to find crime scene tape near the Christmas-decorated downtown.

Cops had discovered a murder scene at the home of Matteo Giovanditto, 58, after worried neighbors had called to report he hadn't been seen for several days.

Nearly 20 years without a murder. Then out of the blue somebody kills one of the residents. It is true that no where is safe any more.

ConstitutionCowboy
December 4, 2010, 10:43 AM
Nearly 20 years without a murder. Then out of the blue somebody kills one of the residents. It is true that no where is safe any more.

It also tells me that that place wasn't safe to begin with. "Safe" is just one big fallacy. "Prepared" is the best you can hope for. Be prepared.

Woody

Alaskan
December 4, 2010, 01:27 PM
Because I would rather have it and not need than need it and not have it.

TeamPrecisionIT
December 4, 2010, 06:46 PM
Why have a spare tire? First aid kit? Generator? Flashlights?

Just because those things and/or self-defense are not necessary for 'normal' circumstances, when you need to use them -you really need them. One particular instance is when my brother was robbed at swordpoint by a couple of petty thieves for $5 he had in his pocket. Victimization isn't something I want to be forced to succumb to, ever.

Damian

wrs840
December 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
How about... "Yes, and while we're on the subject, all my fire-extinguishers are loaded too!"

Les

Old krow
December 4, 2010, 06:59 PM
I carry therefore I am

Or "I think therefore I am... carrying"

armoredman
December 4, 2010, 07:05 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Firearms%20rights%20posters/Emergencies.jpg

Bonesinium
December 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
Because I can't predict or see the future. Until then, I will carry whenever and wherever I am legally allowed to. No place is immune from crime. It only takes one person..

ConstitutionCowboy
December 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
No place is immune from crime.

How true. The damnable follow-up truth is that many places are immune from self defense.

Woody

K-Rod
December 4, 2010, 07:42 PM
jlg,

I like that. I'm gonna start using it if you don't mind?

Why do I carry? I carry because I'm gonna be pissed if I don't have it if I need it. I'm not one of those "Gun totin show off's" I don't carry open, my girlfriend didn't even know I did carry for months into our relationship (she carries now btw). I carry to protect myself & my love ones. I carry because there are people out there that DO NOT value my life or my love ones. I carry because the Bad Guys do too.

Sauer Grapes
December 4, 2010, 08:29 PM
I tell people I carry because people that don't exercise their constitutional rights tend to loose them.
That always gets a "deer in the headlights look".....

teetertotter
December 4, 2010, 09:16 PM
Wisconsin has tried to pass the CC a couple times the past 8 years. Now with Republicans BACK in control, I think will pass if reintroduced in 2011.
I can't wait as others have explained why.

orionengnr
December 4, 2010, 10:18 PM
Let me start with this. Anyone who bases their questions upon "feelings" is an idiot. Pure and simple.

I do not base important life decisions (marriage excepted) upon "feelings". I base my decisions upon factual data.

I carry because (factually) there are bad people out there...probably more every day.

Bad guys don't care one bit about what I "feel"...they want what I have, and will take it, up to and including my life. Happens somewhere every day, and you can read about it in the paper every day. Our "Justice" system processes them on through, and a surprising number of them are back out on the street. A co-worker's 84 year old father was recently murdered for (apparently) nothing more than his phone and wallet by a crew of three or four with an extensive criminal record. Face facts, the world today is not the one we grew up in. Your "feelings" do not and will not change this. :rolleyes:

Back in 1776, Nathan Hale said "I regret that I only have one life to give for my Country." Well, I'm getting old, and I only have one life. I put it in the hands of my Country for 21 years, and (thanks be to God) I still have it. I'll be damned if I'll give it to some scumbag...if I can help it.

orionengnr
December 4, 2010, 10:23 PM
DT...
How does that work?
Only site where I see these consistently...

Resto Guy
December 4, 2010, 11:00 PM
In 1995 my daughter was stalked by a nut who was running from the law. He had warrants for 1st degree burglary, among other things. Well, after sending him fair warning to disappear from my daughter's life, he made threats against my entire family. That proved to be his biggest mistake.
In less than three days I did what law enforcement failed to do in six months. I located him and within 24 hours he was chased down and caught by four county agencies and the State Bureau of Investigation.
He has been out of prison for four years. He knows I helped put him away, and that's fine with me.

kayak-man
December 5, 2010, 07:57 PM
I once spent some time in the hospital due to a bike crash. two months on crutches. I felt pretty vulnerable. Not the best way to start your senior year of High School.

I run a lot, and theres been more than one time where it looked like I was going to have to go toe to toe with a dog. I've been lucky so far in that regard, and haven't needed to.

In short, I carry (folding knife mostly, no CCW yet.) because I promised myself that I am not going back to the hospital without a fight, that I'm not giving anyone the opportunity to take my lively hood from me. I've missed out on enough due to broken bones and dislocated joints, so I've drawn a line in the sand. When I was getting off crutches, I was compensating for not being able to walk much faster than Dr. House, and now I'm compensating for having no practical use of my dominant arm.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

brandon_mcg
December 5, 2010, 08:38 PM
because there are people in the world (like the two i encountered last night) who get out of their car and tell you that they are going to effin kill you for parking too close to their "pimp ride". It's not going to get any better either with the Holidays upon us.

Vector
December 6, 2010, 02:42 AM
Because unfortuantely, there are people out there who want to kill you and your family...but the analogy of the seatbealt and the airbag is a flawless argument. Most people would not even think of not having them, despite the low risk of needing them

I disagree.

Unless you live and work in a very dangerous part of your town and do not drive, the odds of you being murdered are much less than you getting into an automobile accident. So that is a poor comparative analogy the way you take it.

da3394
December 6, 2010, 01:11 PM
I carry because I am getting too old to take a whipping and I do not want to die before my time.

perch
December 6, 2010, 07:11 PM
I understand that my chances of being mugged, robbed, or worse by a violent attacker are slim. Very slim when you figure where I live, where I go, who I associate with, etc.

I also engage in risky activities. I ski steep lines, ski the trees by myself, go rock climbing, mountaineering, driving up mountain passes in snow storms, etc.

My risk of dying during one of my risky activities is most likely hundreds of times greater, perhaps thousands, than by the hands of an attacker.

But you know what? My risks are MY choice. I accept an element of natural and perhaps random danger. It's the cost of having fun. If I die in a natural accident I'm completely at peace with that. I've had a good life, etc.

But dying at the hands of some uneducated degenerate who has no respect for basic liberties and freedom? It absolutely makes my blood boil. I can't stand the thought.

Furthermore, my gun is pretty lightweight. Minimal hindrance in my everyday day-to-day.

galapoola
December 7, 2010, 07:40 PM
Because my holster gets lonely

If you enjoyed reading about "The "why do you feel the need to carry" thread. News reports, incidences & such..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!