What sparked your interest in guns?

PDA

gunnutery
December 2, 2010, 12:28 PM
Just curious how everyone got started in the firearms hobby. The catagories were as general yet specific as I could think of so forgive me if I forgot some.

I'd have to say it was a friend that got me interested in guns when I was 16. He borrowed his dad's shotgun and we shot a bunch of birdshot at some paper targets. I was hooked.

If you enjoyed reading about "What sparked your interest in guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chevyman097
December 2, 2010, 12:33 PM
I voted other....because it just seemed natural to me. I was raised shooting 22s and shot guns. But when I got old enough to buy I just went crazy on hand guns and rifles. : )~ It just seemed like it was ment to be.

Vicious-Peanut
December 2, 2010, 12:42 PM
Wish the poll would allow multiple choices. For me it was family and the magazines they had around the house. Flipping through and seeing all the neat rifles and pistols, and having shot them before. (and being taught properly by said family)

From there I saw one I really liked (.22 magnum, neat cartridge) and asked for it one Christmas and it snowballed from there.

glock36
December 2, 2010, 12:43 PM
I voted other, I can't remember a time in my life where guns in general were not a part of my upbringing. I have always had a strong devotion for this one of many tools.

Good luck
God speed

Rail Driver
December 2, 2010, 12:44 PM
I voted other as well. A lot of things combined have fed my interested in guns.

jon86
December 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
I voted other. The need to protect myself and my family sparked my interest.

gunnutery
December 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
I would attribute "up-bringing" to family. But if you'd rather say "other" that's fine too.

Yeah, that's a good one Jon, sorry.

Deus Machina
December 2, 2010, 01:04 PM
My dad taught me when I was young, but it was a rare and utilitarian thing. They were for putting food on the table and in the worst possible scenario, home defense. He still doesn't understand my CC, because he's a no-nonsense man at more than 6'6".

What started me into them is the utility, the freedom, and, as an engineer in mind and mid-education, they fascinate me in the same manner of motors and all sorts of mechanisms.

Putting holes in paper aside, any tool that routinely withstands 52000 PSI pressures and works as well for me as it did for Ivan in 1944 is something to be admired.

CoRoMo
December 2, 2010, 01:05 PM
Grew up in a family that frequented shooting and killing critters for food. Then came adulthood and I realized that I was in charge of my own security as well as putting meat in the freezer.

rbernie
December 2, 2010, 01:12 PM
Boy Scout camp.

JoeMal
December 2, 2010, 01:13 PM
I was raised around guns and had my first 12 gauge at a young age. Once I was old enough to buy my own arms and ammo, my interest really took off. This is a lifetime hobby that I will surely pass on to my children

Mike J
December 2, 2010, 01:19 PM
Although my Father always owned guns he wasn't really a hunter or a shooter. I always liked them & was interested in them from an early age. I still remember begging for a Daisy Red Ryder until my parents finally gave in. I didn't really get to do much about my firearms interest until I was grown. So I voted other. Friends & family have played a part but it was just something I was always interested in.

okespe04
December 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
I checked other. First it was my family, I had a .22 and had shot guns quite a bit in my younger years. But what got me really into guns was shortly after GWB did not sign the AW ban. AK 47s with 3 30 round mags for $300! Now I have a safe full of guns.

g.a.stahle
December 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
I checked movies, mainly because when I was a little kid all I wanted to watch were cowboy movies/tv shows/cartoons, etc. I wanted to be a cowboy until I was about 16, and then decided if I wanted to actually make some money, I'd have to pursue other venues.

When I was probably 8 or so my father bought me a couple of different .177 BB guns (a 1911 styled single shot piston and a revolver that shot both SA/DA, and a rifle). He taught me how to shoot, he taught me about gun safety, and basically indoctrinated me into the hobby. Now that I'm in my mid 20s and a broke college student, I don't have much of a collection but when I graduate from school and get a "big kid" job, I'll keep going with it. I fully intend to teach my kids about firearm safety and hope that they'll get into the hobby as well.

Bubbles
December 2, 2010, 01:30 PM
I didn't grow up with them and didn't touch one until just after I'd graduated college. This was in the early 1990's, Clinton got elected, the news was full of stories about the Brady Law and the AWB, so I decided to take a basic firearm safety course to see what all the fuss was about.

I found that 1) shooting is fun, and 2) I'm a naturally good shot, so I kept up with it.

So, in a way, you can blame Sarah Brady. Without her efforts I wouldn't hold a license to make machine guns.

awgrizzly
December 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
I voted 'Books, Magazines', actually cowboy comic books. But then it may have been cap guns and holster sets. I'm not sure, I was really young and it was many years ago. Then I got a BB gun, a .22, and started hunting. But my interest in collecting them really got kicked off when I bought my first handgun, when the government was about to pass the Brady Bill. It was an act of defiance and an effort to stock up before they were outlawed. (I guess Clinton did me a favor.)

Nomad, 2nd
December 2, 2010, 01:54 PM
Born this way

TrakHack
December 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
Other, specifically a horse trailering accident where the horse was severely injured but not killed. Not my horse (but I knew him) and not my rig, but I don't ever want to have to wait for the vet and chemical euthanization if my horse is in that kind of situation.

huntsman
December 2, 2010, 02:04 PM
Family

my dad was a gun-nut
I'm a gun-nut
my son's are gun-nuts.

swagner89
December 2, 2010, 02:17 PM
Other. came home from movies with GF and caught a couple dealers stashing their crack in my parking pad in back of the house. when i yelled at them to get out and pulled my cell to call police, the leader said, "imma come back and git you." 20 mins later when the cops showed, one said to me, "the likelyhood that he'll actually come back and kill you is small." bought my mossy 500 and a GP100 for GF as soon as could get 'em.

skwab
December 2, 2010, 02:36 PM
I grew up with them - my dad introduced me to them at an early age, but as I grew older and he travelled more my interest kind of waned, then in grad school a buddy of mine took me to the range to shoot a few of his pistols and I was hooked again. From there my interest has grown for a variety of other reasons, but most of all because unfortunately, our rights to gun ownership is like learning a foreign language in the sense that if you don't use it you may lose it. So IMO, the more gun owners there are, the more CHL holders there are, the healthier the industry is, the less the politicians are going to mess with our rights. In short - i picked family but other was also appropriate.

MonthOfAngle
December 2, 2010, 02:39 PM
Law enforcement.

I carry because they are unable to be there ontime.

Big Boy
December 2, 2010, 02:40 PM
The fact that they go BANG! and make bright flashes. Makes me go OOhhoooOOh.

Lonestar49
December 2, 2010, 02:41 PM

I voted "other" as with our 7th German Shepherd nearing the age of 7 or 8yr (rescued) and knowing how fast time was moving for him to remain with us and that we decided, after his loss, no more Dogs for awhile. As the loss of the last one, also rescued, at the young age of 3yrs old, was put down at the age of only 7yrs because of Bladder Cancer - that it was time I started (plan ahead) into handguns, semi-auto, get trained up and have a better means of SD/HD than just the 2 shotguns I had since I was 18yrs old..

To my sad, unknown delight/decision to buy a handgun for future protection, Bear had to be put-down in less than 3 months, after, to Cancer, after I had bought my first 2 handguns and had gone thru my first 2 stages of training.

For me, personally, I'd give them all back (except 2) if we could get another German Shepherd and the piece and security they "always" gave me, us, from the time I got my first one at the age of 20 and had them all thru my adult life except, now, for the last 5yrs..

But the wife's heart can't bear the pain of another loss as the last 2 early losses really occurred much to fast as both Dogs lived only 4yrs with us before losing them by Cancer, one 7yrs, one maybe 8yrs old. As the other 5 all lived long, natural lives to 12yrs and 13yrs and one, my biggest boy, 16yrs..

Handguns are trustworthy to do the job but they don't bark and give advance warnings nor will they act on their own if necessary like all my fallen hero's would do, and one did do.. and saved my life, literally.

Ls

ShaiVong
December 2, 2010, 02:54 PM
Rainbow 6!

FlyboyJS
December 2, 2010, 02:56 PM
Combination of family and friends...After talking with some of them, it was apparent that I had no other means of protection, so I sought out some training and purchased a firearm.

Clifford
December 2, 2010, 03:10 PM
My dad shot competitivly for 20 years. I literally grew up in house that smelled like Hoppie #9. Dad started teaching my brothers and I proper gun handling skills at the age of 3 and hasn't stopped teaching us to this day.

He never pushed guns on us. Neither of my brothers showed much interest in firearms. As for me, I'm into anything mechanical so the inwardness of the devices allways fascinated me. Nowadays I'm into hunting and IPSC syle competitive shooting.

bja5006
December 2, 2010, 03:27 PM
Other. Got burglarized one fine night. Decided to arm myself incase it happened again. Just couldn't stop at one! Now collecting/shooting is my primary hobby. I guess things happen for a reason.

stewart51
December 2, 2010, 03:40 PM
Like others that have answered there are many reasons that I appreciate guns. What sparked my interest though was the cowboy shows on TV while growing up in the 1950's and 60's. Colt 45's and lever action Winchesters in the hands of the good guys fighting for justice against the bad guys. When I was old enough I bought a 22 single action revolver and a variety of others since then. I admire steel and wood in guns, I haven't quite got used to plastic and aluminum though I do own a few of those too.

Kleanbore
December 2, 2010, 03:40 PM
Early television and comic book westerns, followed and reinforced by having an older friend and a neighbor with gun collections.

mljdeckard
December 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
I can't remember ever not being fascinated by them.

Digger Odell
December 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
I grew up around guns. They were not treated as any thing special, it's like they just belonged as part of the household. My grand dad & my dad both hunted to put food on the table & of course I wanted to be included. Upon reaching 13 years old my dad passed his Ithaca 16 ga. on to me, & I have since passed it on to my oldest son. As a kid the best cowboy gun was the 1860 Colt Army. It took a few years but I finally have one.
Now many years later 3 of my 5 boys & my daughter still maintain an interest in firearms & my grand kids have the ability, confidence, & interest to carry on.
We just find it fun!!!:)

Digger.

therewolf
December 2, 2010, 04:36 PM
This is going to sound sooo stupid, but hey! It's me, right?

I had a couple BB guns when I was a kid, and enjoyed them immensely. After I joined the Armed Forces(yeah, go figure) I just sort of forgot about guns and shooting. It appeared I had worked out the itchy trigger finger in my youth.

I was looking around a pawn shop, and there in a display case with the other
guns was a Stainless Steel S&W 500. Just sitting there, humorously large and imposing.

It's been on my mind ever since, and has led to getting my NRA courses, certs, CWP, and a couple smaller caliber pistols. I do a lot of shooting at the range. I'm not really interested in getting a S&W500, because it's a cannon, and rounds are @3$ each. I just realize that even if I owned one, it would never be all that practical, or enjoyable.

But that particular S&W 500, which I never even priced, BTW, got me back into shooting, after a 30 year absence.

jeepguy
December 2, 2010, 08:20 PM
other, i have liked firearms since i was a little kid. before i had even a toy gun my friends and i would pick up a stick pretend it was a gun and play cops and robbers or cowboys and indians. it just came naturally.

TH3180
December 2, 2010, 08:49 PM
I picked other. I really don't want sparked it for me. I was walking through the gas station saw a gun magazine, bought it and that got hooked. I am 30 years old and have been shooting since March. My Grandpa gave me a Colt New Frontier to get started and now I have four pistols. I also reload 9mm. The deal was made with the wife that any gun I buy has to fit in the safe. I am hoping to get a big safe next summer so I can start buying rifles. A friend has offered to take me Dove hunting next fall. I can use a gun of his and his ammo. All I need to do is get my DNR safety deal and a small game license. I am already excited.

Growing up I wasn't exposed to guns. It's not that my parents have anything against them or anything like that. My Dad doesn't hunt so he doesn't have any guns. I took him to a friend's place this summer and let him shoot my .22s and my 9mm. He is talking about buying a pistol or two this spring. Usually it is the father getting the kids involved in shooting. In my case it is the other way around. I can't wait until my son and daughter get a little more mature so I can take them shooting. Then I can have myself, Grandpa (My mom's dad), my Dad and my kids all shooting. Four generations all killing paper together. Does it really get any better then that?

Stevie-Ray
December 2, 2010, 08:57 PM
I learned early on that my dad had a pistol, and that sparked my interest. It seemed huge to me back then, though it is tiny now. (Colt .32 Pocket Auto) We were taught never to touch it and obeyed. Later on, my brother in law took me shooting with him at the age of 11, and I shot my first .22, a Mossberg 352. It was awesome and I was hooked, at least on .22s. The 12 ga? Not so much. I got my first gun, a Stevens model 34 less than a year later for my birthday.

Old krow
December 2, 2010, 09:38 PM
For the most part it was hunting. As soon as I was old enough to handle a BB gun I was hunting. My family all had guns. My mom CC'd, my Dad CD'd, and my Grandmother had a shotgun in the house. The rest of the family had guns as well. I can only think of one person that has ever sat at my Mother's diner table (in all of my life) that didn't own a gun.

I don't hunt so much now. It can usually be measured in years between trips, but I shoot on a weekly basis now. I suppose that it was a combination of family, hunting, and magazines. I used to read hunting magazines for hours. The mil didn't do as much concerning my affinity for firearms, I'd have been the same way if I had never joined.

330d
December 2, 2010, 09:50 PM
I was never really interested when I was younger, but my Dad died and left me a bunch of sweet rifles, so now I feel a desire to carry on his passion. And now that I have started... I can't get enough. ;)

PT1911
December 2, 2010, 09:57 PM
i believe it was the BOOM that did it... yup.. definitely the BOOM!!!

AdamJaw89
December 3, 2010, 12:00 AM
since I was a little kid I was just obsessed with firearms, just their beauty and ingenuity, and the power they withhold. My father nor mother were into firearms or owned any, I just sort of fell into it, they are my most favorite material thing in the world, I do not know why lol, I just have loved them for as long as i can remember. when i was around 15 i pretty much forced my mom to buy me guns lol i could not take shooting BB guns any more i wanted the real deal. So she purchased me a .357 and i got an SKS lol, my mom is sweet, she Has supported my gun obsession, but my dad on the other hand does not understand why i buy them and love them so much. anyways i got into firearms all by my lonesome.

Hanzo581
December 3, 2010, 12:03 AM
Family.

My cousin took me to the range when I was around 10, I had a great time, then at around 12 I took a trip with a family friend to Ohio where we shot various pistols, rifles and shotguns. I again had a great time. Then when I became an adult I took up the hobby.

black_powder_Rob
December 3, 2010, 12:54 AM
I voted for movies. Mostly Westerns and WWII movies.

bradystrib
December 3, 2010, 01:02 AM
my father was an at home ffl in the 80's to early 90's . Deal mostly in class 3 stuff and tactical stuff for LEO. I remeber being 4 or 5 and watching him shoot silinced mp5's. We had guns all over the house. He had handguns hidden in the piano, shotguns under sofas, m16's beside the doors and a street sweeper next to his bed. My youth was spent traveling the southeast on weekends to attend gun shows. I never once cared about guns until a few years ago though. I mean I liked them, but never wanted to own any. Then when I was 18 i went to a gun show with pops and built an AR from a stripped lower and parts kit. Now I own a good many but not nearly enough. Soooo, yeah there's my story :D

BLACKHAWKNJ
December 3, 2010, 01:05 AM
I can't remember NOT being interested in them, I think it's in my blood. My family name is very similar to that of a famous gunsmith/manufacturer of the 19th Century, I recall sneaking up to the attic when I was 5 or 6 to play with the M-1 Carbine my old man brought back from WWII. One of may favorite cap guns was a Hubley Trooper. My first revolver-a Colt Trooper.

wep45
December 3, 2010, 02:18 AM
my son got me interested in hand guns about 2 1/2 years ago. now i enjoy target practice, every few weeks, at a local range.

mordyfinkel
December 3, 2010, 10:59 AM
I did not grow up in a "gun family." Nevertheless, it was something I was always curious about. I figured it was a skill/life experience that would be interesting to have, like studying martial arts, speaking a foreign language, or knowing to ride a horse (go figure, lol).

A few years ago when I was 21, I went to a local gun shop after having some preliminary research, and rented a few .40 cal pistols (a Glock 22, XD40, and a Sig P226). Apparently I liked it enough that I bought the Glock, and the rest is history! Now my appreciation of firearms encompasses their history, craftsmanship, how they work, the skill involved in using them, and of course RKBA issues.

Onward Allusion
December 3, 2010, 11:03 AM
Targets. It was always about hitting the target for me -be it tin cans or paper. Secondary was protection.

ZCORR Jay
December 3, 2010, 11:07 AM
It all started when my father gave me a bb gun when I was 10. I loved hitting targets and it just grew from there.

HGUNHNTR
December 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
I grew up with firearms, and really cannot identify what sparked my interest. I guess it is probably the same thing that sparked my interest in eating food, wearing clothing, and living in a house.

69Falcon
December 3, 2010, 11:24 AM
I can't remember ever not being fascinated by them.

Ditto. I was brought up with them, and my [future] kids will be brought up with them too.

Jason977
December 3, 2010, 11:58 AM
I got my first Daisy bb gun long before I could shoulder the stock and still reach the trigger, so I shot with the stock in my armpit. My grandpa lived in the city and we often shot beer cans filled with water and the big star on the Lone Star box made a good bullseye. (If you're listening grandpa, sorry to make you sound like a drunk :)

Later we did quit a bit of plinking, clays, and a little bird hunting. Starting in my high school and college years my main focus was dirt bike racing, but whenever I was out of commission due to injury I always seemed to re-focus on the gun hobby. My latest shooting hobby growth spurt has been going on for two years now since I broke my femur.

Even though my family (especially my dad) introduced me to the hobby, he still thinks I went a little off the deep end, and can't understand why I need anything more than a rifle, shotgun and a .22. Much less a half dozen handguns.

HOWARD J
December 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
I was told that I could not have a gun -- I was 13.
I took care of that.

EWO
December 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
Tough for me to answer with just one. I would vote both family and friend if given the option. I grew up with a few guns in the house, but never really shot them much, but was perfectly comfortable around them. My childhood friend got into them a bit more once we hit our late teens/early twenties and sparked my interest a bit more. I even bought a couple at that time. Lately though, it's been all me. I just decided to get into shooting again about a year ago and have been pretty hardcore into it ever since.

cesarv
December 3, 2010, 01:37 PM
I voted for family, but wish I could vote for multiple choices. My father had 2 rifles and a pistol when I was very young, and used them for hunting. Since we used to go to Mexico to visit my grandparents and hunt, they stayed back there. The only other gun I remember my dad having was a Beretta 92FS that he used for protection in his restaurant. He would bring the money back himself, so he needed protection.

Then the military. I guess this is where most of my firearm instruction came.

smoothmetal
December 3, 2010, 03:49 PM
My family. My dad had a vast collection of guns. He was a great hunter; loved the African Safari.

oldfool
December 3, 2010, 07:17 PM
must be a too young crowd around here
TV, of course, honorable mention to movies

2 out of 3 half hour TV shows in black & white - westerns
Have Gun Will Travel, Tales of Wells Fargo, Wyatt Earp, Wanted Dead or Alive, "Hobie", Wagon Train, Rawhide, Gunsmoke
most often watched 1 hour TV show - Disney's" Davy Crockett" whist wearin' your own coonskin cap (when Disney was still Walt)
saturday matinee - the real "King" - Roy Rogers
(practicing your fast draw with your Mattel Fanner 50s after !)
and for the more mature late night TV crowd - Combat
(and I didn't even know the words to Lili Marlene until 15-20 years later)

alas, today ya'll only have (non) reality TV
no wonder the ranks of good shooters are shrinking so badly !
(not to mention white cowboy hats)

MacDuff
December 3, 2010, 07:28 PM
Elmer Keith!

HarleyFixer
December 3, 2010, 07:37 PM
I would have to say birth. I have had guns almost my entire life and don't remember life before them.

tuckerdog1
December 4, 2010, 10:57 AM
Picked 'OTHER'.

Had one stuck in my face while being robbed. Decided I didn't like, not being able to return the favor.

It grew from there.

Tuckerdog

pbearperry
December 4, 2010, 10:59 AM
Watching Hoppy on tv around 1952 got me going,followed by Roy Rogers,Gene Autry and the Range Rider.:)

jdowney
December 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
Family here as well, dad was a gunsmith for a while and always had guns around. Started shooting .22's as a 9 year old and would go plinking at every opportunity - wasn't hard to talk dad into it either :D

Even my mom learned to shoot .22's as a kid at summer camp, though I don't recall ever going shooting with her.

Zach S
December 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
I guess I could say LE, and their response time...

rscalzo
December 4, 2010, 02:56 PM
Had to put other as my first experiences was through a Police Athletic League rifle club sponsored by the police department using a great club that was located in northern New Jersey at the time.

A few of the older officers where bullseye shooters at the club and one civilian in particular ran the club and many of us were introduced. For years Austin Berhlert would attend the matches held several times a year that drew a large number of great shooters and do on site repairs and modification out of the back of his VW Microbus. His family was always along. As Junior Members, we were the official target replacement crew. worked for hamburgers.

Later I joined that department and took over firearms still using that same club. We had a great relationship with those members and our semi-annual firearms qualifications were more of a picnic/shoot than a necessary chore. Unfortunately the county bought the property and turned it into a park. A range didn't fit their plans so it was gone along with some great memories and experiences. Doubt I would have had the opportunity to shoot an actual M-14 if they weren't around.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/rscalzo/scan0002.jpg

788Ham
December 4, 2010, 05:28 PM
Family. I've been around guns since I wore three cornered knickers. My Grandpa and Pop hunted for many years, Pop got my older brother and I into Jr NRA at 8 years old. Family has hunted since that time, when lucky, we'd get 3 deer and 3 antelope every year, the freezer was full and we had to rent a locker for all of the meat! Still shoot whenever we can, don't remember anyone having more influence on firearms more than my grandpa, was one Hell of a shot!

Blackbeard
December 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
I was introduced to shooting by my dad when I was a kid, but never took it up as a hobby until my late 30s. What sparked my interest then was the Illinois legislature considering a bill to ban "high" capacity magazines. The bill passed the house and was scheduled for a third reading in the senate, but it contained a grandfather clause for guns & magazines owned before the bill was enacted into law. So, I decided if I ever wanted one of these guns, I'd better get one now. Got my FOID, got some classes, and bought a Glock and an AR, and the rest is history.

So, I owe a debt of gratitude to Illinois democrats. Without them I may never have taken up this great pastime.

P.S. They never did pass that bill, either!

Sauer Grapes
December 4, 2010, 09:09 PM
My grandfather hunted, my father hunted. I had a BB gun at 5, a .22 at 7, and a 16ga. shotgun at 10.
As with my father and grandfather, I've had a couple handguns for 30yrs., but never really shot them at all. Now I shoot handguns just about every week.
I've only owned one hunting rifle in my life but a bunch of .22s. I still have my Rem. 760 which I just shot last weekend for the first time in 15yrs.
While other kids were playing with GI Joe, I was shooting.

jscott
December 4, 2010, 09:21 PM
I came from a "gun family" so I shot from our front porch (grew up on a farm) before I could even hold a gun up by myself.

In junior high school I got a job at an outdoor shooting range in Broomfield, CO (Western Gun Club) which has long since been developed into a golf course or shopping center. I worked (if you can call it work) there every weekend during the school year and 7 days a week during the summers through high school. That's where I really started to sharpen my skills at trap, clays, precision rifle, handguns, and even black powder. I'd be arrested now but I used to keep my guns in my vehicle while parked on school grounds, skip class, and go shooting.

Went into the Marines at age 18, became a firearms instructor, got out and went to work as a police officer, and have continued to shoot (and instruct) as much as ever.

I still shoot matches every weekend unless I am busy teaching a course to military/law enforcement/private citizens. I am fortunate that I not only get to shoot but that some people feel I am worthy to instruct them and therefore allow me to pass on my knowledge to others.

bannockburn
December 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
My brothers and I had plenty of toy guns, but Mom wouldn't let us have any BB guns. Sometime when I was around 11 or 12, I got a magazine subscription to "Guns and Ammo", and I was hooked. I even used to bring my gun magazines to school (keep in mind this was many, many years ago), and hid them inside my textbooks while I was supposed to be studying. I would go to the library and read any and every book they had about firearms. Saved up my money, bought a Postal money order, and got a Replica Model Colt SAA from an ad I saw in the back of the magazine.

When I was 17 I got my first job and one of the guys I worked with used to go shooting and did some hunting out on his family's property outside of town. His Dad used to go around to pawn shops and always found some old rifle or shotgun to bring home. When I went out there with them, I usually picked a Remington Speedmaster .22 pump or else a Ithaca Model 37 20 gauge they had. As soon as I could save up enough money, I bought my first rifle, a Ruger 10/22. So I guess I would say that books/magazines started my interest in guns, with friends helping me to experience shooting for the first time.

teetertotter
December 4, 2010, 10:34 PM
To The Question: Wanting to shoot .22 rifle NRA competitively 3 years ago. Needed a hobby and meet people and have fun. Never been happier. I hope to buy a target grade .22 rifle in 2011, used, if can find around here.

mexica
December 4, 2010, 10:42 PM
Voted family, my Dad and Uncle were in WWII. He bought my first 10/22.

JellyJar
December 4, 2010, 11:16 PM
Moved to Texas in 1981. Lots of bad guys hurting good guys there back then ( and even today ) Finally was working in a furniture store that was robbed at gunpoint and realized that sometimes handguns could be useful for self defense.

Decided to do my on research on RKBA and today I am an endowment member of the NRA and CCW almost all the time.

orionengnr
December 5, 2010, 12:15 AM
My dad was WWII military and got me started at an early age. Although he did not stick around to cultivate that interest, it grew on it's own. :)
My time in the miltary helped, but my interest in RKBA mostly developed outside of all of that.

jscott
December 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
I even used to bring my gun magazines to school (keep in mind this was many, many years ago), and hid them inside my textbooks while I was supposed to be studying.

Sounds familiar. When I was in junior high I had a "extra credit hour" for which I worked in the principal's office every morning. Whenever there was nothing to do, I would break out my gun magazine. I always talked to the secretaries about guns, one of whom often came to the shooting range (where I worked) with her husband. The only reservation that the principal had about me reading gun magazines in his office was that I leave them for him to read when I was done.

I guess times have changed. I don't even feel that old.

effengee
December 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
family mostly, my dad and older brother owned guns ever since I can remember, and I've been into war movies and gun flicks ever since then too.

Been around guns all my life, and am raising six just like me.

Deanimator
December 5, 2010, 12:43 PM
I had little or no interest in firearms as a kid. We had no guns in the house... kind of a bad strategy given where we lived on the southeast side of Chicago. We ended up putting iron gates on the front and back doors, bars on the back windows and a steel prop rod in the front door to prevent the sort of home invasions that were rampant in the neighborhood. One afternoon, I was playing on our apartment's back porch when cops chased a guy up the back stairs to the porch next door. They caught him before he could jump over the bannister to our side.

Then one night my mother, who hated guns, pointed to somebody on "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and said, "Look at that funny gun."

It wasn't too much later that my grandmother (who liked to mess with my parents), started buying me gun magazines and gun books. I got my first "Smallarms of the World" between 7th and 8th grades.

I bought my first gun in college and have bought dozens more since then. I'm an NRA certified instructor and have been a pistol and rifle competitor.

Of course my mother hated it, but there was nothing she could do about it. But hey, Dr. Frankenstein wasn't too happy with his creation either...

Al LaVodka
December 5, 2010, 12:44 PM
"Other."
Um, I'm a man!?
Mom told me that when I was still in a highchair I used to bite the corner off a Saltine cracker and "shoot" the gun-shaped remainder...
Al

clance
December 5, 2010, 09:40 PM
My dad was a gun nut and I literally teethed on a derringer. So firearms are in my genes.

Bonesinium
December 5, 2010, 09:46 PM
Honestly I'm not too sure. I voted 'movies', because that is one of the things I'm thinking it could be. I've loved guns for as long as I can remember. Besides BB guns and paintball guns, I never had any real guns. My mother despises guns for some reason unknown to me. I remember watching all sorts of John Wayne movies and westerns and war movies as a kid. Die Hard was about my favorite movie ever. So if it wasn't movies, I don't know what it was.

Laf'n'Larry
December 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
How could I not be interested in guns - 1) male; 2) Born and raised in Texas. It's probably just that simply. I think almost every male is endowed at birth with a desire to weaponize every possible play object. I know that was true for me and my younger brother. In my time, I played with cap pistol replicas of Colt single-action and Winchester lever guns and 1911's. For my brother it was Roy Rogers and anything related to Davy Crocket including long rifle and coonskin cap.

His youngest is now 2 and a half and he is all about pirates and manages to turn every loose object into either a saber or a flintlock pistol. That is inspite of his mom's insistence that no weapons be brought into the house and that no one is allowed to give him a toy that is related to a weapon. She's on the wrong side of nature on this because he will turn ever stick on the ground into a play pistol or sword.

Genetics being the wonderful thing that it is, everything is in balance. His sister age 4 and half is all about being a princess. Everything has to be glittery, ruffles and tiarra's and of course we are all her subjects and must attend court affairs -- at least when we aren't having to walk the plank or getting maimed in a boarding attack.:)

brandon_mcg
December 5, 2010, 11:20 PM
grew up hunting. started with squirrels with a pellet gun then a 410 then doves with a 20 ga or 12 ga then deer with the 243, 30-06, .308. now it has evolved to handguns and tacticool type stuff, much to my newlywed wife's dismay!

ethiopian-gunna
December 6, 2010, 01:32 AM
I voted family, but, none of my nuclear family members are firearms enthusiasts. It was the legends, and stories of my grandfather’s African safari hunts, and his survival of the communist regime in Ethiopia that piqued my interest. But I must say, that I do not remember the day I said to myself "I like guns"; the interest seems to have been innate (I believe this is true for most males). I can not attribute my fascination with guns to any one source; my best explanation is that I am carbon copy (in mind and body) of my gun-nut grandfather whom I never met (strangely enough). I also can not explain my fascination with big block Chevy muscle cars!!

wvshooter
December 6, 2010, 01:41 AM
WVa passed shall issue for handguns and I thought it would be a good idea to arm myself.

If you enjoyed reading about "What sparked your interest in guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!