Used SW 629 6" barrel value

PDA

racine
December 2, 2010, 03:02 PM
I've learned a lot posting here on this caliber. I recently borrowed a friends 629 for a hiking trip in Montana and Wyoming. I cleaned the heck out of it after putting 120 rounds through it and holy cow, that thing was filthy. It had rust under the hammer spur, in the trigger guard housing and small specks everywhere. I put new grips on it and got a Bianchi holster to use. After returning it, my friend offers it to me for sale for $425 and I was shocked. I think his arthritis is getting worse and he only shoots 44 Russian these days. BTW, it's a stainless model. It's in very good shape with few scratches and few rust pits though small and very unnoticeable. The trigger is like glass in double action. I think it's a steal but what do you think? Primary use would be for backup fishing in Wyo/Mt and possibly in Alaska(though a 45/70 would be the primary there). Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Used SW 629 6" barrel value" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 2, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'd pay him the $425, then charge him $100 for doing all that much needed cleaning work on it. :D

Seriously, if it fires & functions freely, $425 is not a bad price at all.
Since it already has some cosmetic flaws, you ain't gonna hurt it any carrying it fishing.

rc

Confederate
December 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
Is it a recent issue or an earlier one? I'd pay more for one with a plated hammer/trigger. The 629s are outstanding guns, and rust and fouling can be removed. Sounds like the price is right for a gun in that shape. But photos would be nice.

788Ham
December 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
I know someone will come along and give you the correct name of the product, Mothers metal cleaner? I've seen another thread on here that has some dandies on it, s/s revolvers. Help guys! Use the cleaner to remove the rust spots and really clean it up. You've got a nice one for $400.00!

19-3Ben
December 2, 2010, 09:51 PM
I know someone will come along and give you the correct name of the product, Mothers metal cleaner? I've seen another thread on here that has some dandies on it, s/s revolvers.

You're thinking of Mother's mag and aluminum polish (made for car wheels, and available at any auto store).

My preference would be Flitz. Greatest polish EVER. (imho, of course).

Go for it. $425 for a S&W .44mag is a good price.

buttrap
December 3, 2010, 01:46 AM
Around here you are lucky to find any used N guns for under 500 bucks.

racine
December 4, 2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for replies. It's next on the acquisition list after the M1A, but it's next.

joed
December 4, 2010, 10:01 AM
If the gun is in good shape it's worth the price. If you look around you'll see they generally go for over $500. You didn't mention what dash number it is. Most that you see for sale are -1 after the model number.

If it's a -1 it doesn't have the endurance package and you should not shoot 300 gr bullets in it. The very first .44 mag I bought was a 629-1 with 6" barrel that a gunshop was selling on consignment. When I asked the gunsmith if it was decent he said yes but do not shoot 300 gr bullets out of it. I've had it for 10 years now and I have followed the advice. The gun is as good as the day I bought it.

If you don't know about the endurance package I'll explain. When the 29 and 629 were used with very heavy bullets and loads sometimes after firing the cylinder would rotate on its own. In the later models S&W made modifications to prevent this. I believe the endurance package started with the -3 or -4 series.

When the earlier models were made the heaviest bullet available was a 240 gr which is what the gun was designed to shoot.

ElToro
December 4, 2010, 01:51 PM
$425 ? jump on it !

racine
December 5, 2010, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the tip Joed. I'll have to look at the S/N and think about that. The 305 gr bullets are all I'd want to use for backup in Grizz country short of a 45/70. As far as the price, I agree, it's a steal. I do want to remind my friend about that as I wouldn't want to take advantage of him. Thanks for all the replies.
Racine

joed
December 5, 2010, 08:47 AM
Racine, I wouldn't be to concerned about not being able to shoot 300 gr bullets from the gun if it doesn't have the endurance package. Back when S&W made those guns and ammo was only available in 240 gr bullets no one ever found the power lacking.

You can still shoot the 300 gr bullet, I just wouldn't feed the gun a steady diet of them. The 300 gr bullet will accelerate wear on the gun. And to be honest I don't see the 300 gr bullet doing anything that the 240-250 gr can't. I wouldn't pass on the gun because of bullet weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Used SW 629 6" barrel value" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!