Ruger redhawk sight problems

PDA

Mr Bernoulli
December 2, 2010, 03:35 PM
Just picked up a redhawk 44 that an old guy had and looks like he never used it maybe a box of ammo through it and I could not pass for a even $500. That being said I took it out and it was shooting low into the ground and I was tinkering with the iron sights at 25 yds. Got it good just a tad high at 25 yds and dead on at 30 shooting groups (2 1/2 inches tops). However I ajusted the windage screw all the way out and still the thing shoots like 1-2 inches to the left of center! Any ideas on how to fix this?

As a side note this is my first big bore and wow is it challenging to hit at 50 yds! Any tips on shaping up my accuracy at this distance besides more trigger time? I believe a new set of grips would be better too because the checkering on the pachmayer grips wore a hole between my thumb and pointer finger like you get when you take the skin off a blister. I believe the way I had to hold it because of this may be part of the problem too as I was shooting at 50 after the blister thing what do you guys think? I shot it quite a bit and kept going even after the hole in my thumb... Loved it so much couldnt put the thing down : )

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger redhawk sight problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
December 2, 2010, 04:23 PM
You may want to get the front blade to bore axis alignment checked. Or perhaps if you can find a snug fitting bit of wood dowel to insert in the bore you could measure it up yourself. Having to position the rear sight that far over suggests that the front blade isn't in line.

My only other thought, since it's hitting strongly left on you, is that you're not holding enough trigger finger onto the trigger. All my revolvers require me to position the trigger right on the inner folds of the first joint to get a proper straight back pull. Try some dry firing while aligning the sights and see if the sights kick slightly to the left at the break. And if you're a long time revolver shooter and already know this them my apoligies. It's just that your results suggest this as a possible cause.

murf
December 2, 2010, 06:40 PM
nice purchase. suggest you make sure all screws are tight, especially around the sight. make sure the barrel is free of lead. are you shooting double action or single? much harder to get good groups double action. for groups i would also suggest bench resting the pistol. get as steady a rest as you can. if it is still off, i agree with bcrider's suggestions. happy shootin!

murf

Mr Bernoulli
December 2, 2010, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a plan I will shoot it off a bench to see! I have had my CCW for only almost 2 yrs now and got to the point I am very good with my single six but this was a whole new ballgame for me. This was all SA shooting as I need some DA practice its alot harder... Thanks guys and hopefully this is right and an easy fix.

Eb1
December 2, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have a Ruger SBH in 44 Mag. I changed grips, and it totally made a difference in POA and POI.
I went from the single action cowboy to a Hogue Mono-Grip. I know the SRH has a nice large double action grip on it, but after you check all the above mentioned suggestions it could be that your not getting a consistent grip on the gun.
Also I shoot a .22 single action, and I noticed that the big bore took a lot of practice to be able to shoot well. That is a lot of boom coming from those guns. You'll work it out. They are great guns the Ruger big bores are. I am very happy with my SBH.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger redhawk sight problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!