45 colt brass

PDA

sig220mw
December 3, 2010, 02:13 AM
I load 45 colt and have some brass from different makers and some of it has a groove about halfway down the cartridge. Not all brands have this groove.
What is or was the purpose of the groove?

If you enjoyed reading about "45 colt brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jesse Heywood
December 3, 2010, 03:35 AM
The groove is a cannelure. It keeps the bullet from going too deep and compressing the powder. It isn't used as much as it used to be.

ArchAngelCD
December 3, 2010, 03:47 AM
Don't worry about it either, it's safe to reload. It will smooth out each time you shoot a round in the brass.

Skip_a_roo
December 3, 2010, 06:58 AM
Now see, that's one difference between me and other 45Colt reloaders, I go for the once shot press system. I want that baby out of there after only one firing! ;)

No, all kidding aside, they are safe to reload and the purpose stated above is correct.

Just couldn't pass up commenting on AA's post! :D

ArchAngelCD
December 3, 2010, 11:39 AM
:neener:

sig220mw
December 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured they were safe since I've used them many times. I just wondered what the purpose was and why some had it and some didn't.

Anyway thanks again.

rcmodel
December 3, 2010, 01:16 PM
Original .45 Colt was loaded with black powder, and the bullet seated against the compressed BP charge.

As a result, the RN-FP bullets had no crimp groove, and were crimped over the beginning of the ogive.
That kept them from falling out, and the compressed black powder under them kept them from falling in.

A lot of companies still load the same RN-FP bullet without a crimp groove in .45 Colt.
So the case cannelure replaced the compressed black powder to keep them from being pushed deeper in the case during manufacture or handling.

You also see it with .38 Spl 148 grain wadcutters, as they are seated flush, and very lightly crimped to keep them in the case, but there is no crimp groove to keep them from getting pushed in deeper.

You will also see it used with high end SD ammo, to prevent any chance of bullet seat-back during feeding in auto pistols.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "45 colt brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!