Is a 220gr SMK too much for a 300 Win Mag

PDA

General Lee
December 4, 2010, 12:43 AM
I recently got into reloading my 300 win mag and was told by a friend that a 220gr bullet (70gr of IMR 7828) was recommended to him as a solid round. I have only shot a couple rounds of this with mixed results to this point. I have not seen any stress marks on the cases.

I am investing in a heavy barrel and different stock and I am wondering if shooting this heavy of a load would have any ill effects on the gun or barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a 220gr SMK too much for a 300 Win Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
December 4, 2010, 04:19 AM
70gr of 7828 is the starting load for a 220gr bullet on Hornady's website with a velocity of 2,541 fps ... kind of slow. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about that load at all. In fact, I'd use a chronograph and work my way up to a compressed load of 75.0gr as listed ... assuming it was accurate enough. I push a 208gr A-MAX out of my .300 Win Mag barrel at 2,850 fps or thereabouts.

General Lee
December 4, 2010, 07:48 AM
I am more worried about the weight than the powder charge. I don't know if bullet weight adds to the wear. Without getting SSC 7828 I couldn't fit much more than 70gr in the case. I had to compress the powder a bit as is.

50below
December 5, 2010, 03:27 PM
The 220 SMK is a fine long range bullet for a 300 Win Mag. The primairy reason to go with heavy for caliber projectiles is higher BC, which translates into less wind deflection. Since High Power matches are shot at known distances, the drop isn't a big deal: it will remain stable (providing a load with good consistancy). The wind, however you have no control over, and thus you choose ammo that will help minimize its effects.

Use Sierra's reloading manual. Watch how tight the primer pockets are. If the primers starting going in real easy; you've worn that case out. Yes, there are a bunch of other indicators to look for. But, you'll probably notice that first with heavy charges with heavy bullets. Especailly if you use soft brass such as Federal.

If you're looking at shooting heavy bullets in the 300 Win Mag, get a nice heavy barrel at least 26" long and at least 1:10" twist.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a 220gr SMK too much for a 300 Win Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!