Where have I been? Someone catch me up.

PDA

heavyshooter
December 4, 2010, 02:21 AM
I recently purchased an S&W 442 for my wife. There were two on display at my local gunstore. One of them had the internal lock and the other didn't. I did not know that lockless S&W revolvers were available now (apparently I live under a rock). A couple years ago I purchased the 37-2 primarily because it did not have the lock, but I was under the impression that that was a one time thing. Is Smith moving aware from the ILS? Did buyers make a big enough fuss? I am not necessarily opposed to the lock, but I do not like having anything on a gun that I will NEVER use. In addition to that, the one with the lock was $30.00 more than the lockless one! HAVE I BEEN PAYING A MARKED UP PRICE TO BUY GUNS WITH LOCKS THAT I DO NOT WANT?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where have I been? Someone catch me up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rexster
December 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
S&W did indeed make a few more no-keyhole Models 442 and 642.

The_Shootist
December 5, 2010, 12:33 AM
I think you can still get the non-ILS flavour 442/642 as a special order?

ArchAngelCD
December 5, 2010, 03:46 AM
Actually, the no-lock M442's and M642's aren't special order. They are available and still currently being manufactured by S&W. Even though the rumor was those first no-lock M642's 2 years ago were the only ones S&W saw them fly off the shelf and decided to keep making the Centennial frame J frames without locks since those are probably the biggest sellers for SD carry.

RidgwayCO
December 5, 2010, 12:33 PM
I've complained so much about the infernal lock that, when I saw Robertson Trading Post had some new no-IL 642-1's earlier this year, I felt honor-bound to buy one. Nice little revolver, without any unnecessary parts that could fail. Hopefully S&W is watching and learning...

ArchAngelCD
December 6, 2010, 03:20 AM
I think they are watching and learning because soon after they did a test run of 3000 no-lock M642's they did release the no-lock M442. Unfortunately only the Centennial frame J frames are no-lock right now because I would love to have one of those new M438's without a lock!!!

Buck Snort
December 6, 2010, 05:41 PM
S&W has stuck itself between a rock and a hard place. Now that they've produced guns with the lock they're afraid they'll get sued if somebody gets shot "accidently" with a no-lock gun. The claim will be that they removed a safety device that could've prevented the "accidental shooting". :rolleyes:

DPris
December 6, 2010, 06:57 PM
There are about a dozen no-lock models S&W is now putting out as regular production.
Denis

If you enjoyed reading about "Where have I been? Someone catch me up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!