Help me with my SP101


December 4, 2010, 07:03 PM
Well, I hope I don't need to send my Ruger SP101 back home.
I have noticed some end-shake in the cylinder as of late, and it only has a couple hundred rds through it. The cylinder play is .002" to .006". Is this acceptable for a Ruger SP101? My GP100 I had was "vault tight", but this little gem (my favorite gun) has me wondering. Just installed a Meprolight front sight on and my Simply Rugged holster came in.....all today! Also put some Missouri Walnut grip inserts on it and am thinking about having it bead blasted.

Anyway, what about this end-shake.....normal tolerances for a Ruger, or send it back for 3 months (guessing)?
Oh yeah, normal side to side shake......and I bought the gun new about 6-7 months ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me with my SP101" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
December 5, 2010, 12:41 AM

Vern Humphrey
December 5, 2010, 08:59 AM
Contact Ruger and see what they say. Endshake is one of those things that gets worse as time goes on. Essentially, it gives the cylinder a "run up" as it recoils, slamming into the frame and making things worse and worse.

December 5, 2010, 09:12 AM
why are you wanting to have it bead blasted?

December 5, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks Vern, I have heard that Rugers are designed to have loose much is the question.
Oldbanjo, I like the mate finish that a nice glass bead blasted gun gives you. IMO, they look much better than the shiny stainless look. Plus my 'smith will take off the sharp edges and bead blast it for $75......not to bad a price IMO.
I just need to be sure the cylinder play is normal for a Ruger DA revolver, because if I send it in I doubt it will come back with the same parts, so I'm out the $.

December 5, 2010, 02:03 PM
Here is a link to a thread elsewhere. Iowegan is the resident gunsmith there.

Evidently, 0.002" to 0.005" is the norm. Also, I would think the local gunsmith could obtain some washers for the crane to take out some of the endshake. That would be quicker and cheaper.

December 5, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the answer, I have a SP101 also.

Five of Clubs
December 5, 2010, 08:13 PM
The guys at Gemini Custom (LINK ( can both eliminate the end shake and bead blast your Ruger for you. Plus, they can do a whole bunch of other awesome stuff. I almost bought an SP101 just so I could have those guys do their treatment.

December 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with Ruger - and once again they amaze me with the lack of CS they give. I was very nice to the man in the service dept and told him I had a little cylinder end-shake in my SP101 and wondered what the specs are for their tolerances.......he wouldn't tell me.

I told him that I could tell him what I measured with my feeler gauge and he could tell me if it was in spec or not. He said: "No.....sorry, we don't give out that information". I then asked what I should do and he said they are supposed to have a tiny bit of end-shake, but I would need to send it to them to find out if it's in spec or not.

What a joke:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me with my SP101" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!