New Buy Classic 6 Shot

PDA

TheGent
December 4, 2010, 07:26 PM
Picked this girl up for $75 today. I think it's a Model 10 M&P. I haven't finished reading up on it yet. I will have to call S&W and find out the date of manufacture as well. Chambered for .38 Special. The action is great in SA and DA. Timing is good too. Just needs to be re-blued. For $75 I said why not. The seller initially wanted $100 for it. So I came out real good. After cleaning the internals it is very smooth.

Here's a pic:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/aclaired/DSCF0983.jpg

P.S. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TheGent

If you enjoyed reading about "New Buy Classic 6 Shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
StrawHat
December 5, 2010, 06:15 AM
It appears you have a M&P model or some variation of the 1905 model. While they are the meat and potatoes of the S&W line, they are also some of the finest shooting revovlers around. I have a 5" barreled version and use it semi frequently. This model has the old style long action favored by many and unappreciated by the rest. S&W may be able to give the shipping date based on the serial number. Posting it here, someone will be able to provide the same info.

Nice looking revolver.

Least I forget, at some point, S&W started to strengthen the cylinder. Posting you serial number will allow you to be told if yours falls prior to that time or not. If you plan to use +p ammo, this is important to know.

bannockburn
December 5, 2010, 08:36 AM
TheGent

Congrats on a great deal! Honestly for $75, how could you go wrong? Hard to tell from the photo, but are there any major rust spots or deep pitting? If so, you might want to go with a matte blued finish to alleviate the uneven areas of the metal surface. Also you should be careful when you remove the grips. I had a older M&P model like yours and had large pieces of the grips just fall off when I removed them. The wood was so dried out that it had become quite brittle and splintered very easily. Definitely have to give us some "after" photos when you get it back from being refinished.

TheGent
December 5, 2010, 09:28 AM
StrawHat, Thanks for the info. I just noticed the sticky at the top of the sub forum.

bannockburn, Nothing major that I can see. A good bit of surface rust and some shallow pitting that I'll be able to get out with some fine sand paper after I strip it. The grips already have some chunks taken out of it. I will be ordering some of the service grips from S&W this week. The grips I will be getting are not quite the same, but I plan on this gun being a user anyway.

These are the grips I will be getting:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764718_-1_758004_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Old Fuff
December 5, 2010, 10:00 AM
If the stocks are original to the revolver (and I think they are) they will be serial numbered to the gun on the underside. The serial number will be found stamped on the bottom of the butt, the rear face of the cylinder, and the bottom of the barrel above the ejector rod. Swing out the cylinder to see. Ignore any other numbers.

The style of stocks were used from about 1910 to 1920. Be aware that the cylinder is probably not heat treated so be carefull what you shoot in it. Also if you carry it, lower the hammer on an empty chamber, because a reliable hammer block didn't come along until 1945.

If you post the serial number using xx for the last numbers more information may be forthcoming.

TheGent
December 5, 2010, 10:19 AM
No serial # on the grips. I checked that last night.

I will post the serial # here as well:

a) .38 Special
b) 6"
c) Square Butt
d) 6 Shot
e) Fixed Sights
f) B 3026XX

Thank you for the help,
TheGent

Also, I posted this info in the DOB thread.

Thanks for the safety tips too, Old Fuff.

TheGent
December 5, 2010, 03:46 PM
Here she is re-blued. I used the Birchwood-Casey Kit. Turned out real good. Can't wait for the new handles to come and get her to the range.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/aclaired/DSCF0986-1.jpg

TheGent
December 5, 2010, 03:50 PM
Here's a better pic:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/aclaired/DSCF0987-1.jpg

rcmodel
December 5, 2010, 04:34 PM
I liked it better with the orginial grips, and before the cold-blue job!

Just so you know, it ain't gonna look like that very long.

rc

Old Fuff
December 5, 2010, 04:50 PM
The serial number, 302,6xx indicates that it's a .38 Military & Police; 1905 Hand Ejector, 4th Chg. As I suspected the cylinder is not heat-treated. Barrel length is 6".

Date of manufacture is probably around 1918 - '19. Internal workmanship is (or was) impeccable, with features no longer seen today. You did indeed get your money's worth.

engineerbrian
December 5, 2010, 04:55 PM
I liked it better with the orginial grips, and before the cold-blue job!

+ 1

If you enjoyed reading about "New Buy Classic 6 Shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!