Any other Armi Jager owners?

PDA

Trent
December 6, 2010, 01:32 AM
So, my Uncle, he's getting up there in years.. his son is (aghast) anti-gun in a big way, so he decides to unload all of his weapons, ammo, reloading supplies, etc on me unexpectedly a couple years ago. Among the stuff is an interesting revolver in 45 Colt, an Armi Jager. This particular piece is a 1960's era knock off of a Colt SAA. It's pretty, and functional, fun to shoot, accurate, and timed perfectly, although I'm a touch stand-offish about putting any serious loads through it, for obvious reasons.

Any other Armi owners out there that have an SAA Replica?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any other Armi Jager owners?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCCL
December 6, 2010, 06:57 AM
Haven't seen that name in awhile.

They were decent guns from what I recall, parts can be hard to find if something breaks.

Carl N. Brown
December 6, 2010, 07:28 AM
(Wikipedia has an open reprint policy as long as source is cited.)

Armi Jager

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Armi Jager was an Italian firearms manufacturer owned by Armando Piscetta and located in the town of Loano.

The gun manufacturer was active since the early 1960s, manufacturing semi-automatic rimfire sporting rifles and replica "Western" revolvers. Later it evolved to rimfire and small-caliber centerfire (.32 Acp) variants of military firearms which at the time were difficult or illegal to own for civilians in Italy. Some of its best-known products were several versions styled after the M16 rifle, known as the AP-74, AP-74M and AP-80; replicas of the Armalite AR-18 assault rifle, known as the AP-75; replicas of the Russian Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle, known as the AP-80; replicas of the British SA-80 bull-pup rifle, known as the AP-82; replicas of the Israeli Galil assault rifle, known as the AP-84; replicas of the French FA-MAS bull-pup rifle, known as the AP-85. The factory sold most of its designs under the trade name Adler. The Armi Jager production saw significant sales in Italy and exports in the United States, earning a reputation as high quality plinking rifles.

Firearms production at Jager ended by the early 1990s, according to Mr. Piscetta for "lack of skilled personnel". The activity continues though as a gun store and gunsmithing shop located in the town of Basaluzzo, Alessandria province. The name of the enterprise has since changed its name to Armeria Nuova Jager.

The Armeria Nuova Jager website was not up last time I checked.

The original "Dawn of the Dead" zombie movie had the National Guard armed with Armi Jager .22 lr M16s (watch the guy check his magazine in the heli-port scene). The .32 ACP Jager M16 replica was actually popular with security guards in countries that did not allow private possession of real military arms.

Repair of an Armi Jager "Colt" western revolver should be done by a gunsmith familiar with the Colt: they are very close replicas but I never expect inch-to-metric to convert exactly.

Trent
December 6, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I hadn't owned any revolvers until my Uncle gave these to me - just autos. It felt a little strange first time I went out and shot it but I have to admit, it's pretty fun. :)

It didn't come with any ammo, but I picked up a box of 45 Colt casings off Midway and grabbed some 185gr projectiles I've been using for my 45 ACP's, and worked up a load. The 185gr SWC/ 10.5gr Unique loads I'm running through it now are very mellow, not much recoil, just kind of a soft "thump". Thinking it's a good starter gun to teach my boys with. Bit more thump than the 22 I've had them shooting for the last year, but not enough to scare them off or make them snatch the trigger from nerves.

The parts availability thing is a little disconcerting, but I'm not relegating this one to a wall hanger any time soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any other Armi Jager owners?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!