Need advanced computer techie help, for a political purpose...

PDA

Jim March
December 23, 2003, 02:43 PM
Folks,

Some stuff is turning up in the Diebold EMails that is just mind-blowing. At this point, I need to search this archive of 15,000 HTML files more efficiently.

To that end, I need a Windows-based utility that will search multiple files starting in a particular directory and working down, containing keywords anywhere in each file.

In other works, out of 15k files, I need to know which ones contain the words "Windows" AND "CE" AND "certification", appearing in any order within each file.

Does anybody know of a freeware/shareware utility for such a purpose?

Moderators: again, this is to aid political activism of a type that pretty much everybody here supports, and is hence on-topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advanced computer techie help, for a political purpose..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DaveB
December 23, 2003, 02:47 PM
Try using the search utility in Windoze "Explore". It will look for specific text in a specified directory in specific file types.

db

BrokenPaw
December 23, 2003, 02:50 PM
Jim,

I know of one.

I wrote it. :)

It's limited to 32000 simultaneous search terms. But it's scorchingly fast. E-mail me. You have the address...

-BP

Quartus
December 23, 2003, 02:57 PM
Anyone with Linux or UNIX available to help out? This can be done with grep, easily.

I have a DOS version of grep at home - I'll check to see if it can do the job. It's not as capable as the UNIX version, though. Might not be able to descend through the directory structure.

Jim March
December 23, 2003, 03:01 PM
DaveB: Windows Explorer can find "Windows CE" but the same search term won't pick up a phrase like "we use Windows version CE 3.0".

Explorer Find needs exact strings. I need to go past that.

BrokenPaw
December 23, 2003, 03:04 PM
Re: Linux/grep... The same thing can be accomplished on a Windows box; there are Windows command-line versions of grep available, and even if you can't get one of them to walk the entire directory tree, you could install cygwin, and run a 'find -exec grep' command.

-BP

Jim March
December 23, 2003, 03:05 PM
Brokenpaw: nope, don't have it, or at least I don't know which EMail correspondents I have go by "Brokenpaw" here :).

EMail it to me: jmarch@prodigy.net

Thanks!

Oh, and farming this out to a Linux guy won't help...I need to do a LOT of these searches.

Jonesy9
December 23, 2003, 03:05 PM
you libs are gonna ruin the best vote stealing scam of all time

Jim March
December 23, 2003, 03:11 PM
You callin' ME a "lib"?

:scrutiny:

Quartus
December 23, 2003, 03:15 PM
Try this link for some Windows based grep utilities:

http://www.software-x.com/software/grep.html

grep is good stuff.

Jim March
December 23, 2003, 03:56 PM
Windows Grep (from Quartus' link) looks like the answer.

Quartus
December 23, 2003, 04:01 PM
Glad ta be of service, Jim! :)

P95Carry
December 23, 2003, 04:10 PM
UltraEdit32, text editor .. has a ''find in files'' .... tho never pushed it to this sorta limit. It is possible IIRC to set up a lot of parameters and employ regular expressions also.

gunsmith
December 25, 2003, 03:03 PM
I don't think so- but I noticed that the lefty "indy media"
folks are all over the Diebold stuff without giving
proper credit to JM!
Jim,when you gonna put new stuff on yer blog/equal ccw?

Linux&Gun Guy
December 25, 2003, 05:25 PM
You could code a recursive readlines() funtion in python but grep IMO would be faster.

Quartus
December 25, 2003, 05:53 PM
Welcome aboard, L&G Guy! Jim's not a programmer, and with that Window's grep he's probably going full speed on his project by now.

Just so you know, Jim is currently working on busting some major vote fraud, but more importantly, killing the whole trend toward computerized voting. He's piling up the evidence that fraud is just way too easy.

Jim has been a major pain to some anti California politicos, and a REALLY big pain to the MMM.

He's the real deal, so when he asks for help, we try.

TarpleyG
December 26, 2003, 01:28 PM
Well, if you want the cheap and easy method, use the FIND command in a Windows command shell. Works great and its free. PM me if you need help scripting something.

GT

ojibweindian
December 27, 2003, 06:29 AM
Grep is the way to go.

If you need assistance with writng a little code, I'd be glad to help.

lee n. field
December 27, 2003, 11:23 AM
Check here too:

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

"Here are some ports of common GNU utilities to native Win32. In this context, native means the executables do only depend on the Microsoft C-runtime (msvcrt.dll) and not an emulation layer like that provided by Cygwin tools."

grep is included.

jimpeel
December 27, 2003, 03:25 PM
http://tucows.com has plenty of free utilities you can use.

DaveB: Windows Explorer can find "Windows CE" but the same search term won't pick up a phrase like "we use Windows version CE 3.0".Also, to get Windows Explorer to find multiple search terms, separate them with commas i.e. CE, 3.0, windows, certification, etc. This will find all files that contain any of the terms. The commas are an OR term.

If you want it to find "Windows AND CE AND certification" in a file simply enter it that way without the quotes unless it is a multiple word string like "we use Windows version CE 3.0". You can mix AND and OR terms like this "Windows, CE AND certification, 3.0. "we use Windows version CE 3.0".

This would find all files that contain

Windows

OR

CE AND Certification

OR

OR

we use Windows version CE 3.0

Hawk
December 27, 2003, 10:31 PM
AskSam 5.1 might be worth a look, too.

http://www.asksam.com/

You likely have to batch import the html files but it does support all kinds of spiffy searches. There's an eval version so you won't be out any coin until you know it works.

geekWithA.45
December 28, 2003, 12:04 AM
Use the grep, Luke! Become one with the regular expressions!

Raistlin
December 28, 2003, 09:54 AM
Here's one for the Windows crowd:

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

It's called Agent Ransack, and it's freeware. Uses regexes, so us Linux folks condemned to use Windows at work can have our cake and click it, too. :D

Quartus
December 28, 2003, 11:25 AM
So, has anyone noticed that Jim doesn't appear to be folliwing this thread anymore? :D

I think he must have found something that works.

Raistlin, does Ransack work with other than text files?

Jim March
December 28, 2003, 04:56 PM
Ya, you know what I ended up having to do?

Figure out where somebody had stashed the memo archive on the web in plain HTML format, and use google to search it.

Windows GREP can't do a logical "AND". It can do "OR" but not "AND"? Weird. Windows "Find" VERSION 98 cannot do "logical AND"...yes, I tried.

I was also out of town for a couple days :).

jimpeel
December 28, 2003, 05:41 PM
Windows Explorer WILL do an AND or an OR search. See my post on page one.

I was under the impression that the files were local. Are they on the Web or local? If Web, then WE is out of the question.

Google is okay but Copernic is better for searching.

Raistlin
December 28, 2003, 08:41 PM
Raistlin, does Ransack work with other than text files?

Unfortunately, no. :(

I work with a lot of text files daily, and without some type of regex utility, I'd never get much done - that's why my programming language of choice these days is Perl.

Quartus
December 28, 2003, 09:44 PM
I don't grok perl yet, but I do know enough to see its usefulness.

Someday...

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advanced computer techie help, for a political purpose..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!