My First One

PDA

napp
December 7, 2010, 09:46 AM
As the title says. It was delivered yesterday. 1860 Colt (Pietta) Army.

Happily, the wedge came out with the second light tap from a rawhide hammer. I had been concerned about that after reading many accounts from people who received Piettas with "frozen" wedges. It turned out to be a non-problem.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/silvergto/P1010271.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "My First One" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
messerist
December 7, 2010, 01:42 PM
Classic lines. Enjoy shooting it and issue a range report. Welcome to the darkside!:evil:

rocky branch
December 7, 2010, 06:43 PM
I recently got a god deal on one of these that had a tight wedge.
Examination revealed the inside of the arbour had a big burr or was incorrectly machined at the front inside edge.
Some work with a file fixed this right up.

You might want to note any wear on the cylinder notches where the bolt holds it,
Some think the bolts are too wide ands need thinning.

If the notches are being "mashed" on both sides, there is an issue.

GeoffC
December 7, 2010, 08:48 PM
yeah, I can almost say with 100% certainty that the bolt is not propperly fitted on all of the pietta 18xx guns... Other than that, they're golden generally.

Nice piece. That's the first cap and ball I ever had as well. Get ready to get another, you will shortly.

Arkansas Paul
December 7, 2010, 08:48 PM
Pretty.
I will join the club very soon hopefully.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First One" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!