S&W .38 has mods but what type

PDA

Samari Jack
December 8, 2010, 10:50 PM
I have a 38 Special with no model name that according to the serial numbers was built in 1973. Six shot, 4" barrel. fixed rear and red ramp front site. My guess is that it spent some time in a holster on the street by LE as the bluing is a little warn off at the end of the barrel.

The thing about this gun is it is set up to fit me perfectly. Trigger pull on single action feels like about 2.5 lbs. Frankly, single action might be a scosh too light. Double action is smooth and also quite easy. I wouldn't want to change a thing on the gun but would like for my other wheel guns to have the same treatment.

I checked the screws with 10x jewelers loop and could just tell that it had been apart but not by a pawhanderlike me.

Any reliable gun smiths out there? preferably close to home but All USA is not out of the question.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .38 has mods but what type" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
December 9, 2010, 01:41 AM
It's a little hard to tell which would be close to home when you don't have a location listed in your profile

SaxonPig
December 9, 2010, 03:12 PM
A 1973 Smith will have a model number stamped on it. Hard to make suggestions about anything when I really have no idea which model gun you have.

Samari Jack
December 9, 2010, 07:45 PM
Sorry about lack of info. I live in North Carolina between Winston-Salem and Salisbury.

See attached photo (hope it worked)

SN D633747

Iggy
December 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
Looks like a Model 10 heavy barrel. Previous owner could have done the front site insert with kit from Brownells. Trigger started out great and could have smoothed to where it is by dry firing or a trigger job by most any good gun crank.

You just got one of the good ones.

SaxonPig
December 10, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yup. HB Model 10 (I am guessing a 10-6).

These don't need anything extra to do what they were meant to do.

Jim K
December 10, 2010, 01:31 PM
Sure you are looking in the right place for the model number? It should be on the frame under the crane, visible when the cylinder is swung out.

Most S&Ws of that era have a factory SA pull of just about 2 3/4 pounds. You might or might not be able to find a gunsmith to smooth up your other guns, but it they are S&W's or Colts I strongly advise not messing with the SA trigger pull.

Jim

Samari Jack
December 10, 2010, 03:27 PM
I have still got a lot to learn about S&W pistols and pistols in general. I added more pictures (compressed). The number D633747 is at the bottom of grip. The number under the crane (a new term for me) is "MOD. 10-6". The number on the crane is 73791 with what looks like a poorly stamped half an 8 and larger double struck G3. All are hard to see, especially the Mod. 10-6 as I need magnification to read it.

Iggy
December 10, 2010, 03:41 PM
The only numbers on the newer models that mean anything to anyone other than the guys assembling the guns are the Model number which you found and the serial number on the butt.

Your gun probably shipped in 1973-1974.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .38 has mods but what type" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!