I'm a Colt Cobra owner!

PDA

nwilliams
December 9, 2010, 02:11 AM
So I decided to pick up this Colt Cobra today at my local shop. They wanted $400 for it and I was a bit hesitant because usually I like to research a gun before I buy to see if I'm getting a good deal or not but I went with my gut instinct and made an impulse buy. Even if I paid a little more than I should have I'm very happy with it and I think it will make a nice shooter and carry gun.

Here's some pics.....
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/Colt%20Cobra/Cobra-1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/Colt%20Cobra/Cobra-2.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/Colt%20Cobra/Cobra-3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm a Colt Cobra owner!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
David E
December 9, 2010, 03:17 AM
I'd say you made out VERY WELL !!

RippinSVT
December 9, 2010, 04:12 AM
Awesome! I have a 4" blued King Cobra, love it as well. Pretty much any Colt under $500, and you're doing ok.

ArchAngelCD
December 9, 2010, 04:37 AM
Is that the original finish? I like those grips, they would look good on my Colt Detective...

nwilliams
December 9, 2010, 07:01 AM
Is that the original finish? I like those grips, they would look good on my Colt Detective...

The grips are great! They are soft rubber and extremely comfy! I believe the they are Jay Scott grips, which would make sense since I believe the Jay Scott company was owned by Colt or at least had some sort of business dealings with them at one time.

I'm not sure what the deal is on the finish, the frame has more of a dull finish while the barrel and cylinder have a shinier finish. Maybe they're all like this, I'm no expert on Colt Cobra's this is the first one I've even ever handled. Either way I'm not overly concerned even if it has been refinished at some point, I didn't buy it because of it's collectors value I was looking for something to shoot and maybe carry on occasion.

snooperman
December 9, 2010, 09:57 AM
I have one but is much older than yours and like the little Colt snubby with 6 shots. Many of the later Cobra guns had a finish like yours. Congrats on a fine lightweight self defense gun. Have fun.

joe_security
December 9, 2010, 10:37 AM
Thats a nice Colt to add to your stable ! Excellent carry gun. Let us know how it shoots.

Old Fuff
December 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
The frame is aluminum, where the barrel, cylinder and crane are steel. The two kinds of metal were polished/finished differently. Had you bought an all-steel Detective Special instead of a Cobra the finish on all parts would match. Not to worry, most aluminum/steel revolvers look like your Cobra.

Guillermo
December 9, 2010, 11:00 AM
Not to worry, most aluminum/steel revolvers look like your Cobra.

not mine :(

beautiful Cobra

really good price too

Lucky Derby
December 9, 2010, 11:01 AM
Very nice

Ala Dan
December 9, 2010, 11:39 AM
You lucky devil, the Cobra is the only Colt D-frame that I do not own~!

Old Fuff
December 9, 2010, 11:51 AM
Not to worry, most aluminum/steel revolvers look like your Cobra.

not mine

I have a can of spray paint... :neener: :D

Guillermo
December 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
I have a can of spray paint.

what color?

:uhoh:

Old Fuff
December 9, 2010, 12:26 PM
What color you want??? :evil:

doc540
December 9, 2010, 12:29 PM
Not overpriced, but a good deal.

Of course, mine's prettier.:neener:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Cobra%202/DSCN0967-1.jpg

nwilliams
December 9, 2010, 03:21 PM
The frame is aluminum, where the barrel, cylinder and crane are steel. The two kinds of metal were polished/finished differently. Had you bought an all-steel Detective Special instead of a Cobra the finish on all parts would match. Not to worry, most aluminum/steel revolvers look like your Cobra.

Ah that would explain it, thanks for the info!

I can see from looking at doc540's that it has the same finish difference. I forgot that these were aluminum and steel guns.

Guillermo
December 9, 2010, 03:48 PM
mine seems to be several colors, from silver through grey and some brown too

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/BillLoeb/IMGP2269.jpg

(I have new grips ordered and yes she needs a good cleaning.)

jdub3
December 9, 2010, 04:01 PM
Wow, that is a nice gun. I would have jumped on it at that price as well. Congrats. How's the trigger?

nwilliams
December 9, 2010, 05:11 PM
How's the trigger?

The trigger is great even on double action I like it's nice!

There is also no cylinder play at all, this thing locks up like a bank vault!

bannockburn
December 9, 2010, 06:45 PM
nwilliams

Any Colt revolver, in that kind of condition, and in particular a D frame snubbie, is a steal at that price. Congratulations on a great buy.

Taurus_9mm
December 9, 2010, 07:19 PM
Beautiful Colt and looks like she'd do the business as a range gun and/or for home defense. :)

TrakHack
December 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
Very nice and a great deal!

I've got two Cobras and zero desire to shoot any other gun. I love them.

seantyler09
December 9, 2010, 09:19 PM
Gotta love a Colt. I will get one someday, enjoy your great purchase.

TriTone
December 9, 2010, 09:34 PM
Congrats! I think i would have gobbled it up as well! Enjoy :)

Marshall
December 10, 2010, 12:23 AM
Great gun!

I have a 4" Colt King Cobra in Hi-Bright Stainless that I absolutely adore. Best balanced gun I own and oh what a trigger and action!!!

Congrats! :)

MartinS
December 10, 2010, 12:21 PM
Guillermo: New grips? Just get the leopard thong that goes with those grips and be done with it. Style counts.

Jon Coppenbarger
December 10, 2010, 10:45 PM
I love the small frame colt revolvers. the actions are very smooth!!
I have a early cobra and two detectives. the one I carry sometimes is a early first gen. detective with the colt plastic grips and love it.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm a Colt Cobra owner!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!