Rifle actions....

PDA

tackleberry45
December 9, 2010, 04:01 PM
So I am BS'ing with the folks at an LGS when a mini war of words comes out. The topic "which rifle action is better" If you look at my past threads you will see that I have a 25-06 as my only rifle right now. Is there a thread or reference that discusses this?? Mauser claw, Remington, "old Winchester" etc...??

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle actions...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
December 9, 2010, 04:12 PM
Depends on the use

For hunting I prefer the Ruger as it's purely a modern Mauser

For target work I vastly prefer a single shot savage, floating bolt head and quick change bbls

GURU1911
December 10, 2010, 12:02 AM
Having built several rifles over the past 25 years, my favorites are the remington model 721,722, & the 700. However, a howa 1500 in .30-06 was the one i chose for my father-in-law. Purchased a howa 1500 barreled action & installed it in a bell & carlson black carbelite stock. Installed a 3x9 burris fullfield scope in a set of leupold dual dovetailed bases & rings. Custom features:

*recut, lapped, & polished muzzle crown @ 45 degrees
*accra-glassed the receiver & free floated barrel .005" in the forearm.
*sprayed stock with 5 coats black wrinkle finish
* lapped the scope rings & bubble leveled the scope to the bases.
*detail polished trigger components, reassembled, & adjusted to 2.25 lbs with no creep & no over travel.

The howa 1500 has all the best features of the winchester model 70, remington model 700, & the sako all rolled into one beautiful package. I heartily endorse their product.

Zak Smith
December 10, 2010, 01:25 AM
If you look at the rifles shot by the top competitors in various disciplines, the actions are rarely the ones listed in this thread so far.

Hangingrock
December 10, 2010, 10:59 AM
Is it your intent or whish to emulate a certain venue of marksmanship? Establish your parameters of usage. One could easily spend $2500.00 on optics alone. Or one may spend a thousand dollars or less for a rifle and optic combination that is satisfactory for their needs. It’s all dependent on use.

SwampWolf
December 10, 2010, 02:32 PM
For hunting I prefer the Ruger as it's purely a modern Mauser

Me too. Mine have all been plenty accurate ( a couple of them very accurate), reliable, nice handling and good-looking to boot. Also, and important to me, my experience with Ruger's customer service has been commendable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle actions...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!