Need help on info for press

PDA

Tallen
December 10, 2010, 02:07 PM
Can anyone give me background or value of this Hollywood press

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help on info for press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
flashhole
December 10, 2010, 05:29 PM
It's a Hollywood Senior single stage press. Nice press but they work better with a handle. They typically sell on evilBay between $150-$200. Without the handle you would be lucky to get $75. The Senior Turret goes for much more money.

Tallen
December 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
I have the handle and a bunch of dies & adaptors that allow it to take RCBS dies.

flashhole
December 10, 2010, 08:34 PM
Is this one made of steel or aluminum? If you don't already handload you have an excellent press to start a new hobby with.

Are the dies made by Hollywood also?

Tallen
December 10, 2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks,

Some of the dies are marked CH ( I assume for this press ). The press has a aluminum base. I already reload and most of all my tools are RCBS. I am trying to down size a pile of stuff that an old wildcater passed away and left me.

Tim

flashhole
December 10, 2010, 09:12 PM
You won't have any trouble selling the press. Post it on any forum classified section for a reasonable price and it will sell quickly. It should take any standard 7/8-14 die regardless of manufacturer. It's a plus that you have the adapter that allows it to take RCBS type shell holders.

rfwobbly
December 11, 2010, 10:13 PM
The C-H dies are made by C-H who are still in business. They make nice stuff, they just don't get the "press" that RCBS and Hornady do.

Tallen
December 15, 2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all of the info..

I listed the set on our local Craigslist and now we will wait..

Funshooter45
December 15, 2010, 05:52 PM
Over the past couple months, I was watching eBay hoping for a bargain on a Classic Turret. No luck there, but while doing all that searching and researching, I got to find out quite a bit about presses in general. I was quite surprised at the prices that some of the old presses would bring. Some presses made by companies that are long out of business were still going for $200.

But eBay prices are a mystery in themselves. I routinely saw used presses sell for more money than what I could buy a brand new one of the exact same model at Midway or some other store. And some of the shipping costs they quote there are outrageous. Once in a very great while I would see an apparent bargain slip through, but not often and never what I was looking for.

It was pretty interesting finding out about the old presses from the 60's and 70's though.

Tallen
December 15, 2010, 11:52 PM
It really is amazing..

It is too bad that the old timer that passed away and left this press before I could pick his brain. I know he was a true shooter and loyal to the one of a kinders.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help on info for press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!