Camp Perry Advice - Service Rifle

PDA

Lovesbeer99
December 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
I've never been but I'd like to make the trip this year. How do I find out where to stay, some good advice, places to eat, events to make sure I don't miss?

I've found some good advice on equipment but that's about it.

Also, is it better so shoot the first week, or the second week?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Camp Perry Advice - Service Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dzelenka
December 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
If you shoot service rifle, THE week to shoot is CMP week. Get there on the Friday before and go to the Small Arms Firing School that is put on by the Army Marksmanship Unit. It is worth doing at least your first time. The must shoot matches are the National Trophy Individual, Presidents and Hearst. If you have any old military rifles, the "Games begin on Thursday with the Carbine match followed by the Springfield/Vintage Bolt gun and M1 Garand matches. You will end up shooting for a solid week with 1300+ other service rifle shooters. It is like a pilgrimage to Mecca for service rifle shooters. As far as accommodations, you can stay in the huts on base or at a motel either in Port Clinton or one of the nearby towns. Just remember that you need to be close enough to get to the range for daybreak or a bit before. There really is not much to say about the food. It is all tasteless Yankee fare. When I am up there, I eat for sustenance rather than taste.

My biggest recommendation is to get in touch with your local match director and state association highpower director and see if they can point you to others that are going. It is a lot of fun to go as a group. We usually have around 20 or so from Louisiana and most of us stay in the same condos. It is quite the party. :)

ReadyontheRight
December 11, 2010, 12:17 AM
Good advice above. Except that us Northerners like simple fare like Walleye and Perch. Check out Jolly Rogers in Port Clinton. :D

The huts are quite the experience. And they seem to be going away. The Camp Perry Huts, an early wake-up and the shooter shuttle to the on-site breakfast cafe and a pre-dawn walk to the range for a day of shooting are an experience we all need.

The "Games" are only going to get more popular.

wanderinwalker
December 11, 2010, 07:18 AM
It is like a pilgrimage to Mecca for service rifle shooters.

AMEN to that! :cool:

Seriously, see if any of your fellow local shooters are going and get in with them. Try to come up with a team for the NTIT on Thursday. It is a hoot and all great fun to shoot. The other must shoot matches have already been outlined, so I won't go over them again. And Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) is definitely a must on your first trip out.

I was with the NH State Team this year (we were in the huts, anybody else who was there probably knows who and where we were... ;) ) and it was an awesome experience. We did our own cooking right there, which would be a shame for the huts to completely disappear because it would stop that kind of thing. While the huts are dingy and bare, you are close to everything and surrounded by other shooters.

The other thing is, be prepared for the shock to the system. "Pre-dawn walk" means be on the assigned firing range and near your firing point at 6:30 to get ready for muster. Colors at 7 AM and then get to shooting.

It truly is a great experience and every Service Rifle shooter has to do it at least once.

Soupy44
December 11, 2010, 08:26 AM
I've never been for service rifle, just smallbore, but I agree with above. Try to find someone to go with who knows what they're doing. There's so much going on it is a lot to take in and a bit more than we can explain in a post. I'd stay on base (in the huts) your first time out. It's just an experience you should have.

I'm 25 and will miss Perry next summer for a friend's wedding. It will be only the 2nd time in my life I haven't made it. My mom has been every year since the late 60s early 70s.

Lovesbeer99
December 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies but I have a few follow up questions if you don't mind.

1. How much do the huts costs and how do I make reservations? Are the huts single occupency? Is my gear safe in the huts?
2. According to the schedule I found on line it looks like the presidents, NTI and Hearst are only 3 days of shooting. Then I can shoot the carbine match which I won't, and on Thursday shoot the Springfield Bolt (which I would love). Is it worth staying for the awards ceremony? Especially if I don't win?
3. When should I make reservations? Is it too late now?

Jon Coppenbarger
December 11, 2010, 11:09 AM
OK I will try to answer a few questions for you. First off you must realize that the huts and mods are given out on a priority basis. First priority will be given to state teams who the year before fielded JUNIOIR teams and the list goes on from there.

As Dan said earlier please if planning on staying on base get together with the folks who run your teams from your state as they can make most all your arangements.

If staying on base you can not even apply for several more months but off base nothing like getting your plans set as soon as you can. my suggestion is to stay on base as makes life a whole lot easier. also as suggested unless you have shot alot of matches the small arms firing school is the wy to go plus it lets you fire the first match which is on sunday (m16EIC match)
not sure on the current prices on base but the huts are like $48 a day and can sleep up to 4. two folks in a hut is nice and 3 is OK but four folks makes it very uncomfy when you all are trying to keep all your stuff in it also. also going with a group is nice as they usually have everything you need like (AIR CONDITIONING).
The mods are for two people and run like $60 plus a night but usually are very hard to get into unless with a state team. beds and air and a bathroom. they have other room types but not sure what they run. off base has some good choices also but you spend alot of time travelling and getting up earlier where you could get a little longer time to sleep as the days are longgggggggg.

Jolly rogers is one of my first stops for lake fish. but lots of food choices in town plus a few vendors set up for lunches and dinner on base.

The second week you will not have much problems getting a place to stay on base (NRA week) as it usually has something like 600 shooters compared to way over 1200 of more everyday of the first week (CMP week). NRA days are shorter due to less shooters and less relays.

My advice basicly is if you are shooting a service rifle shoot the CMP week.

What state are you in?

Lovesbeer99
December 11, 2010, 12:07 PM
I live in NJ. I shoot service rifle at my club but I'm not too buddy buddy with anyone speical. We are all just friends at the range. There is a groups that goes up there every year, maybe I should try to hook up with them. Most of my friends who shoot are more into tactical or 3 gun type stuff which does not interest me as much.

Any hotels I should look at or purposely stay away from?

Thanks again.

Soupy44
December 11, 2010, 12:54 PM
The town of Port Clinton LOVES the national matches. A few years back someone suggested not allowing Camp Perry to host them any more and the Chamber of Commerce up there raised hell to make sure that idea was crushed.

1) I second, again, staying on base. It really does make life easier. The huts are safe. The nice thing about the shooting community is we are honest folks. I've left $3000 in smallbore gear behind the line and left for 30min for lunch and didn't think twice about it.

2) Shoot as much as you'd like/can afford. It's a great experience up there. As for the awards ceremony, imagine you did win something, but only the folks who won showed up. Would you like an applause from a dozen folks or a whole room. I've always seen it as you go to pay your dues and cheer the folks who win so that when you win, there are folks there to present the same cheer for you. I used to take juniors up there for smallbore and I told them if they didn't go to award night, they wouldn't come back the next year, but I'm mean like that.

Talk with the group that goes next time you see them and say you're interested in Perry. I bet they'd be more than happy to introduce you to Perry. Tag along with whatever they do this coming year, and if you'd like to do things differently in 2012, then you'll know enough to make your own decisions.

dzelenka
December 11, 2010, 02:00 PM
I absolutely agree that you should try to shoot on a team on Thursday if you can. Team shooting is great fun. I didn't mention it because I was thinking more of individual matches. If your state has a team, but does not have a shooting slot, volunteer to be captain. We have learned that having a captain who is not shooting makes everything easier on the shooters. Captains take care of the paperwork and keep up with the scores.

I cannot comment on staying in the huts as I have not done so. This will be my 8th year at Perry. I am 50 and I like my comfort. My friends and I rent some condos/lodges on Catawba Point. It is a little drive from Perry but we find it is nice to get away for a little while. We make our reservations for the next year on our way out for the present year. Frankly, we have stayed there so many years that we just have a standing reservation.

On the food issue, my comments were somewhat of a jest. My crew all come from south Louisiana where they cook with way more spice than salt and pepper. A lot of the food up there is pretty bland by our standards.

The only other thing I can say is that if you have any interest, you need to just do it. It will become the highlight of your summer. I see friends from all over the country year after year. It is a great time.

Dan

PS Bring money. CMP will tempt you, and it is hard to get out of commercial row without finding something that you need.

taliv
December 11, 2010, 06:22 PM
i stayed off-base my first year at perry. didn't like it.
I stayed in a hut year before last (didn't make it this year) because the barracks were closed. the huts are ok.
I've stayed in the barracks every year except my first and last years. The barracks are like $10/night (or something like that) and i've never found them crowded or inconvenient.

definitely go to SAFS. Praslik is a riot.. i still smile when i see small coastal-plains heads.

ReadyontheRight
December 11, 2010, 07:29 PM
I forgot about venders row. All the high power shooting equipment suppliers are there. Also, you can go pick out your own CMP rifle at the CMP store. www.odcmp.org

Lovesbeer99
December 11, 2010, 10:17 PM
Soupy44 - on your point #2. I'd like to say that I'm with you. If I make it to Perry this year, I'll stay for the ceremony. And the year after too.

All good stuff.

Jon Coppenbarger
December 13, 2010, 12:52 AM
If you decide to go stop by and say hi! I am easy to find. I stayed off base the first two years but the place is closed up now and the next couple of years I stayed at one of the resorts which was not to bad. (bar was just a couple of doors down).
Stayed in the mods after that untill this last year when I stayed in a hut for the first time and actually it seemed to be about the best arrangment I have had. I was only there a week but by room mate was set up on commercial row and he was there from small bore threw long range. Rented a large refer from the rental place in town for the whole time and it worked out about the same as buying ice over that time. They delivered it to the front door of the hut also. LOL
Did not get out on the islands this year but used to take a day off and head out and rent a golf cart and cruise around the islands. Always try to do one night at MON AMI winery/resturant for the buffet.

Nice to talk about it this time of year!

Lovesbeer99
December 13, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ok, when does registration start? When can I start signing up and making reservations?
How do I reserve a hut or anything on the base?

dzelenka
December 13, 2010, 03:16 PM
If you are off base, I would make those reservations now or in the near future. Registration for the matches is usually in April. The CMP will announce it. Get on their mailing list.

Jon Coppenbarger
December 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
if you go to the cmp web site and click on national matches you will get prices and the whole works . just figure all the dates will be about the same time frame.

Lovesbeer99
December 14, 2010, 06:06 AM
No one recommended camping tent sites? Sounds like an option.

It looks like most of the best options are to share rooms with people. I'll have to check around my club to see if anyone needs a room mate.

lonegunman
December 19, 2010, 11:47 PM
I have been there several times, mostly for pistol and once for rifle. CMP week is far more interesting, especially the Garand and military bolt rifle matches, the P100 and NTI as well. I'd stay on base for the experience, everyone is there and every loves shooting.

Jolly Rogers will be packed every night, but Andy's has dessert waiting for you just up the road. Best goodies anywhere. I bought hoagie rolls and locally made lunch meat and enjoyed my own lunchs on the line every day. Pack well because your time on the firing line will be considerable.

Jon Coppenbarger
December 21, 2010, 08:17 PM
ANDYs ice cream yummy!!

dzelenka
December 21, 2010, 11:17 PM
We stay down at the end of the road that andy's is on by the ferry.

RudeMood
December 24, 2010, 12:35 AM
This sounds like something I may like. Does anyone have a link to more info.? Thanks in advance.

pmeisel
December 24, 2010, 01:17 AM
Haven't been in town in a couple years, but I like the food at the Island House in Port Clinton, Mendoza's (cheap but authentic Mexican, low on frills)... a little drive across the Bay Bridge to Sandusky brings a boatload of food choices...... The Garden in Port Clinton is nice also.

Jon Coppenbarger
December 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
When I used to shoot both weeks a few would take like the sat or sun off between the cmp and nra weeks. We would eat the breakfast buffet at the island house (something about prime rib for breakfast that starts the day out well). Then walk across the street and catch the ferry to PUT-IN-BAY. And other times off down the road and catch the ferry to kelly's island. We would spend the day over there by renting one of the golf cart vehicals they have for rent and cruise the islands. we would get the 4 person carts. lunch at one of the wineries or a nice fun returaunt of the bay. great views and history.

jpwilly
December 24, 2010, 11:16 AM
There really is not much to say about the food. It is all tasteless Yankee fare. When I am up there, I eat for sustenance rather than taste.

Bring up some of your bbq then!

Offfhand
December 24, 2010, 11:38 AM
Several years ago, on a sunday off at Perry, I took a ride on a Ford Tri-Motor out of Catabaw. Don't know if it is still in operation, but if so it's worth checking out and taking a ride. After all, how many people do you know who have flown in a Tri-Motor.

leadcounsel
December 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
I lucked out once driving through there during a competition week and the hours of the rifle store were extended. Really lucked out on that one and was able to hand pick a great rifle.

Word to the wise, CCW is illegal there. AND they have a metal detector on your way OUT of the rifle store.

Arto
December 26, 2010, 06:41 PM
Be sure to stop at the Remington Factory (just of Rte 90) for the awesome (free!) Tour.
Watch your next gun being made!

It's the same exit for the Baseball H.O.F. if you're heading east
(This was in the AAA book for NY)
http://www.remington.com/pages/our-company/our-company/company-info/ilion-firearms-plant.aspx

NRA-Highmaster
December 27, 2010, 11:44 AM
I think your compass is off Arto :-) CP is in Ohio

Arto
December 27, 2010, 02:19 PM
Remington's on the way going/returning for New Englanders! probably for New Jerseyites too
[so are the Baseball, Pro-Football & Rock-n-Roll Halls of Fame ;)

NRA-Highmaster
December 27, 2010, 08:09 PM
o i c

pmeisel
January 6, 2011, 12:14 AM
Offhand, that TriMotor crashed a few years back. A collector bought it and I think is restoring it somewhere, but its not flying in that area anymore. I took a ride in it when I was young. My mother, who was a flight instructor, got invited to sit in front on the ride. That was probably 40 years ago, or close. My mom celebrated her 87th last week.

250Keith
January 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi folks I'm new to this site, love this tread, is there any RV parking or RV places to stay at that are close to CP? thanks.

cavman
January 17, 2011, 05:30 PM
Yes. Looks like around $38 per night. They are a few hundred yards from the ranges

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=241&Itemid=38

And if you want to use the shower areas, RVs can use them also
http://www.cplcc.com/rates.html

250Keith
January 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
Very cool! thanks for the info.

stork
January 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
I've had the opportunity to attend the Pistol phase of the National Matches 3 times. First time was off base in a nearby motel (least favorite), the next time was in a cottage (the best), and the last time was in a module (second best).

The cottage comes with everything you need except food and firearm related stuff. 2 beds, AC, cable tv, kitchen with all utinsels, bathroom, and cleaning.

The module is like a motel room with twin beds, a bathroom, and AC. Our group started out reserving a couple of huts but kept calling to see if any modules or cottages opened up. Because peoples plans change you can upgrade without any penalty, but you have to call daily to see if there are any new openings.

I keep thinking I want to try the huts, just for the experience, but I'm not sure I want to rough it that much. I'm getting more appreciative of my comforts.

250Keith
January 18, 2011, 05:19 PM
So has anybody done the RV thing at Perry? how was it? I'm just trying to get a feel for it, lots of hiking? I have never been so thats why I have an interest. Thanks.

cavman
January 18, 2011, 09:52 PM
I have been three years in the Huts and last summer in a Clarion motel over by Fremont. (with girlfriend so I got the nicest room I could find).

I don't make it over to the RV area often, but if I recall you should be a good 5-10 minute walk. When in the hut I just put essentials in the gun box and walk over.

I think the "geezer" cart would be the best bet from the RV area.

250Keith
January 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
A geezer cart! I dont need one yet HaHa. I cant wait to shoot there. Been wanting to go forever.

cavman
January 19, 2011, 09:03 AM
This is the "geezer cart" that I was referring to.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-PRO_KART_BLACK_W_15__WHEELS-3286.aspx

The trick is of course the large wheels that can easily go over the rutty conditions of the fields.

I see them loaded with their gun boxes, chairs, and what nots. They are pretty common. Makes a walk a little easier than lugging.

That is why I get a hut, to be nice and close! :)

250Keith
January 19, 2011, 09:55 AM
Thats funny you posted that I was just doing a search for shooting carts.

Soupy44
January 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
The RV park is only a minute or two further away than the huts. It's very new, built only a few years ago. It's closer to the clubhouse and beach if that interests you. I'd say as long as you stay on base, you'll be pleased.

Lovesbeer99
January 19, 2011, 08:25 PM
Take a look at the jarheadtopcom website and browse around for the articles by boots obermeyer. He gives a very specifid list of items to bring to perry, some of them I still can't figure out.

I like the cart, nice touch.

I was looking to buy a pop up trailer this year so maybe I'll just get one and stay at the RV site.

pmeisel
January 20, 2011, 08:03 AM
If you have a little spare time bring some fishing tackle. I used to fish the pier at Camp Perry, 20 years ago..... and there is a public fishing pier in Port Clinton. If it's convenient to trailer a small boat, even better.

Jon Coppenbarger
January 20, 2011, 09:34 AM
the list was put up by a friend of mine but it really pertains to staying in the old huts for the things it list.
Now I ve stayed off base at a resort and it was nice , very nice but that extra 15 minutes or so to get to where you would of been anyway and then hauling you stuff around and leaving alot of it in you vehical may be a problem. I have know a few folks who lost things with a car break in, not common but does happen off base. stayed in a few hotels and kind of a hassel.

The mods are nice but cramped with two folks. I stayed in the huts for the first time last year and actually found them to be OK if you have everything you need. two people in them gave us alot of room without being crowded. bath and shower about 60 seconds from the door and close to everything.

are the RV spaces still on the far east side of the base in that large parking area? was over there visiting a friend but that was like 5 years ago and was wondering if they built them closer?

If you enjoyed reading about "Camp Perry Advice - Service Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!