It's a good day for reloading

PDA

GaryL
December 11, 2010, 01:06 PM
Since I won't be doing much else, besides shoveling:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=132029&stc=1&d=1292087049

If you enjoyed reading about "It's a good day for reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
floydster
December 11, 2010, 01:09 PM
GaryL,
I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat:)
Nice pic.

Walkalong
December 11, 2010, 01:09 PM
What is that white stuff?

HOWARD J
December 11, 2010, 01:13 PM
I did that yesterday !!!!!!!!!!!
It has gone to 36 deg.---finally warm enuf to stay outside & winterize my 5 gasoline
garden tools.
Reloading will have to wait........bummer..

GaryL
December 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat
I just noticed your thread about the same topic.

Nice pic.
Thanks.

Sort of...

:banghead:

bigtony
December 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Got it here in NE too, but to add to my misery I lay here on the couch with the stomach flu. yeah First time I've been sick in awhile. At least it isn't the kids sick.

THe Dove
December 11, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hey Bigtony, you should've ended your post with "yet". Hope they don't get it though.

My 1st duty station was at the Federal Building in Bemidji, MN in Oct/1990-93. That was the coldest place on earth to me. I loved the people and met my wonderful wife of 17 years there but I don't miss the freakin winters! Once the snow hit and stuck there (each October) I didn't see the ground till April or May of the next year.

The Dove

jfh
December 11, 2010, 05:07 PM
I haven't been out all day--and that's fine by me. The snow might have cut back, but the blowing's picked up here in Maple Plain.

About 12" AFAICT without closer inspection.

The cat and I will take another nap.

Jim H.

rfwobbly
December 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
Gosh, Gary. High taxes, a comedian for a senator, and all that snow.

How'd you get so lucky ?

:neener:

wrench
December 11, 2010, 05:54 PM
Yep, over a foot at my house:uhoh:
I've shoveled and blown snow once already today, and looking out the window, you can't tell.
I've been reloading, oiling bores, generally goofing around, and yes, I think a nap is a fine idea!:D

GaryL
December 11, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hasn't gotten any better. 3 hrs to clear a path to the shed, get the blower going, and the driveway cleared. Temporarily anyway.

Finally, time to make some 9mm.

How'd you get so lucky ?Lets not go there.

orionengnr
December 11, 2010, 07:54 PM
Glass half full...
Getting to be good sleddin' weather. We don't get that much in TX.
I miss it. :(

TH3180
December 11, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yup I have been reloading since noon. I even went to range yesterday to test some new loads so I would have something to do today.

PO2Hammer
December 11, 2010, 09:27 PM
We got about 15"-18" (southeastern MN), now I'm too tired from shoveling/snow blowing to reload.

snuffy
December 11, 2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah, then you send it over here, I can't even see across the street!!:neener: I'll take some pics tomorrow IF I get dug out.

GaryL
December 11, 2010, 11:12 PM
Last I heard, 18.5" for this area (SW suburbs of Mlps), but that was the 6pm news and they said that total was from a couple hours earlier. Has to be close to 2' for a 24 hr period.

armoredman
December 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
I've seen that stuff before, usually in movies or on SnoCones.

cfullgraf
December 12, 2010, 01:22 AM
We are supposed to get an inch or two on Sunday. A half an inch will paralyze east TN. Of course, the weatherman here get very optimistic when it comes to snow.

Maybe I'll finally get to try out the Subaru's AWD.

I have a good backlog of reloading and firearm projects should we get "snowed" in.

CHEVELLE427
December 12, 2010, 01:26 AM
looks like beach sand here=;)

Kevin Rohrer
December 12, 2010, 01:33 AM
My yard will look like that come Monday morning. Thank Gawd I am off till Tuesday nite.

Hondo 60
December 12, 2010, 01:43 AM
Looks like that outside here too!
Man, I gotta find me a wealthy widow who likes shooting!

Then I can spend the winters just outside of Coolidge, AZ & the summers in WI.

1SOW
December 12, 2010, 01:55 AM
It'll be BAD here tomorrow too. It's supposed to get near freezing and only warm up into the 50's. Worse yet, most of the leaves have turned and are starting to fall. :eek:

Will the leaves grow back?? :uhoh:

P.S> (born and raised in Mich.): :neener:

jfh
December 12, 2010, 08:02 AM
Well, last night I heard it had moved on to the Rochester area, then over to you, snuffy. Keep us posted--but stay inside.

Unless you can make it over here to dig me out.

Jim H.

calaverasslim
December 12, 2010, 09:23 AM
I had to ask a forum member what that white stuff is and when he explained, I seem to remember some came our way, way back in 1984. Kinda forgot you have to shovel it, like poop.

However, having said that, my wife sez the only reason I shoot is so I have something to reload. She created a monster in 1978 when she bought me mny first RCBS reloading kit, and I reminder her of that.

So, it's really her fault.

So, bottom line, is any day is a great day to reload

PO2Hammer
December 12, 2010, 11:16 AM
Woke up to 8 more inches, must be close to two feet total. We're just not used to this much snow so early in the season, usually the heavy snows are in March, when you know they can't last
The one year where I'll have four weeks off for Christmas and it's record snow and cold. As long as they get one of the ranges plowed out, I'll be OK.
Time to put that all wheel drive to the test.

snuffy
December 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
Heck, I'll need all wheel drive on my snowblower!:eek: I had to shovel the steps to my door to let the dog out this AM! No, he's not some ankle biter, he's a 120# golden. Didn't want to dive into the drift that was a foot deep on the top step!

It's still snowing, but the radar says it's about to quit. Problem is the 30 MPH wind. You may get blowed/shoveled out, but it'll just drift right shut again.

I'll remember you southern boys next summer when I see those triple digit temps and high humidity. If you would just KEEP it down there next summer, I'd lend you some of this snow right now! We do just fine with 80 degrees and a dew point of 50.:neener:

Walkalong
December 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
I'll remember you southern boys next summer when I see those triple digit temps and high humidityIf we could only trade a truck full or two in August........

420Stainless
December 12, 2010, 01:09 PM
No snow around here, but it was a cold and rainy day. So I spent some time making up some ammo for the .41 mag.

I don't like snow, but I think rain at less than 40 degrees is even more miserable in the short run. At least there isn't any shovel work required after it clears out. Happy loading.:)

GaryL
December 12, 2010, 02:00 PM
As long as they get one of the ranges plowed out, I'll be OK. My range will be done for the better part of the winter now. We get a lot of big drifts, especially on the access road to the pistol/rifle range. Some brave souls with HD off road rigs will often blaze a trail, but that won't be happening for a while now.

Managed about 400 rnds of 9mm. Not a lot, but moving all that snow wears a guy down. Seemed best to take it easy and get it right. On a side note, I finally got a decent mirror setup for checking for powder at the bullet load station. One of those, why didn't I think of that sooner. Previous attempts never worked out very well.

Walkalong
December 12, 2010, 02:02 PM
We are actually having some snow here today. A few flakes here and there coming down. Around here, that qualifies for "snowing". If we get an inch (once every 10 years or so) it is "snowing like L outside". :eek:

GaryL
December 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
Walkalong - where in 'bama are you located? I have a very good friend in the Decatur area.

armoredman
December 12, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hondo, not Coolidge - yuck, drive through there 5 days a week. Get into Casa Grande, fantastic free range south of the town.

Walkalong
December 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
Montgomery, Al.

HOWARD J
December 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
Got 200 30 carbine cases ready to load today.
Yeaterday got the Riding mower, one blower & lawnmower winterized.
Other blower & edger were too cold to start-stuck them in basement for later.
3" of new snow here--it is still coming down real nice--6" expected.
Just another winter in se MI.
They don't let me snowblow anymore---my lucky SIL gets to use
my blower..............................:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I had a 20 or so year old Lyman tumbler( out of balance--noisey)
A new Hornady that made a sound that drove me mad.
I took the Bowl off the Hornady & put it on the Lyman--bingo!!
Nice quiet unit--get lucky sometimes.

Offfhand
December 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
Snow coming down here in Va too. So already loaded 60 rounds of .260 for my DPMS black gun.

richkratz
December 12, 2010, 03:43 PM
rfwobbly wrote:

How'd you get so lucky ?

Technically, wouldn't he have to be funny to be a comedian? Just sayin'.:rolleyes:
Everytime I see anything related to snow and Minnesota, I immediately think of the movie "Fargo"....Oh ya.

TH3180
December 12, 2010, 03:47 PM
I guess we got a little snow. Check out how the Dome didn't like the snow.
http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/nfl-on-fox?vid=ca15cffb-3b66-49a0-84ca-20ed0a175567&from=msnhp&gt1=39002

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/nfl-on-fox?vid=ca15cffb-3b66-49a0-84ca-20ed0a175567&from=msnhp&gt1=39002

Technically, wouldn't he have to be funny to be a comedian? Just sayin'.:rolleyes:
Everytime I see anything related to snow and Minnesota, I immediately think of the movie "Fargo"....Oh ya.
Fargo isn't even in Minnesota

richkratz
December 12, 2010, 04:24 PM
Fargo isn't even in Minnesota

I realize that, but the accents and visuals are identical.:neener:
And, 99% of the movie was shot in MN. You betcha.

Oy2HfixB9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy2HfixB9_8&feature=fvsr)

rfwobbly
December 12, 2010, 05:32 PM
Gary -
Geez Pete! Forecast for the weekend looked fine until you started this thread. It was 54F all yesterday, all night, and up until 9AM this morning. Now the mercury is down around 30F and dropping. And snow is falling. Big chunks and whopper flakes. A record breaker snow storm they warn. All the beer and toilet paper is gone from the stores. (Why Atlantans relate "snow" to needing extra beer and toilet paper is a connection known only to the Almighty.) Anyway, I might miss 2 or more days from work. Weathermen on every channel have already scared everyone off the roads. The interstates are empty. We might actually get an accumulation of 1/8 inch or more! :D

And I'm blaming it all on YOU !! :rolleyes:

If I can find my heavily insulated coat and pants, I'll try to get some photos of this disaster forming here in north Atlanta.

snuffy
December 12, 2010, 05:48 PM
Well it's over, now just blowing and cold.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0213.JPG

Looks like it'll be a while before I can grill/smoke anything on the char-broiler.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0214.JPG

Birds will be needing that feeder now.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0215.JPG

Just a plow bank, but that was just one storm, it wasn't that high all last winter. Where's that global warming,,-- oops I mean climate change!

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0216.JPG

Winter wonderland. If I ever catch that guy singing I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, I'll put him to work shoveling!:cuss:

Hondo 60
December 12, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hondo, not Coolidge - yuck, drive through there 5 days a week. Get into Casa Grande, fantastic free range south of the town.

That sounds even better today!
2nd day of blizzard - temps are falling into the single digits.

More reloading going on today, but I'm darn short on primers.
I've got < 200. I hope tomorrow is clear & dry.
The nearest reloading store is 40 miles away.

The reason I said Coolidge, is that a good friend lives in San Tan Valley.

GaryL
December 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
And I'm blaming it all on YOU !!
I really figured that snowball would melt before it got to you.

:neener:

jfh
December 12, 2010, 06:25 PM
"...More reloading going on today, but I'm darn short on primers...."

Heh. I'm restocked to ca.18K, with another 10K being eyed.

I think I'll go take another nap, although the plowguy got here and did the driveway.

rfwobbly
December 12, 2010, 07:42 PM
OK, it's getting worse.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_E3bV2jGIaSg/TQVX7-dp99I/AAAAAAAAB1M/nzC5PgEBOHg/s720/IMG_4264.JPG

Can you believe it? Drifts in some spots up to 3/16 inch !! I might be out of work for 3 days.

I'd help the wife by alphabetizing the pantry items, but she knows the combination to the gun safe. :eek:

CHEVELLE427
December 12, 2010, 08:59 PM
all this talk of reloading i just had to go reload 100 44mag and 100 10mm,

almost had to turn the heater on .

temp got down to almost 55 so far tonight

TH3180
December 12, 2010, 09:14 PM
all this talk of reloading i just had to go reload 100 44mag and 100 10mm,

almost had to turn the heater on .

temp got down to almost 55 so far tonight
Hell we won't see 55 for months. We got +2 feet of snow and right now it is -5 out. High tomorrow of 1

PO2Hammer
December 12, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hell we won't see 55 for months. We got +2 feet of snow and right now it is -5 out. High tomorrow of 1
Keeps out the riff-raff.

TH3180
December 12, 2010, 10:55 PM
Keeps out the riff-raff.
How true.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/TH3180/L1030565.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/TH3180/L1030567.jpg

CHEVELLE427
December 12, 2010, 11:18 PM
may sound crazy to some of you up north but i would like to have some snow sometimes.:D

but I'm sure i would want it gone like you all do, sorta like northerns coming here for the beach, i could care less about going to the beach.:cool:

guess when your around it all the time you get burn out on it,
would take a nice lake any day over the salt water beach.:D

old saying here is we have 2 seasons ===summer and almost summer====

but the weather guy did say we will have a low of 25 Monday night then back to 70 Wednesday:rolleyes:

GET SICK WEATHER AROUND HERE == HOT - COLD - HOT - COLD = FLU :barf:

1SOW
December 12, 2010, 11:18 PM
calaveras vslim: I live just down the road from you and was here in '84. ALL the interstates and 410 were closed.

re reloading: Sometimes I blame my wife too, but for different reasons.:D

Chevelle 'big block': I lived in Ft Walton Beach for 3 years---same horrible climate here!

TH3180
December 12, 2010, 11:25 PM
may sound crazy to some of you up north but i would like to have some snow sometimes.:D

but I'm sure i would want it gone like you all do, sorta like northerns coming here for the beach, i could care less about going to the beach.:cool:

guess when your around it all the time you get burn out on it,
would take a nice lake any day over the salt water beach.:D

old saying here is we have 2 seasons ===summer and almost summer====

but the weather guy did say we will have a low of 25 Monday night then back to 70 Wednesday:rolleyes:

GET SICK WEATHER AROUND HERE == HOT - COLD - HOT - COLD = FLU :barf:
If you can figure out how to mail me some sunshine, I will figure out to mail you some snow.

I love the snow I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world.

CHEVELLE427
December 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
i think i could get use to the snow and some cooler weather, I HATE THE HEAT.

100-115 heat index kills me from wanting to do anything outside in the summer and I'm in NWFL 95-115 humidity sux in the summer, pool water hits 95 it doesn't even feel good.

JEB
December 13, 2010, 12:49 AM
hey gary, i think were getting the lower part of that storm all the way down here in south east Iowa! we had been having a pretty good run of weather but it hit us hard saturday afternoon. temps took a nosedive, rain snow and sleet in the same day, and it just got flat out cold! today was windchill around -20 with winds around 30mph and blowing snow. our deer season started yesterday so i got to spend today and yesterday walking through all this. wasnt too bad though; just had to put on a LOT of layers!!!!

Tim the student
December 13, 2010, 01:50 AM
Given the temps, I thought it was going to be a good day for reloading too, but we had some stuff come up.

I did make it out for a bit to shoot my new muzzleloader (CVA Wolf, good groups BTW) for a bit though, but then had to get back to that other stuff.

I'm sure I'll have some good days for reloading coming up though!

GaryL
December 13, 2010, 09:38 PM
temps took a nosedive, rain snow and sleet in the same day, and it just got flat out cold! today was windchill around -20 with winds around 30mph and blowing snow. our deer season started yesterday so i got to spend today and yesterday walking through all this. wasnt too bad though; just had to put on a LOT of layers!!!! My son's first year deer hunting was -20* F. No idea what the windchill was. He got a deer too. I don't think he thought that was a lot of fun, but now he's at the AF Academy and wishes he could make it back to hunt.

HOWARD J
December 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
I'm back reloading 30 carbine tonight---MN game- Fox blacked out TV for Detriot metro area.
The tickets were free but the scalpers probably got most of them--the game is at Ford field.
The Lions won yesterday-I guess they were afraid the shock of another game would be too much for us.

rfwobbly
December 13, 2010, 11:35 PM
The Lions won yesterday....

Are they still playing? I thought the Christians figured them out years ago. :D

PO2Hammer
December 13, 2010, 11:41 PM
Not a good day to be a Vikings fan.
Farve out, Jackson hurt, Webb is in, Metrodome down, more talk of moving the team to LA LA land.

jfh
December 13, 2010, 11:44 PM
I thought the World Series was over with.

Jim H.

340PD
December 14, 2010, 10:35 AM
Love it. 500 rounds of .45 acp on a single stage press and enjoying every minute of it. Only stoped to shovel three times between my 2000 pulls of the press arm. 357 is next.

Funshooter45
December 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
It's days like those when you realize you need to purposely leave some brass unloaded and make sure you have plenty of bullets and powder.

The big bad storm pretty much missed us here in Wyoming this time. It's funny when it comes to the weather. I had lived in Wyoming for several years before I moved to west Texas for a few years. The Texans just thought it was horrible to contemplate dealing with weather that got that cold. I would explain to them though that it wasn't much different than dealing with the weather in west Texas. I mean sure there are 2-3 months in Wyoming where the temperature can get so cold on some days that you just can't really do anything outside. But it's not every day like that for the entire winter. It will warm up in between cold spells and you can do fun things outside. Really, it's the same way in West TX in the summertime. There are many days there when it gets over 100 degrees and you just don't feel like doing anything outside. You go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned office and you don't do anything outside unless you absolutely have to. But then it will cool down eventually and you go about your hobbies.

Of course, if you're a farmer or rancher, you don't have much choice in the matter and you have to go out regardless of how it feels.

If you enjoyed reading about "It's a good day for reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!