Storing a glock 19 with slide locked back

PDA

bsctov
December 11, 2010, 05:10 PM
Will it hurt the gun or spring to store the pistol with a loaded magazine and slide locked back, My father was asking me and I didn't want to tell him it will be fine if I don't really know for sure. I think the idea is he wants to have maximum readiness without having a round sitting under the firing pin.

If you enjoyed reading about "Storing a glock 19 with slide locked back" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheProf
December 11, 2010, 05:13 PM
Even with a round in the chamber...the round is not sitting under the firing pin.
There's a firing pin block that is in the way.

AK103K
December 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
You can always just leave the slide closed on an empty chamber with a loaded mag in the gun, and just stroke the slide to charge it.

1KPerDay
December 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
It would be fine. Silly reasoning for it, but it won't hurt the gun.

rcmodel
December 11, 2010, 05:53 PM
It would be far safer to leave a loaded mag in the gun with the slide closed and the trigger snapped.
Takes all of 1/2 second to rack the slide & load it if you need it loaded.

A loaded mag with the slide locked back is an accident waiting to happen if a kid or somebody picks it up and bumps the slide release.

rc

dlee4697
December 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
Why not store it in a safe place with a round in a chamber? The Firing pin in a Glock doesn't line up with the round untill the trigger is being pulled.

Keeping the slide locked back will cause unnecessary stain on the recoil spring. Have you ever seen a gun in a gun store case with the slide locked back? I have not.

bsctov
December 11, 2010, 06:01 PM
No kids around, just stupid adults lol. thanks for the advice guys

REAPER4206969
December 11, 2010, 06:14 PM
Mechanically fine, tactically foolish.

rcmodel
December 11, 2010, 06:44 PM
Why not store it in a safe place with a round in a chamber?Cause if the house catches on fire, the round will cook off and kill the fireman trying to put the fire out?

rc

Jim Watson
December 11, 2010, 06:56 PM
Mine didn't.

Leave the gun loaded. One of the most common occasions for a malfunction ("jam") is while manually manipulating the gun to chamber a round either off the slide stop or by racking the slide. If you start out loaded, the gun will usually reload itself better than you can. Even if it doesn't, you still have that first shot.

roadslug
December 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
How about loaded mag, one in the chamber, pistol in a holster. The gun isn't going to fire unless it's pulled out of the holster. Or invest $100 in a GunVault 1000. I have one and am probably going to get one more.

REAPER4206969
December 11, 2010, 09:23 PM
Cause if the house catches on fire, the round will cook off and kill the fireman trying to put the fire out?
Seriously?

AK103K
December 11, 2010, 09:44 PM
Seriously? Yes. Possibly more than probably though.

Brian Williams
December 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
Either Loaded in a holster or empty chamber with full mag also in a holster.

InkEd
December 12, 2010, 12:10 AM
No offense to the OP but that has to be the silliest idea I've heard in a long time on storing a gun.

REAPER4206969
December 12, 2010, 12:15 AM
Seriously? Yes.
I can't even begin to imagine the odds of that happening.

Balrog
December 12, 2010, 12:20 AM
The Firing pin in a Glock doesn't line up with the round untill the trigger is being pulled.

Now how is that? The firing pin is in line with the round, isn't it?

W.E.G.
December 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
The firing pin is BLOCKED until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear.

http://www.dt-concepts.com/ca/triggerbarfiringpinsafety.mpg

Balrog
December 12, 2010, 12:27 AM
But isnt the firing pin in line with the round, just blocked by the safety?

REAPER4206969
December 12, 2010, 02:09 AM
The Glock firing pin is:

1)Blocked by the firing pin safety.

2)Held on the trigger bar by the drop safety.
and
3)Is only pre-set 34% so even in the mechanically impossible event that the firing pin "slips," it won't have enough energy to detonate the primer anyway.

IBEWBULL
December 12, 2010, 02:26 AM
I really do not think it is a good idea to have the slide locked back in storage.
I do not leave my loaded Glock setting anywhere unholstered. It is just a comfort zone for me. We have no kids or non shooters in the house and I still prefer it this way.
I don't mind a DA or SA auto loaded condition 1 unholstered at all.
Until I got a good Milt Sparks IWB holster I carried the Glock with an empty chamber.
They are not a weapon for a beginner. I never felt concerned in condition 1 with my 1911 in a OWB holster, Askins Avenger was new back then. I don't recall when good IWBs came out.
Good luck.

1goodshot
December 12, 2010, 09:22 AM
What about a new gun, something with a manual saftey? It is Christmas time.

Dogguy
December 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Leave the action closed with a full magazine inserted and the trigger pulled. It's a much safer method than leaving the innards of the gun open to whatever crap can get into it while it's stored someplace.

I'm sure it would not be a pleasant experience to need the gun only to discover pocket change, paper clips and a BIC pen stuck inside the action.

Caliper_RWVA
December 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
A loaded mag with the slide locked back is an accident waiting to happen if a kid or somebody picks it up and bumps the slide release.

No more likely to create an accident than the same person picking up the same gun with a round in the chamber. Bumping the slide release will chamber a round, it will not cause that round to go off unless the trigger is pulled after the slide is closed.

Sounds like what he really wants is a hammer fired pistol. On my P95, I chamber a round, then flip the decocker (mine is decock only). This way the pistol is ready to go in DA mode with a deliberate pull of the trigger, but there is no stored energy in the springs that could cause the round to go off. The hammer is at rest against the back of the frame, the firing pin is held by both the firing pin spring and the trigger block, no way for it to hit the primer.

Seven For Sure
December 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
If you're not going to keep the gun loaded for self defense at home you may as well field strip it and seperate the upper and frame. You could insert the recoil assembly in an orphace of your choice and only you would be able to bring the gun to firing condition. Just joking of course, seriously I'd suggest loading it with a full mag + one in the chamber, put it in a good holster and store it in a safe or any metal locking box where you can get to it in a reasonable amount of time. My brother uses a tool box for pickup trucks bolted to the slab of his house in a closet. When his son gets to be about five or so he will replace it with a safe.

withdrawn34
December 12, 2010, 02:15 PM
But isnt the firing pin in line with the round, just blocked by the safety?

Yes, Mr. Pedantic. It is in "line," but blocked by the pin block. Let's be a bit more productive than picking nits, eh? I think you were well aware what he meant.

To the OP: no need to keep the slide locked back. That is somewhat silly. As long as it is a semi-modern quality handgun, it isn't going to go off when dropped (assuming it hasn't been modified by bubba). Keep one in the chamber.

Balrog
December 12, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yes, Mr. Pedantic. It is in "line," but blocked by the pin block. Let's be a bit more productive than picking nits, eh? I think you were well aware what he meant.

I thought he was saying that the firing pin was not in line with the cartridge. Sorry I misunderstood. I wasn't trying to pick nits, I was trying to understand what he was saying. When he said the firing pin is not in line, that sounds like the firing pin is rotated out of line with the cartridge.

Are personal insults and name calling allowed here now? I don't appreciate your comments.

Harley Quinn
December 12, 2010, 03:20 PM
Regarding OP, I am for the quote...If the trigger is pulled and to the rear and slide is closed you know it is unable to shoot:uhoh:

The way I like to have them in the house...Ready, willing and able:)

You can always just leave the slide closed on an empty chamber with a loaded mag in the gun, and just stroke the slide to charge it.

The_Tinman
December 12, 2010, 07:40 PM
If it's for storage, sounds like an invitation for dirt dust and grit, not to mention stress on the recoil spring. I like to keep my guns ready when I'd like them to be otherwise locked and out of other's reach. The sound of racking the slide I also find demoralizing to an intruder. I wouldnt do it in my gun but it's not my gun.

goon
December 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
Why would anyone store a semi-auto with the slide locked back? I just don't see the point in it.

FAS1
December 13, 2010, 11:36 AM
Cause if the house catches on fire, the round will cook off and kill the fireman trying to put the fire out?

rc

I never really thought about that. I am going to ask a couple friends that are Firemen if they have had that experience.

What if it was holstered so the trigger was covered and stored in a Fast Action Safe that was constructed of 3/16" (7GA) steel?

Would a handgun round penetrate the container in such a scenario and at what velocity after going through the steel plate? Since mine is mounted to my bed frame with the muzzle pointed toward the exterior wall behind my headboard it would also have to penetrate the interior wall and brick exterior. I think our safe provides the best level of security and access on the market today.

http://fas1safe.com/images/12421583724691669415992.jpeg

http://fas1safe.com/images/1242157303935102392626.jpeg

Creature
December 13, 2010, 11:45 AM
I never really thought about that. I am going to ask a couple friends that are Firemen if they have had that experience.

I watched a house in my neighborhood burn to the slab because the firemen refused to enter it when they discovered that ammunition was inside and popping off from the heat.

PabloJ
December 13, 2010, 01:07 PM
I watched a house in my neighborhood burn to the slab because the firemen refused to enter it when they discovered that ammunition was inside and popping off from the heat.
Fifty cal metal boxes full of ammo plus hot flames would seem like disastrous combination. If I knew that was stored in a house I would let it burn to the ground.

JPG19
December 13, 2010, 01:44 PM
Sounds like what he really wants is a hammer fired pistol. On my P95, I chamber a round, then flip the decocker (mine is decock only). This way the pistol is ready to go in DA mode with a deliberate pull of the trigger, but there is no stored energy in the springs that could cause the round to go off. The hammer is at rest against the back of the frame, the firing pin is held by both the firing pin spring and the trigger block, no way for it to hit the primer.

By this logic, a Glock with the round chambered should suffice.

Seven For Sure
December 13, 2010, 01:47 PM
If any rds. cooked off just ones in the chamber would be dangerous. There would'nt be sufficient pressure to have bullets flying around. The cases would probably have more velocity than the bullets because they're lighter. My guns are stored in a safe that's supposed to take an hour at 1200 degrees to destroy paperwork. If you're really worried start small but get a quality safe that has decent fireproofing.

bsctov
December 13, 2010, 04:45 PM
Also id just like to point out...that im the only one in this room whos professional enough to handle this weapon.. hehehe

BP Hunter
December 13, 2010, 05:33 PM
I would understand the "paranoia" of a new gun owner. I think all of us have been there one way or another. The other day, I caught my friend, a new gun owner, practicing slowly racking the gun. I asked him in confusi0on what he was doing. He told me that he was "quietly" racking the gun, so the bad gun doesn't hear it. In a way, I understood him, but did not agree with him. Every gun owner needs to understand and be comfortable with a loaded gun. Modern handguns will not "suddenly" go off. Those companies cannot afford to make those mistakes. The liabilities are just too staggering high.

I would advise that you "load" the gun with a snap cap. And keep it there, handle it, carry it, drop it for one month. It won't go off. Once you are comfortable with it, then keep a live round in it.

Good luck!

xm21
December 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
Reaper4206969 said "mechanically fine,tactically foolish",most eloquent response I ever read.

Full Metal Jacket
December 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
this thread is cracking me up :)

i don't know what the long term affects on the recoil spring are, as no one's stored a pistol with the slide locked back for an extended time and reported the affects.

so i can't attest to that. i can say that it's something i wouldn't do.

just leave it chamber empty if he doesn't want one in the pipe.

as for a round going off and taking out a fireman....:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Storing a glock 19 with slide locked back" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!