Need to lean on your experience

PDA

mugsie
December 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
I built a 260 Rem on a Savage 300 Win Mag doner action, using a Shileen barrel and a SSS varment / tactical stock. I'll be taking this rig out anywhere from 300 to 600 to 1000 yards. I'm looking to work up a tuned load using SMK 142g HPBT bullets. At the moment, I'm using Lapua brass, and H4831SC powder. The Hodgdon site recomments anywhere from 45 to 47.5 which is a compressed load (don't know why, but I'm never comfortable with a compressed load). I'm also using WLR primers. At the moment, I have 5 loaded at 45, 5 at 46, and 5 at 47. I'll give them a try this week at 100 yards for best groups.

So - what are the rest of you using? have any of you found a "best" powder bullet combination for these distances? I'm not locked in to any powder at the moment (although I need to use up the 4831).

OK - what say ye?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to lean on your experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JimKirk
December 12, 2010, 11:08 PM
I don't load the 260, but I do many other calibers. I use compressed loads all the time with out any problem. My favorite 243 load is a compressed load of IMR 7828. Don't fear compressed loads if they are recommend in a manual.

Jimmy K

~z
December 13, 2010, 06:42 AM
magsie, while not a 260, I have a similar set up in 6.5/284 and also shoot the 142 SMKs. I have found good results from a compressed load of H4831SC. Also try RL22 and if you are running a long barrel try RL25. H1000 is also another that works well with the 6.5mm bullets.
Good luck!
~z

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to lean on your experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!