Interdynamics KG-99

PDA

TheNewbie
December 13, 2010, 01:02 PM
Recently a friend of mine came to me with a list of firearms which he inherited through a death in the family. Among the list he pointed out a few that he really, really wanted me to consider buying or finding out more about. Among this list was, of course, the Interdynamics KG-99. He wasn't able to find a price from the gunshop he took it to, the owner saying it was a full-auto firearm, but upon researching I found this to be the contrary. The KG-99 is, apparently, actually a redesign of the TEC-9 in an attempt to make it harder to convert to full auto.

So after finding this out I have to double check my facts on this; is the KG-99, standard, semi-automatic? Around what price is it for the firearm? I want to buy it from them because of my interest and because they really don't like having it laying around the house, but I don't want to rip them off just because of that.

I guess the other question I should ask is if there's any way to tell if its been converted to full-auto aside from firing it. And, of course, is there anything I should take into account about the firearm, such as illegality or anything of the sort. Just trying to find out all I can, basically.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interdynamics KG-99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
December 13, 2010, 03:25 PM
The KG-9 was an open bolt gun and far too easy to convert to full auto and was banned from importation in 1982.

The KG 99 was the closed bolt version of the semi auto KG 9 firearm. It is NOT a fully automatic weapon. KG 99 was the interim version of the pistol before Interdynamics became Intratec. The KG-99 is functionally a Tec-9 with slight cosmetic differences. The Tec 9 came later, not before.

The Interdynamic version should be worth slightly more than your average pre-ban Tec 9 but you are still talking about a pistol worth $800 or so at top dollar. That is new in the box, wrapper, unfired, the manual and magazines included. The collector value of this item is fairly low expect a more realistic price of $500.

Local laws where you reside may restrict ownership of such a weapon as it was demonized in the 'assault weapons ban'. Many local municipalities ban it BY NAME.

TheNewbie
December 13, 2010, 04:05 PM
Do you happen to know of a good, easy place to find out if such a firearm is banned in a certain state or municipality? I'd call the local police for information but I really don't like the idea of having suspicion drawn onto me just because I'm relatively young and asking about a potentially illegal firearm.

I've also seen this firearm selling for much less than $500, mostly on bids, so is that a price for a used, good condition? I've seen it myself and there's a bit of pitting, but nothing too bad.

Dr.Rob
December 13, 2010, 10:00 PM
General overviews:

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws (click on your state for starters).

There are multiple cities with more restrictive laws. Really can't help you more specifically unless you want to say where you live.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interdynamics KG-99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!