50 cal bp muz loader sabot used in trapdoor

PDA

glock907
December 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
has anyone tried to use 50cal sabots in 50-70 trapdoor rounds
if so any advise on powder charge. i dont have any sopft lead and cant get any and wish to use rifle for deer season. is there any danger to load with sabots any help please:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "50 cal bp muz loader sabot used in trapdoor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rocklock
December 13, 2010, 03:44 PM
Load them like you would a muzzleloader. The bullet needs to be seated down tight to the powder charge, preferrably slightly compressing the powder. Any air gaps can lead to a big kaboom. I'm assuming your sabot round is lighter than the original bullet, so a case loaded to capacity with enough room left to seat the bullet, using 2f blackpowder or Pyrodex RS, should be fine in a trapdoor since that is how they were originally loaded. I don't have any experience with the other blackpowder substitutes in a cartridge gun, but some of those will most likely work, too. Since you want to use a sabot, you might want to check the rate of twist on your trapdoor, it needs to be fairly fast to stabilize a saboted bullet, and also, I don't know if the bore diameter of an original .50-70 matches up with .50 sabots manufactured today. Might need to slug that barrel if you haven't already done that.

glock907
December 13, 2010, 04:01 PM
filling shell to capacity with room for sabot wont be to much powder will it?

Chawbaccer
December 13, 2010, 04:23 PM
I doubt you would have to seat the sabot any deeper than the original lead bullet, so therefore you should get about the same 70 grains of powder as originally called for.

Zeke/PA
December 13, 2010, 04:38 PM
I wish that you lived closer.

rdstrain49
December 13, 2010, 05:54 PM
I think you may want to reduce the charge by about 10%. The plastic cup will seal better than a patch and increase pressure. Plastic cups that replaced the wads in rifles were common 30 years or so ago. The manufacturers all recommended a 10% reduction in the charge then work up from there if necessary.

glock907
December 14, 2010, 01:14 AM
it looks like the most powder i can get in will be about 60 gr by valume.
the sabots are hornady 50 cal 44-240 gr xtp.
i dont have any pyrodex but i do have some old black canon powder and
goex clear shot. see any problems?

arcticap
December 14, 2010, 02:40 AM
Even when it was a brand new product that was freshly made, I could never get Black Canyon Powder to fire at all. So like many folks, I just dumped it down the drain and considered it a lesson learned.
But on the other hand Goex Clear Shot is a powder that works.

Pete D.
December 14, 2010, 06:05 PM
It will probably work. I did something similar with the 45-70 and .45 cal sabots using .357 dia. bullets.
The one problem that you might have to deal with is getting a tight enough seat.
The .50 cal sabots. IIRC, are 0.50" and the 50-70 is .510" - so a tad larger. It may not be an issue but then again....
Pete

If you enjoyed reading about "50 cal bp muz loader sabot used in trapdoor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!